Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mooney v Gillingham

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Whilst editing the highlights from the game I have to say I thought Mooney actually had a very good game.
There were several times he spun off his marker very cleverly, he was unlucky to get knocked out the way by the gills keeper on another occasion when he hopefully would have scored, yes he missed a one on one in the second half but the goal was world class, if you havnt seen it check out the way he drags the ball from one foot to another before netting with an unstoppable shot and there was another moment when he linked up excellently with Sam and Sodje with the latters shot going straight at the keeper.

At the time I thought he was wrong to raise his hand to his ear when he scored as I feel that in a lot of the games he has been very dissapointing and warranted critism but this was a very good performance. So whats the problem? He is obviously inconsistant which is why he is not in the Reading team presently but surely any footballer who can score the type of goal he did on saturday has genuine ability.

Based on that performance and goal do you not feel that he is worth a punt and with a bit of coaching he will be a useful signing if he can show more consistancy and composure on a regular basis. But after some of the treatment he has received of late such as being booed before kick off and at half time on Saturday, would a player really want to commit himself to a club where he has been targeted for abuse. As far as "a bit of coaching" is concerned, this is an area we need to address and get in a coach with proven goalscoring experience.

Comments

• Sir Clive is apparently at a loose end...
  • a big cheer for mooney next few matches
  • Im inclined to agree.

As Parky said he is very inexperienced at league level and would not be too expensive. Seems to like it here and weighs in with the odd goal.

I still compare him to Andy Hunt in that he doesn't have much pace or strength but he is very intelligent as a footballer - probably borne out of playing to his strengths!

If he had an intelligent and mobile strike partner he would score more goals too I think - especially with someone like Shelvey behind them as he is able to pick out a pass.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]If he had an intelligent and mobile strike partner he would score more goals too I think
    Same could be said of Burton, who at the moment has what Mooney has to his game plus a bit more. Some of that's probably down to experience, which Mooney is still getting, even though he's not that young.

With his limitations physically and generally not being a great finisher he's a decent player in this league and at the moment nothing more. Can see why he's nowhere near the Reading team at the moment. Don't agree with all the "how is he a professional footballer" though, he's not great but he's doing ok in this league.
  • I think he's an intelligent player but he doesn't always have the ability to finish things off. Makes good runs into the channels and finds space between defence and midfield to offer an outlet, but then can easily get knocked off the ball. I get the impression he seems to do more at the Valley than in away games, so maybe we should go 4-4-2 at home with Mooney, and 4-5-1 away with Shelvey.
  • Still not convinced.
  • Mooney won the OS MOTM award by an overwhelming margin. I thought he did ok on saturday but much like the rest of the team has been out of sorts for a little while. Only forward we have who makes those runs but wish he had a little more presence about him. Sign him for division one next season ? A yes from me.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]I think he's an intelligent player but he doesn't always have the ability to finish things off. Makes good runs into the channels and finds space between defence and midfield to offer an outlet, but then can easily get knocked off the ball. I get the impression he seems to do more at the Valley than in away games, so maybe we should go 4-4-2 at home with Mooney, and 4-5-1 away with Shelvey.

just lacking composure in front of goal, like i said we need a coach in with proven goalscoring ability. would say Killer but the game has changed since then and beer is no longer considered an acceptable reward
  • Is composure something a player can learn in their mid 20s though? I think he could score a few at this level over a full season, but not convinced he'd ever be a 20+ a season striker.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Is composure something a player can learn in their mid 20s though? I think he could score a few at this level over a full season, but not convinced he'd ever be a 20+ a season striker.

nor me but 15 would be good providing the other striker weighed in with the same
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Mooney won the OS MOTM award by an overwhelming margin

Those polls mean, NOTHING as one person can sit there and click it over, over and over again.

I'd quite like to see Mooney and Jonjo in the same team, think it could prove quite dangerous.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Mooney won the OS MOTM award by an overwhelming margin

Those polls mean, NOTHING as one person can sit there and click it over, over and over again.

I'd quite like to see Mooney and Jonjo in the same team, think it could prove quite dangerous.

for who..us or them :-)

yes tho.agreed
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Mooney won the OS MOTM award by an overwhelming margin

Nice to agree with you for once Stu :-)
  • Also agree, both about the polls (no idea why they're designed like that, does make them pointless) and Mooney/Shelvey.
  • Watching the goal again Racon's ball is is hit fairly hard but Mooney kills and controls it very well.
  • The OS polls are flawed, but are surely in some way representative of peoples' opinions of the game.

Mooney's goal was an absolute beauty, one of our best this season. If he can add consistency to his game he'd be a good League 1 player. I could say the same about several of our players.
  • maybe they just need to be managed better and motivated..maybe theres nothing wrong with the players
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]maybe they just need to be managed better and motivated..maybe theres nothing wrong with the players

I can see why people make this argument, but it's not one that I agree with. I know Parky isn't the greatest manager in the world, but in my eyes we have several players with technical flaws, and no amount of motivation and good man management is going to change that. These technical deficiencies, coupled with our inconsistent individual performances, is the reason we're struggling a little bit at the moment.
  • just playing devils advocate again. maybe we just have to accept that our expectations have been too high since Curbishley left or that he did an out of this world job that nobody could ever live up too.
  • [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]just playing devils advocate again. maybe we just have to accept that our expectations have been too high since Curbishley left or that he did an out of this world job that nobody could ever live up too.

Can't argue with that, choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]just playing devils advocate again. maybe we just have to accept that our expectations have been too high since Curbishley left or that he did an out of this world job that nobody could ever live up too.
    I think that ties in with what dabos is saying, motivation and good man management won't make our midfielders read the game and position themselves better, it won't turn Burton and Mooney into clinical finishers or improve Sam's lack of quality movement. With those limitations in our players we shouldn't be expecting to play good football every week and walk the league (as a few people have said we should).

I know some will say good coaching will help, but these aren't young players coming through, these are the players who have big weaknesses in their game and are only a few years off their peak. In the case of Burton, Llera and Richardson, they're somewhere around their peak already and Dailly had his peak as a Premier League player years ago.
  • [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]maybe they just need to be managed better and motivated..maybe theres nothing wrong with the players

Or maybe they need to motivate themselves and stop making silly mistakes.

They don't appear to have the same high levels of confidence they did early on but if think back to the first game of the season v Wycombe we were flying and in total control until they scored and our players confidence and our game went to pieces.

Right now we have a lot of good (for this level) players lacking confidence IMHO so they take an extra touch or the safe option rather than the more adventurous attacking football we have played before.

Yes, motivation is down to Parky and Kinsella as well but it also has to come from the players themselves as does application. The closing down for the Gills first goal was non-existent and no one tracks Birchham as he makes his run. That's not Parky's fault, that is just slack play.

Overall the buck stops with the manager and Parky needs to get the players playing but the players themselves can't avoid a lot, if not most, of the blame for what actually happens on the pitch.
  • Thought at the time that it was a good finish. Very Mendonca-esque. Having seen it again I would argue that it is infact a cracking strike.

Mooney is still a bit of an enigma for me. He is very very lightweight and I suppose at his age that isn't going to change.

He would help himself a little if he didn't go looking for cheap freekicks. I think he goes to ground very easily.

I've said before in other threads that he hasn't looked the same player since the injury. He seems a yard short of pace.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]He is very very lightweight
    Would you say he's any more lightweight than say Racon or Sam? Or does playing up front next to big centre backs make him look weaker than he is? You can see with Wagstaff for example his lack of strength only shows when he's going up against players, and Mooney has to do that more often being a striker and playing in a central position.
  • Quality touch, turn - and goal. Class.

If some Premiership primadonna did that, then the TV muppet show pundits would never stop blathering on and on about it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]He is very very lightweight
    Would you say he's any more lightweight than say Racon or Sam? Or does playing up front next to big centre backs make him look weaker than he is? You can see with Wagstaff for example his lack of strength only shows when he's going up against players, and Mooney has to do that more often being a striker and playing in a central position.

I'd say that all 3 are lightweight.

As I said I don't think he has been the same player since the injury. Had high hopes during his first loan spell and the getting knocked off the ball so easily was never really an issue for me.
  • He does seem to have lost a little bit of pace.

I was really meaning if you put either of those two up front, they'd look even more lightweight than they do now with big centre backs challenging them. He is lightweight but not so much that he can't make up for it in other ways, if he's on form.
  • A couple more goals and we'd love him, back him and he'll get them. Boo him and knock his confidence, and he won't.
  • He didn't look lightweight at all on Saturday, thought he put his weight about well in the first half and held the ball up a couple of times really well when it was required.
  • I've always liked Mooney. I also share the same views of the ones around where i sit at the Valley. He Works harder than anyone, gets in the right positions, if only he can finish (like he has proved) more often.

How can Mooney get stick? I'd wouldn't give any player in a Charlton Shirt stick..But if i did, then i wouldn't look further than Players like Bailey and Racon. Two of our supposed biggest players...One (Bailey) Is one of the worst footballers on the ball that we have, and Racon goes missing. Bailey gets his praises from his hard thought battles and getting in the right positions, but when that fight is not there, he is a nobody on the pitch. Rather stick Shelvey and Semedo in the middle, with Bailey starting then making way for Wagstaff if that fight (like it has been so often) is not there yet again.