Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

OK - so if we don't go up who would you like us to try to sign

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
I'm assuming there will be players leaving and that money will be very tight.

Any of the current loanees deserving of a contract? Or are we restricted to freebies? Or maybe a rough diamond from non league

For me I think Mooney might be worth a punt.
Johnnie Jackson certainly deserves another look
Keane at Luton seems to tick a lot of boxes - especially as Bailey isn't likely to be here next year
There was a young winger at Livingston mentioned - I did some reading up on him at the time and it seems he is very highly regarded up there (the next Snodgrass maybe)

Either way I think our scouts will need to earn their corn in the coming months because as much as I love this team - I can't see us getting up this year

Comments

• Mooney - no thanks !! I'd rather we signed a striker that can score goals a bit more regularly. Maybe one that can step up from League 2 or is a Bosman from a current League 1 club.
  • Johnnie Jackson should be signed regardless of what division we are in, he was getting loads of praise when he was in the Championship so I'm sure he would be good there.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]a Bosman from a current League 1 club

I like your thinking. Jermaine Beckford come on down !!
  • The thing is with this is if we don't go up there will be plenty of discussions over Parky, but for finding frees and loans from Championship, League One and Two clubs, he's probably better than quite a few managers we'd be able to get.

I really don't know, would need to see who's out of contract. A lot of players should be as most players at this level and below will be on 1 or 2 year deals.

Unless Mooney can become a lot more consistent I'd hope we could find more of a goalscorer.

Just make sure if we go for non-league players we get someone with a decent all round game, or at least a bit more to their game that we can work with. We've failed to do that when we've signed one over the last few years, Dickson, Fleetwood, Dorian Smith and I feel like I'm missing someone else.
  • Ryan Hall, that goalie from Bermuda or wherever he was from that was meant to be comig on trial...poss worth another look at these two.

I would go for a mix of Bosmans from Prem-League1. We have had 3 years of trying to find diamonds in the lower leagues and look where it has left us!
  • don't know who's available, not my job too, but for example Charlie MacDonald was out of contract in the summer but just re-signed to Brentford so one we've missed out on who is better than what we have currently got.
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Ryan Hall, that goalie from Bermuda or wherever he was from that was meant to be comig on trial...poss worth another look at these two.

I would go for a mix of Bosmans from Prem-League1. We have had 3 years of trying to find diamonds in the lower leagues and look where it has left us!

can't see us being able to afford any PL Bosman's !!
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]don't know who's available, not my job too, but for example Charlie MacDonald was out of contract in the summer but just re-signed to Brentford so one we've missed out on who is better than what we have currently got.

They can probably pay him more than we can, Large?
  • Who was the fella that scoed Yeovil's goal for them down at Huish park earlier this season he was good i would take him on. Also Simeon Jackson stright away and bring Chris Dickson back too :-)
  • Brett Pitman from Bournemouth for me if we can scrape a few pennies together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember Jackson isn't actually left back, he's a central midfielder. I'm not sure he's what we need, I'd like to see us add a few more powerful and aggressive players to the midfield. If we keep Spring I wouldn't have hope of a good season with him playing alongside Jackson in the middle for example.

ColinTat has often pointed out that we've had decent footballing but 'soft' midfielders for a while now. We're likely to keep players like Wagstaff and I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Racon is still here, they're decent players but as Ambrose has shown at Palace, need the right players alongside them. Unfortunately it won't be easy finding someone powerful who is also a half decent footballer and has the brain to use it properly.

I think this is part of the reason people say we have good midfielders, but we're still yet to find a good balance that means we have a mixture of power and aggression, and skill and creativity.
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]don't know who's available, not my job too, but for example Charlie MacDonald was out of contract in the summer but just re-signed to Brentford so one we've missed out on who is better than what we have currently got.
    I did think he might be out of contract the other day, shame as he'd probably do a decent job.
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    can't see us being able to afford any PL Bosman's !!
    Possibly some young players that have proven themselves out on loan before but weren't good enough to stay in the Prem.
  • edited March 2010
    If we don't go up, what saleable assets do we have?
    To my mind only Bailey and Jonjo.
    I'd keep Jonjo and give him the attacking midfielder role.
    I'd get what we can for Bailey and use it to try and get that elusive goalscoring forward - I have absolutely no suggestions!
    I'd also try to get Jackson. EDIT and Kyel Reid if possible
    I think we'd have enough options in midfield
  • Depends a lot on what is left given that 14 players are out of contract and we will probably still be saddled with the running sore of Moo2's alleged £8K a week.

If Dailly can still do it I'd give him another year. The same applies to Burton. We need one or two old heads. The chances are that we will have to find a new midfield as Bailey, Shelvey, Racon, Sam and Semedo will almost certainly be off either to save wages or as, probably, our only marketable assets even if we want to retain them.

Andrew Crofts at Brighton is somebody I'd look at at. Kent boy and played the holding midfield role at Gillingham whilst also scoring his share of goals even in the Championship. Had a decent game for Brighton against us too when we lost at home to them recently.

Basey and Waggy have done enough to be offered new deals and I'd give serious consideration to playing Basey in the "Semedo" role. We can then have a quicker left back (hopefully) Youga or perhaps Jackson if we can afford him although we may want to use him in midfield.

Looking at our existing loanees, and remembering that the question relates to another season in league 1, I'd consider Reid and Mooney.

Hard to say a lot more until we know who of the existing lot are off.
  • edited March 2010
    Do any of the sides going down from league 1 have any players worth signing? Southend are in financial trouble so they might have 1 or 2 worth nicking on the cheap?

If we were going to look for a goalscorer i think it'd have to be in league 2. Norwich got Holt from Shrewsbury so maybe someone else can step up. Rochdale have a couple but they're coming up so i doubt they'd sell. Le Fondre at Rotherham scores loads, maybe Benson at Dagenham. Let's be realistic we're not going to afford a goalscorer from our division or higher.
  • edited March 2010
    Really feel that this will be the year for Shelvey to step up to the plate, and others that are on the fringes.....
    Cannot see much money for new players, and frankly this squad has a lot that need to 'move on'.

But then there is a big leap of faith to assume that we will go up first..........
  • Johnny Jackson
    Andrew Crofts
    Jon Obika (the Yeovil loanee)

How about Jonny Evans brother, Cory? nowhere near United first team but has played for NI i think.
    Was the Livingston guy- Halliday?
    Rasiak

Keep if we can: Burton, Dailly, Sam Sodje, Basey, Waggy and Solly
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]
    But then there is a big leap of faith to assume that we will go up first..........
    This threads for if we don't go up ;-)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]Brett Pitman from Bournemouth for me if we can scrape a few pennies together.[/quote]

Another one to possibly get regardless of what division we are in, to score that many goals at his age is a good feat, sounds like another Sam Vokes.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]Brett Pitman from Bournemouth for me if we can scrape a few pennies together.

Good shout but no chance. If Bournemouth don't go up this year Howe will be off, probably to a Championship club and I'm sure he'd take him with him. Couldn't go far wrong to get them both as a package though...
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite] Andrew Crofts at Brighton is somebody I'd look at at. Kent boy and played the holding midfield role at Gillingham whilst also scoring his share of goals even in the Championship. Had a decent game for Brighton against us too when we lost at home to them recently.

If we didn't go up why would Crofts leave Brighton to come to us? With Poyet turning things round for them at last and them playing really good football, and an expected complete overhaul of our squad in the summer, you could argue that they'd be a stronger side than us next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Andrew Crofts at Brighton is somebody I'd look at at. Kent boy and played the holding midfield role at Gillingham whilst also scoring his share of goals even in the Championship. Had a decent game for Brighton against us too when we lost at home to them recently.

If we didn't go up why would Crofts leave Brighton to come to us? With Poyet turning things round for them at last and them playing really good football, and an expected complete overhaul of our squad in the summer, you could argue that they'd be a stronger side than us next season.

You could indeed.

However they have the expense of a new ground to build so even in our impoverished state we could probably make it financially worthwhile when you also consider that Crofts' family are based in Rainham Kent which is more local to Charlton than Brighton.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]Brett Pitman from Bournemouth for me if we can scrape a few pennies together.

Good shout but no chance. If Bournemouth don't go up this year Howe will be off, probably to a Championship club and I'm sure he'd take him with him. Couldn't go far wrong to get them both as a package though...

Would love that. Eddie Howe's probably the best young manager around at the moment. Only 32 years old! Bournemouth will be going up though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]Brett Pitman from Bournemouth for me if we can scrape a few pennies together.

Would love that. Eddie Howe's probably the best young manager around at the moment. Only 32 years old! Bournemouth will be going up though.
    Will only take one bad job before he's seen as a very average manager that got lucky at one club though. At that age he'd be a big gamble for any club that does get him.
  • True. Although the job he's doing at Bournemouth is nothing short of a miracle!
  • If Crofts is out of contract, he may fancy the move.

Have respect for the guy as last year, he turned down going with the Wales squad to play in a friendly so he could play for Brighton in a vital game v Gills. This was when Brighton were close to the bottom.

Le Fondre signed a 3year deal at Rotherham so no chance there. I read here that someone thought Benson was not really good enough for the step up to League 1. Pitman would cost money we do not have.
  • edited March 2010
    Benson I do remember something about him not being that great as well, we have Dickson already who is a pure goalscorer and very little else, not sure that's what we need. Might not be true or even him though.
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]True. Although the job he's doing at Bournemouth is nothing short of a miracle!
    Is doing a great job but it's much harder to rate managers than players. Very hard to tell who is a future great and who's just a decent young manager.
  • For me: Johnny Jackson and Kyel Reid. Bret Pittman is a realistic target as Bournemouth are desperate for money. Tresor Kandol, Obika (loan) and a decent right winger after letting Sam leave.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Will only take one bad job before he's seen as a very average manager that got lucky at one club though...

Sounds like someone else we know that!

You don't do what he's done at Bournemouth without a great deal of ability at getting he most out of limited players under extreme circumstances. Both he and Pitman will end up in the Championship within the next 2 years if not higher IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Will only take one bad job before he's seen as a very average manager that got lucky at one club though...

Sounds like someone else we know that!

You don't do what he's done at Bournemouth without a great deal of ability at getting he most out of limited players under extreme circumstances. Both he and Pitman will end up in the Championship within the next 2 years if not higher IMO.
    Dowie? Pardew? Not sure who you're talking about ;-)

Not saying he won't, just was more of a general point. It's happened to a lot of managers. Boothroyd another example.
  • Adam le frondre at rotherham goal machine.