Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memories of Selhurst (EXILE YEARS)

Whats you memories of Selhurst - The exile years.
I'll start

Someone getting 100/1 on the 3-3 game against Oxford - Young lad at the back of the Holmesdale Terrace - Didnt Watson get a hat trick?

Palace Jim - Anyone remember him? Think I remember seeing him at the Valley when we returned.

Kicking off against West Ham in the Cup and in a Friendly, Hales Testimonial?

Being outnumbered against Millwall and West Ham at Home.

Greasy Spoon Cafe

Always wrecking the train after every game.

Kicking off against QPR

Worst game ever Blackburn Boxing day 0-0

Steamrollering the mighty Kettering 2-1

Thats just for starters I will remember more

Comments

• Melrose's hat-trick is a stand out moment as are the two Full Members Cup ties with gates less than 1,000.
  • Hereford, still got the ticket, I will put photo on here!
  • Going on the pitch when we got promotion and singing "we should have stayed at the Valley"

Beating Chelsea 3-0 in a night game - Morts great goal.

That game v Everton. Paul Williams and Carl Leaburn - the ying and yang of strikers

Pre-the move there little kids stoning the trains as you left Norwood Junction St.
  • my sister and I discussing the merits of spitting in a liverpool fans drink during a 3-0 defeat.
  • All the good times in that chrystals with my bro (morts genius when he bothers to look on CL) and standing behind the advertising hoarding infront of the arf awake stand
  • The late great Peter Loveridge jumping over the hoardings in the Arthur Wait to chin the Linesman !!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]The late great Peter Loveridge jumping over the hoardings in the Arthur Wait to chin the Linesman !!!!

how funny was that,a classic moment!
  • do you think he got that temper from his brother ?
  • Pete loveridge, legend

rip pete dood
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Going on the pitch when we got promotion and singing "we should have stayed at the Valley"

What game was that then Henry ? If you mean the Fulham game then we were not actually promoted then. Promotion came at Brunton Park. I suppose if you were not making the trip to Carlisle you may have celebrated prematurately at Selhurst.
  • Sponsored links:

• We went on against the Wombles
  • edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Going on the pitch when we got promotion and singing "we should have stayed at the Valley"

What game was that then Henry ? If you mean the Fulham game then we were not actually promoted then. Promotion came at Brunton Park. I suppose if you were not making the trip to Carlisle you may have celebrated prematurately at Selhurst.

No, the game when we went on the pitch was Wimbledon which was after Carlisle. Memory playing tricks with you in your old age large.
  • I thought Carlisle was the last game of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I thought Carlisle was the last game of the season.

No, it was Wimbledon at home. We drew 0 - 0 and so finished as runners up behing Norwich.

You're young to be going senile, Large.
  • No it was a 0-0 against Wimbledon. They also got promoted that year and thought about coming on the pitch to celebrate with us - they then thought better of it........
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I thought Carlisle was the last game of the season.

No, it was Wimbledon at home. We drew 0 - 0 and so finished as runners up behing Norwich.

You're young to be going senile, Large.

Large, who's Large ??

Think I missed that game because of a wedding in Southampton. Or did I ??
  • Yes, you did. It was your own wedding but it wasn't Southampton, it was St Mary's Church Bexleyheath.
  • He didn't get married in Bexleyheath.

I think you went, Large. We sat in The half hour wait stand.

I actually have some fond memories of the Selhurst days. My hat-trick as Large mentionned for starters.

I always remember the game against Arsenal in the pouring rain. We were outside on The Sainsburys terrace. They had loads of fans that day.

The first game in the first division against Sheff Weds. I was one of the kids that ran around the pitch before the game. Does anyone remember that?

The semi-final against Norwich.

Throwing away so many games in the last minute.

Johnny H and Robert Lee running down the wing towards where we always stood. They were an inspiration to me. My own football improved so much during that first season in the first division. I got so much confidence - I used to go out on the pitch at school believing I was Robert Lee. Love the bloke.

The 'stayed at the Valley' chant as, Henry mentions
    And of course I loved the oooooooh jimmy jimmy. Jimmy jimmy jimmy jimmy meeeelrose!
  • I remember Pete Loveridge jumping the hordings and chinning the lino , was hull at home and i think he'd taken offence at the lino allowing Watson to be kicked while on the ground.

beating united 2-0 and a copper whacking me for celebrating then telling me the list of fictitious reaons he was gonna use when arresting me , this list included chanting colin walsh's name?
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Pete loveridge, legend

rip pete dood

here here, good mate of mine (and his brother)....sadly missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hmm let's see...
    In the promotion season, the home game against Millwall where we were 3-0 down by about 20mins in (was Tony Lange in goal?) but pulled back to 3-3 (by half time?), and the report of the game in the Mercury where Kevin Nolan spent most of it imagining Lennie in the psychiatrist's chair.
    Steve Thompson with his mane of blonde highlights throwing himself into a clearance against Liverpool in a televised match, and crashing into the hoardings behind the goal so he had to be carried off
    Beating Man City 5-0 on Boxing Day with 2 goals from Colin Walsh
    Danny Maddix own goal against QPR to take us into the play-offs
    Did Aizlewood get sent off or just booked when he caught the ball in the first leg of the Leeds play-off?
    The club managing to spell Morts surname wrong for about 6 months
    Micky Bennett causing himself a serious injury going for a 50-50 ball against QPR, and then Steve Gritt scoring a last minute equaliser at about 5 o clock cos the game had been delayed so long
    Steve MacKenzie having a shot that went out for a throw in against Arsenal (another Boxing day game?)
    The power going out two night games in a row
    Stuart Balmer scoring an own goal on his home debut
  • I spent seasons in three of the four sides of the ground. Never saw Charlton as home team from the Holmesdale end.
  • 1.the blue and red vw beetle used as a pitch roller.
    2.spent a lot of time stewarding after cafc requested using their own stewards as opposed to cpfc ones, (you think the 75 bus ride was boring, you wanna be at the ground at 12.30-5.30).
    3.abusing the above position to let in (and walk round) as many mates as possible.
    4.someone mentioned crystals bar, i'm sure we used to go in glaziers?
    5.seeing peter shirtliff after a game walking to the station, asked if he needed a lift anywhere, he refused. next day all over the papers the wife beating allegations.
    6.for some reason the watford keeper (not playing on the day) and usa international tony meola spending the entire 1st half talking to me.
    7.before becoming a steward, i think this was the 1st ground i had been to that you had to buy a ticket from 1 window then go to turnstiles.
  • The stink of piss in the arfur wait
    3-2 against everton
    5-0 against citeh
    Losing to Walsall in the 3rd round of the cup
    The full members semi against Norwich
    Getting sneered at by moody slags in the (ahem) 'catering' outlets
    Shirtlifter absolutely clattering peter 'monkey heed' reid
    Thommo sliding in to score in a night game in the promotion season (christ knows who it was against, but i remember the goal clearly for some reason!)
    Bolder pulling the crossbar down for some reason when jumping up to catch a corner (against wimbledon, another night game)
    The joy of watching John Humphrey play every week
    The absolute purgatory of travelling back from one shithole (Sellout) to another (Deptford - where I lived for the first 25 years of my life)
  • Well said 'Leroy'

John Humphrey was God. I think my Mum was in love with him. She used to swoon over him when he came to her till at Marks & Spencers.
  • The puddle in front of the Arthur Wait.
    The rickety special train from Charlton to Norwood Junction.
  • The Red Red Robin mascot (in the pre-Floyd and Harvey days)
    Beating Leeds 1-0 in the Play offs in 1987 and having my first real hero in Jim Melrose
    Beating Wimbledon 1-0 in a vital relegation game in 1989 with Leaburn the goal scorer and a fantastic penalty save from Bob Bolder
    The last game against West Ham thanking f**k we were leaving
  • edited April 2007
    Leeds play off final first leg.
    Coins showering us on the way out.

Mickey Bennett stopped the late great Peter Lover-rage from attacking the Hull player.
    (Pete was upset about the crunching slide tackle and simply lost it)!

Never ever beating Millwall

2-0 man u
    looping on the arf awake terrace
    (sheets of paper)
  • being a ball boy about a dozen times, running on the pitch just in front of the players and thinking its you being cheered !

the Derby home game and 'staying up' echoing round the ground.

Scoring against Arsenal at the start of the season, and the crowd singing 'we're gonna win the league'

Gordon Watson not going on to be a legend

West Ham completely taking over our leaving game (quite a fitting end to Selhurst)
  • Just bad ones, so many, many bad ones.

Even when we had won a game, I hated every second because we had won it there and I knew I had to go back again.

There were of course players who graced the shirt and whom I remember fondly, but in general I refuse to take anything positive from playing in that god forsaken hole.