Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who of our current players is going to "step up to the plate" and excel next season?

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
This year we had Semedo proving to be an excellent player and Youga also impressed greatly when he was fit. Randolph kind of came from nowhere (we all knew he was decent but he'd never had a run of games)

So who do we think has the potential next season to surprise us and make a name for themselves - who do we currently have that hasn't yet fully emerged? Who is our rought diamond?

Personally I like the look of Basey and hope he stays with us. His adaptability is pretty useful (CB, LB, LM, DCM), his delivery can be superb and he was improving last season before the Blizzard struck him down.
He may not be a world beater but he is certainly at home in the division and I think it's time for him to kick-on this year and become a fixture in the team.

Comments

• I think wagstaff particularly if Sam is offski. Been very impressed with his attitude and of what Ive seen of him. Hope that we have realistic expectations of the players coming through and not get on their case when they have off days.

Would also like to see some more of Tuna.
  • I'll name that Tuna...

Also agree that Wagstaff may have a prominent role, assuming he's not sold before the season starts.
  • Id also like to see a bit of tuna get some 1st team action. Heard good stuff about him. Imo semedo is the man we have to keep, his been immense this season and can only get better. As much as id love bailey to stay aswell i think he can be replaced if he does go. Theres only one jose.

Jose Jose Jose Jose semedo semedo

Not a mega basey fan tbh . Think borrowdale hasnt put a foot wrong. Although he doesnt give as much attacking option as granty, borrowdale has looked solid. His corners have been brilliant aswell. Knows where the dangerzone is (anyone know if borrowdale has gone back to qpr). Also richardson has really came on and been class for us this season. Need to keep him.
  • Tuna and Wagstaff. Although I'd like to see Racon take control of the midfield and step up a level. He had a real chance to prove himself this year and didn't take it.
  • if wagstaff gets a run i think he'll prove himself to be very useful. i can't really see any other youngster making a big impact. Solly, Basey and Tuna might get a few more games but i can't see them becoming first team regulars.

out of the others - think Akpo might surprise everyone and score 15+ goals.

• Racon and Mooney
  • We need to get Mooney back on a contract
  • Beware the wrath of Large, creepy...
  • Based on the small glimpse I got of him at Welling last year, Mambo looked like he had plenty of potential - would like to see him pushing for a start, hopefully alongside the experienced head of Dailly.
  • No one stands out to me at the moment.

Out of the young players, Solly assuming he stays will be hoping to finally get a run. If he does I think he'll impress, while making a few mistakes along the way. He is definitely a full back, unlike Basey, who still needs to find that best position if he is to become a regular.

Would like to see Wagstaff push on a bit, start effecting games from the start and putting in some decent crosses. Can't say he'll definitely do that, more hope that he will. Depends if he's first choice or not, otherwise he might just be a regular from the bench again.

Mambo it'll depend on who we sign. He might get lucky and end up 3rd choice, or have to go out on loan. Basey could end up being ahead of him at centre back.

Akpo - wouldn't go as far as 15 goals like Stebo, but if (big if) he gets fit and stays fit, he is capable of 10 or so goals. He will look non-league at times, but with the right service he can score at this level. Just unlikely to be regularly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Danny Welbeck
  • I have always believed that GB - Grant Basey - who has the same initials as Gareth Barry (GB)- would and should end up in that defensive left side role.I think he will be good enough to play there fro Wales too. OK he's not the quickest but neither is Barry!. I hope so. Then Kelly can play full back with one attacking 'winger' plus Semedo and one other attacking midfielder (who we probably don't have yet)
  • Akpo, 20 league goals.

It's a bold prediction and not based on any rational reason or anything that I've seen from him, but I just fancy him to have a season.
  • I'm not sure I see Waggy as a right winger in the long term. With his pace maybe as a front man or in the hole ( he's certainly got a good strike on him)

I too think Basey could be a good holding midfielder as he gas the physical attributes and a great left foot - he could be interchangeable with Jonnie Jackson too
  • Think Akpo will do well

Think if Racon is here and we have sold Bailey I expect him to show much better performances if only he could play like he did coming on as sub vs Swindon for a full 90 min...

Waggstaff needs to get stronger and needs to beat his man with the ball rather than rely on his pace all the time.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Akpo - wouldn't go as far as 15 goals like Stebo, but if (big if) he gets fit and stays fit, he is capable of 10 or so goals. He will look non-league at times, but with the right service he can score at this level. Just unlikely to be regularly.

Maybe you do Akpo a bit of a diservice there, Scoham?

Okay 1st touch and finesse are not his outstanding attributes - but he's reasonably effective IMO, and we've all discussed his strengths and weaknesses to the the nth degree already.

But in perhaps half a season in total, often from the bench or not even a sub appearance - he's picked up half a dozen goals.
    There was even a little run of 3 in 3 games, if I remember.

IMO with a regular run in the team, with the right players around him and a service suited to his abilities - I reckon he's worth 15 goals next season. As McLovin suggests, he might even be capable of hitting the fabled 20 goals a season mark.

All notional at this point in time, of course. But we'll know in a year's time.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite].
    There was even a little run of 3 in 3 games, if I remember.

[/quote]

yeah, he was our super-sub sodje for awhile.

scored the same amount of goals as Marcus Bent did in his entire time with us.
  • Oh I wasn't saying he definitely can't get more than 10. Was just saying if fit he can get a decent return, but around 15 or more, I'm just not so sure. Certainly needs the right service.

The non-league bit wasn't meant to sound so harsh, it's the same with a lot of strikers like him, or the likes of McLeod and Dickson. They'll all make stupid decisions at times, give away the ball easily, or miscontrol the ball. That can be ok at this level if they make up for it by scoring goals and offering other things to the team.

Someone like Mooney or Forster won't make so many basic mistakes, but then they don't have the pace or strength to do things a striker like Akpo does.
  • With the news of him signing up i can see Jodran Cousins getting a few games towards the end of the season. Solly needs to push on and injuries permitting i think this will be his season. wild card = Ben Davidsson.
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]With the news of him signing up i can see Jodran Cousins getting a few games towards the end of the season. Solly needs to push on and injuries permitting i think this will be his season. wild card = Ben Davidsson.
    All depends on what's happening. We wouldn't throw any youngsters in if there's still something to play for.

JPT and League Cup though, that's where his chance might come early on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Akpo needs to have a massive season, same goes for Racon if he stays.
  • think he is 16 though - same age Rooney came through. Most youngsters would not be thrown in, some are good enough even at that age...i have never seen him play so not sure how big / ready he is tbh.
  • He is 16 yeah. Have seen him a few times, very promising but I wouldn't say he's ready to be a regular just yet. As I said in the thread, although he can play in a few positions, he's got other young players ahead of him.

Who knows though, hopefully at the very least he'll have made some impact and shown he's just as promising as Steve Gritt is saying he is.
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]think he is 16 though - same age Rooney came through. Most youngsters would not be thrown in, some are good enough even at that age...i have never seen him play so not sure how big / ready he is tbh.

It's not always whether their skill levels on the ball are ready. I think the key to 16 year olds playing at League level invariably depends on how physically strong and developed they are.

At 16, Jonjo was already a 6 footer and amongst the strongest players at his level at that time.
    Likewise Rooney was as strong as an ox at 16.

Many players at that age may still have another 2 or 3 years growth to put on.
    Scott Parker for example, although promising and had made a handful of occasional appearances, wasn't really rady until he was 20 years old.

And it's not always about physical strength either - a young player also needs to have developed a mental strength and maturity to cope in pressure situations.
  • Very true Oggy.

Cousins is tall, about 6 ft I think, but in comparison to other England u16s, from what I saw he wasn't the strongest.

Can't always tell how they'll develop physically. Parker became physically and mentally a lot stronger very quickly, I bet plenty of fans didn't see that happening. As said before he was more of an attacking midfielder at a young age.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Parker became physically and mentally a lot stronger very quickly, I bet plenty of fans didn't see that happening. As said before he was more of an attacking midfielder at a young age.

Well remembered, Scoham.

Parker was creative but lightweight in his very occasional early 1st team appearances - and even though he showed a good 1st touch and an eye for a pass as an attacking midfielder, he couldn't tackle a wet paper bag. Curbs was always very protective of him and never concealed the fact that he always thought Parker was going to be a top player one day.

But he never made any real impact at 1st team level. Konchesky on the other hand, same age, 1st team debut at 16 made far more impression and appearances than Parker.

As we all know, Parker being farmed out to Norwich in the 2nd tier was his wake up call. He was no longer cossetted in Charlton's reserve string, and if he wanted to get a 1st team game at Norwich, he realised he had to roll up his sleeves and graft wherever there was a position, any position.

Playing as a tough tackling defensive midfielder for Norwich, he got rave reviews in his half a dozen or so matches.
    And when Kinsella got injured, he was recalled to cover.

Sure, he'd physically toughened up but in that month away he'd also grown up, mentally toughened up.
    That was the main difference.

And what a revelation he was in our midfield covering Kinsella. He was ready now; we couldn't believe Parker was the same player.
  • The flanks are a much more forgiving position for a young footballer, than the central areas. Never thought Parker was physically uncapable, when he came on against Newcastle and we were 2-0 down he immediately had the brains to push in to space in front of their defence when we had the ball and never looked outmuscled by them. Sure he didn't show a powerful tackle that he developed later but unlike Shelvey he had the intelligence where to get himself in to the game. Shelvey get's into the game by luck, Parker never did.

That's why I want Basey moved inside and if Semedo goes, he's a player that can transform our often profligate or slow cm passing. For me his performance against Barnet at cd was one of the most enthralling/exciting blossomings I've seen in years. OK so I was desperate for him to move inside, and maybe more willing for his success there but his tackling and heading was more dominant than Semedo in the breakdown areas around the box.

I look forward to Waggy. In one season he showed more willingness to bang into 50-50 challenges than Sam has ever shown. If he improves on his covering fb duties like Sam did astronomically in our first season back in the champ, then he'll be a full 90 min player unlike Sam; a player to break the Rommedahl disease.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]The flanks are a much more forgiving position for a young footballer, than the central areas.
    Very true that.

Basey had a good game v Barnet at centre back, would like to see him play there again. Basey's position next season will surely depend on other players, who stays and who we sign. Could end up fighting for a place at centre back, replacing Semedo in midfield, or still be kept as a left back.
  • Personally I'd be intrigued to see how Stavinrou would cope at this level. Haven't seen an awful lot of him, but he was a rare bright spark in last pre-season's friendly at Barnet, and I hope to see more of him this pre-season. Wagstaff I'd love to do well this season, and though I think we'll see a lot more of him, I suspect he'll frustrate as much as deliver. Much like the man he's likely to replace.

Interesting that most of the talk is about youngsters. Probably a sign of the level of uncertainty going into the new season. Of the others, Akpo, with a long run in the side, will score goals, if only as a battering ram. Would love to see Mooney back next season, but I doubt that's going to happen. Above all, though, the key for me is keeping Semedo. If we do that, and retain a consistent back line with Dailly and hopefully Youga featuring, we've the beginnings of a decent spine to the team.
  • I just can't understand why any of you want Mooney back, or is it a wind-up that I don't get?

One for next year - Tuna