Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harry Pell

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_rovers/8710291.stm

May have already been posted.

Comments

• Sad conflict of feelings on this one. On the one hand hope he makes a real success of it but on the other hope that I don't end up having a feeling of regret about one of ours doing well elswhere at this level.
  • http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10328~2083730,00.html

Few quotes from Harry Pell. As well as Bristol Rovers Gillingham and Wycombe also offered him a contract.
    "I don't think Charlton manager Phil Parkinson believed in a youth policy as much as Paul Trollope does. In my first year as a pro I made eight reserve team starts, so things were going quite well, but in my second year the reserve team folded and I went on loan to Hastings to play some first team football and to try and prove the gaffer that I deserved a place.

"I played 16 games at Hastings, and did quite well, but on my return the manager said that I wouldn't be playing first team football.

We're obviously going to have a youth policy, I think Parky just had to choose between Stavrinou and Pell, and Pell was the unlucky one. I'm sure if money was less of an issue we'd have kept both.
  • "I don't think Charlton manager Phil Parkinson believed in a youth policy as much as Paul Trollope does......

Well this is the season to get these youngsters in the squad, never going to be a better time, or more obvious....
  • It raises an interesting question. We have tried very hard to keep our academy going recently but something had to give and it was the reserve team. This means there is no opportunity to blood the youngsters. Is it therefore worth actually putting so miuch money into a team that then either goes on loan or makes a massive jump to the first team.
  • I firmly believe that being part of the reserve league would have ensured our promotion last season, Jonjo and others would have maintained or achieved match fitness while not being in the first team, so that when they were recalled they could hit the ground running, instead they had to adjust from training ground matches to first team duty. I accept that reserve team activity is not the 1st time but it reduces the gap.
  • the problem with mr.parkinson he has never rated any of the young players even jonjo. he talks a good talk but when it comes to the crunch he always goes after players hes worked with before. so harry pell come back and have a blinder against us and stick two fingers up at parkinson.because someone has to!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: sidcupterry[/cite]the problem with mr.parkinson he has never rated any of the young players even jonjo. he talks a good talk but when it comes to the crunch he always goes after players hes worked with before. so harry pell come back and have a blinder against us and stick two fingers up at parkinson.because someone has to!!!!
    I think he just tries to be cautious with them rather than not rating them. Look how Pardew ruined Wagstaff's confidence by playing him too early.

Last season was not the time to throw most of them into a promotion battle. Especially not in home games with a number of inpatient fans, who would be moaning after a couple of mistakes.

Could have used Jonjo more often I agree.
  • Curbishley was very cautious with youth players, and new players he'd just bought too for that matter, as well. He wouldn't throw them in until he was SURe they were ready.
  • Especially not in home games with a number of inpatient fans, who would be moaning after a couple of mistakes....Schoham

Spot on Schoham...... and I hope that I do not have to sit next to many of them this year!. We really need all the youngsters to step up this year, and they are gonna make mistakes.
    I thought that Chris Solly had some 'difficult' games last year, but the lad kept going to his credit. I am all for giving a player a bollocking, but a young player learning his trade,and getting slagged off does no one any good!
  • scoham....pardew ruined wagstaff not with putting him in early, but with the public slating he gave to him afterwards. what a pr......k!! but agree with your other points.pardew and parkinson same bad apple of the same tree.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: sidcupterry[/cite]scoham....pardew ruined wagstaff not with putting him in early, but with the public slating he gave to him afterwards. what a pr......k!! but agree with your other points.pardew and parkinson same bad apple of the same tree.
    True that didn't help, with him coming off at half time it was obvious he was talking about Wagstaff. Whatever anyone thinks about Parky, I don't think he'd say something like Pardew did about a young player.

Disagree he was ready, I remember him in pre-season that year, he did very little even whenever he played then (apart from a tap in against Ebbsfleet). Was probably more about being mentally ready, going on loan a couple of times after that Yeovil game probably helped. He definitely handles that better nearly 2 years on, doesn't look so nervous any more.
  • agree with that. parkinson never slates players in public so i will give him that.ready for wagstaff to have a big season this year unless he decides to leg it as well.
  • It will be interesting to see if Cousins makes it into the team this year. No reserves to put him into, but already a better player that Shelvey.
  • [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]It will be interesting to see if Cousins makes it into the team this year. No reserves to put him into, but already a better player that Shelvey.
    Bit early to say that isn't it, until he plays in the first team. Different type of player to Shelvey as well, so not like they can be directly compared.
  • how do u know cousins is better than shelvey or not.rated highly but on what evidence is this based on?
  • can someone post the videos on here please
  • edited March 7
    Wouldn’t expect anything less from that scummy club. Read somewhere they didn’t include the away fans in the MK attendance figure. Pathetic 
  • Wouldn’t expect anything less from that scummy club. Read somewhere they didn’t include the away fans in the MK attendance figure. Pathetic 
    You do know there is some history between the sides don’t you 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 7
    Wouldn’t expect anything less from that scummy club. Read somewhere they didn’t include the away fans in the MK attendance figure. Pathetic 
    If we blamed a club for taking Charlton from us, suspect we’d be every bit as ‘pathetic’. Kicking balls at the crowd is just dumb though.
  • Is Pell the one who was giving it bigguns' to the Covered End after scoring for Accrington (or Morcombe?) a few years ago. Seems he likes a bit unnecessary agro.
  • All it would have taken was for him to smack it into a pregnant woman for example, and he would be in a whole world of trouble.
  • Swisdom said:
    You do know there is some history between the sides don’t you 😀
    Am aware of the history but kicking footballs at innocent fans, really? 

You’ll be hard pushed to find a non league fan who wasn’t glad to see the back of them when the were promoted to the league. Arsehole fans, who believed the non-league was below them

Was disgusting what happened to them but maybe if they’d shown the same spirit as they did to reform at the time, maybe it wouldn’t have happened.

• Okay, everyone out
  • Think the fellas a prick , and wasn’t it a bunch of their fans that attacked 2 of ours at London Bridge a few years ago , Brave 
  • Wimbledon are a scummy club with scummy fans. MK are a made up club with non-existent fans. 
  • Is Pell the one who was giving it bigguns' to the Covered End after scoring for Accrington (or Morcombe?) a few years ago. Seems he likes a bit unnecessary agro.
    Lucky he wasn't sent off during that game, certainly looked like he had some grievance against Charlton.