Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New shape Focus vs VW golf

Been looking at these two cars and need some opinions from the lifers out there.

They both look good on the eye but what one to go for.

Happy to take recommendations on any other hatchbacks you lot have come across.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Definately the golf, just got something about it
  • It does look the business.
  • out of the two, golf without doubt... but then i drive a golf so i'm biased - but even if i didn't i would still go for the golf.
  • German.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]out of the two, golf without doubt... but then i drive a golf so i'm biased - but even if i didn't i would still go for the golf.

What golf you got?
  • I have just bought new POLO SE, basically as i needed at automatic and the GOLFS are too expensive. Had VW's for 20 years and would not buy anything else, you don't get the nobs and whistles but you get good cars which last and have class and low depreciation, loving my new car. Offer £250 for 3 years servicing at the moment
  • [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]I have just bought new POLO SE, basically as i needed at automatic and the GOLFS are too expensive. Had VW's for 20 years and would not buy anything else, you don't get the nobs and whistles but you get good cars which last and have class and low depreciation, loving my new car. Offer £250 for 3 years servicing at the moment

New shape polo's look really good. Did you get it from a dealer??
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]I have just bought new POLO SE, basically as i needed at automatic and the GOLFS are too expensive. Had VW's for 20 years and would not buy anything else, you don't get the nobs and whistles but you get good cars which last and have class and low depreciation, loving my new car. Offer £250 for 3 years servicing at the moment

Yes Beadles in Dartford. Was going to have to wait 6 months for the 5 door SE auto, but they then said they could get me "Charlton Red" in 2 weeks, think they must have noticed my car sticker on my other car! And i love it
  • [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]I have just bought new POLO SE, basically as i needed at automatic and the GOLFS are too expensive. Had VW's for 20 years and would not buy anything else, you don't get the nobs and whistles but you get good cars which last and have class and low depreciation, loving my new car. Offer £250 for 3 years servicing at the moment

Yes Beadles in Dartford. Was going to have to wait 6 months for the 5 door SE auto, but they then said they could get me "Charlton Red" in 2 weeks, think they must have noticed my car sticker on my other car! And i love it

Car selling at it's best!!! Did you haggle a good deal?? What extras are good with VW's?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]out of the two, golf without doubt... but then i drive a golf so i'm biased - but even if i didn't i would still go for the golf.[/quote]

What golf you got?[/quote]

it's a '00 Golf 1.6 16v SE - i love it, drives great and i've never had any problems with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Golf's seem to be winning this!!!! Is it better buying from the dealer rather than car supermarkets.
  • Ford Focus is made in Saarlouis in Germany and designed in Merkenich Germany. Funny about preconceptions about cars.
  • focus for me much sweeter
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]focus for me much sweeter

Have you driven one dazzler?
  • one of my mates has the 2009 focus st and one has just got the 2010 vw golf gti and the focus is nicer looking but the golf feels smoother if you know what i mean?

neither will let me drive them though ha ha ha!
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]one of my mates has the 2009 focus st and one has just got the 2010 vw golf gti and the focus is nicer looking but the golf feels smoother if you know what i mean?

neither will let me drive them though ha ha ha!

Yeh the focus feels a lot smoother than the golf. I need to do
    some serious thinking :(
  • [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]Ford Focus is made in Saarlouis in Germany and designed in Merkenich Germany. Funny about preconceptions about cars.

Also made in Spain, Mexico and Russia. Or it was when I worked for Ford.
    I used to see a lot of other car makers tooling / engineering all over Europe and there aint much difference in between here and the rest of world how cars are made.
    Only in this country we think German engineering is the mutts nuts. You can make cars to good standards anywhere in the world given the right process

Anyway both nice cars, I'd buy the cheapest whatever that is.
  • Has to be a Golf. I've had one for 2 years now and it is superb.
  • Focuses are just far too expensive for what you get.

The current Golf is the best family hatchback you can get. I would not choose either of them but if you have to decide then its the Golf.
  • Reliability there is probably not a lot in it.

I would literally put it down to which dealer gives you the better deal ie who throws in some extra years servicing etc. Also look into which one gives greater MPG as four or Five miles may not seem a lot now but with the ever escalating Fuel costs will tally up over time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Golf it looks like. Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks for everyones input.
  • You can get mechanically identical products in Skodas and Seats for thousands cheaper.

• edited July 2010
    What Car is a great mag but I really do think they are tremendously biased towards German makes and make out anything to come out of The land of the rising sun (even Toyota with their defective brakes but they held their hands up and coughed up) and the Pacific Rim (Kias/Hyundais) are inferior. Take a look at the ownership surveys and you will see at the top end come from the makes in over in the East and the top European make is usually Skoda (okay theres Jag and Porsche who usually make it to the top ten - hardly contemporary).

Anything from France and Italy are quite frankly gash.

But still choose the Golf though. Bluemotion Golf 74 mpg zero road tax very nice. Or the better specced but slightly "thirstier" Bluemotion Technology

Test drive both and see which you like
  • Used to drive a very old Golf and then a Jetta.

Had a more recent Focus Estate diesel and would have one again. Build quality and feel superb. Great drive. My Irish cousin used to sell Volvo and BMW and now drives a Range Rover. He sat in it and could not believe it was a Ford.

Now used by Essex Police.
  • I'm leaning towards the golf, and I will test drive both. The focus looks a lot better inside and comes with more extras. But the golf looks the buisness from the outside but struggles inside the car.
  • Make sure that you see the exact model on offer. My Focus was the top of the range TDI with cruise control and an amazing 6 speed gearbox for excellent fuel returns.

The Golf on offer may not match up as they normally use top of the range cars as demonstrators.
  • edited July 2010
    If you are gonna pay nearly 18-20 k on a Golf which I guess you will, maybe consider an Audi A3 then new or nearly used

Yes whilst its nice to buy a nice new car, you lose a lot of money to start such as the VAT as soon as you drive on the forecourt.
  • In a dramatic twist, the focus has taken the lead i have seen a nice 1.6 zetec. The golf looks to have the better engine but the focus looks alot better inside and the insurance isn't as bad.
  • Lets face it:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!