Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Absolute 80's or absolute 90's

Right for the last couple weeks we have been running a very poor survey of what is the better station.

now i always belived that if you took the dance music from the 90's you had nothing left

I am now believing i was wrong very wrong

does anyone else listen to the 2 stations and what is the better decade for music

for me so far the 80's seems to be the better decade

but after listening to

Toms Diner

chilli peppers

greenday

i am being turned

whats the consensus

Comments

• Im an 80's man, but both generations were great for one hit wonders.

Flip n fill - Shooting star ect.
  • 80s for me too.

Top of the pops was the biggest thing then and everyone knew who was in the Top Ten, or at least Number One.

There were a lot more weird acts (Post-punk/New Romantics/New Wave) about then too which was a lot of fun!

I think most 80s bands had an individual or unique sound/style too, whereas the 90s seemed a bit samey/copycat to me.
  • Verve was just

90's are having it today
  • 80's for me.

Toms Diner though, reminds me of a Brentford away pre season for some reason. Great days.

'Da da da da da da da da, we are Charlton from from the Valley'
    'Everyones a sucker for the Leaburn boots, Leaburn boots'
    Never heard them sung since.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]80's for me.

Toms Diner though, reminds me of a Brentford away pre season for some reason. Great days.

'Da da da da da da da da, we are Charlton from from the Valley'
    'Everyones a sucker for the Leaburn boots, Leaburn boots'
    Never heard them sung since.

Shit CPL i remember taht song that day now theres 1 that needs to get sung this season loud and away from home
  • I listen to "normal" Absolute during the day & they've started dual broadcasting as Absolute 90s for the Mon-Thurs evening show (Absolute 80s on Friday evening). I've been getting into the 90s stuff lately. 80s cheese is for Friday night fun.
  • Cant even remember watching anything from that game, just such a laugh on the terrace, side view from memory????

You can poke your Premiership Those WERE the days, quickly followed by the Play off Final era, which I think is why so many die hards enjoyed last season more than what they thought they would.
  • On another note NLA, do you remember going out for the day, your brother was there as well, maybe organised by parents work, some Zoo or something, all I can remember is getting back late and being upset I had missed the Champions league final, only to get picked up and it hadnt even started, due to Heysel tragedy????

Always stuck with me that day for some god known reason.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]On another note NLA, do you remember going out for the day, your brother was there as well, maybe organised by parents work, some Zoo or something, all I can remember is getting back late and being upset I had missed the Champions league final, only to get picked up and it hadnt even started, due to Heysel tragedy????

yeah now that you mention it i do i remember getting back and me and my brother had a black and white Tv and we rushed up stairs to watch it and it was all unfolding on the telly..

i think we went to the old chessington zoo that day bud
  • Never listened to either station, but 90s all the way for me. It went a bit stale in the last couple of years of the decade, but you had Grunge, Brit Pop, Indie, Madchester and the whole rave scene. Knocks Tiffany and Rick Astley into a cocked hat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Birth of House music was about 1988 but it really started to take off in the 90's so I am a Nineties man.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Birth of House music was about 1988 but it really started to take off in the 90's so I am a Nineties man.

ditto
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Birth of House music was about 1988 but it really started to take off in the 90's so I am a Nineties man.

thats what i mean Ketman i love my 90's dance music and absolute 90's dont really play it it is all the other stuff that was on the radio back then

but the prodigy is up next and they had the shamen yesterday move any mountain and i am back to 15 years of age again

what a great station absolute 90's has rocked today if you aint listened and you have a dab then get on it
  • Pulsating to out of space

i am nearly jumping round the room
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]On another note NLA, do you remember going out for the day, your brother was there as well, maybe organised by parents work, some Zoo or something, all I can remember is getting back late and being upset I had missed the Champions league final, only to get picked up and it hadnt even started, due to Heysel tragedy????

Always stuck with me that day for some god known reason.[/quote]

yeah now that you mention it i do i remember getting back and me and my brother had a black and white Tv and we rushed up stairs to watch it and it was all unfolding on the telly..

i think we went to the old chessington zoo that day bud[/quote]

Remember some bugger having dissapearing ink that day, might have been you, I was amazed, they threw it all over the fella in charge as a joke but I think it stained his shirt a bit and they got in trouble. Silly the things you remember.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]On another note NLA, do you remember going out for the day, your brother was there as well, maybe organised by parents work, some Zoo or something, all I can remember is getting back late and being upset I had missed the Champions league final, only to get picked up and it hadnt even started, due to Heysel tragedy????

i think we went to the old chessington zoo that day bud

Remember some bugger having dissapearing ink that day, might have been you, I was amazed, they threw it all over the fella in charge as a joke but I think it stained his shirt a bit and they got in trouble. Silly the things you remember.

wernt me but i proberly got it in the neck for it but i rember his shirt staining and me being in fits
  • Sounds of the 60's for me (Radio 2)
  • i listen to absolute 80s but am a 90s man. 94 and 97 being my favoroute years.
  • carlsberg

have you tried 90's we turned it on last week and turned it off as quick again, we decided to really give it a fair crack and it has been amazing especially today
  • reef on there now

put your hands on

TFI AND CHRIS EVANS tuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee
  • Sponsored links:

• 80s all the way, don't really get into a lot of the 90's dance stuff.
  • 90's. Everything was better in the 90's.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]reef on there now

put your hands on

TFI AND CHRIS EVANS tuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee

It's your letters, It's your letters!! TFI Friday was good times, the edited 6pm version then the late night uncut version to watch while enjoying your kebab - happy days!
  • First of all, some bands spanned both decades (and beyond).
    The 90's were a lot lot more than just dance music. In fact for me personally they were anything but dance music. I personally was into, and saw live, the following:

Manic Street Preachers
    Gene
    Curve
    The Jesus & Mary Chain
    Blur
    REM
    Suede
    Puressence
    Saint Etienne
    INXS
    Swervedriver
    U2
    Kent (supported by Muse!)
    Simple Minds
    Sugar
    Deacon Blue
    The Cure
    Ash
    New Order
    Big Country
    Airhead
    Belly
  • Agreed Jim with all of that it is weird how you forget things but music can remind you,

i was into the dance scene in the 90's regularly going to Rain dance, Spiral tribe,Labrynth (the aces dalston) the list could go on but inbetween those hasy best nights of my life FACT..

all of the bands you have listed i listened to in cars pubs and normal clubs up and down the country and when you add the stone roses, the farm, the charletens, natural life,Guns and Roses the 90's was the best decade.

cheers folks absolute 90's 3 days a week absolute 80's twice i think is the answer
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    i was into the dance scene in the 90's regularly going to Rain dance, Spiral tribe,Labrynth (the aces dalston) the list could go on but inbetween those hasy best nights of my life FACT..

Labryinth was it called the Four Aces? Went there a bit in my time, what am I talking about it is still my time. Ministry of Sound when it truly was the place to be seen unlike now sadly. I have to say House music really was at it's Peak in the late 90's now we have an overload of quantity but a lack of quality compared to then. Some people will never get to see places like Ibiza brimming to the full four months of the year like in 1998/1999, now it is just a weekend getaway for most numbers there will never be the same again.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

Labryinth was it called the Four Aces? Went there a bit in my time, what am I talking about it is still my time. Ministry of Sound when it truly was the place to be seen unlike now sadly. I have to say House music really was at it's Peak in the late 90's now we have an overload of quantity but a lack of quality compared to then. Some people will never get to see places like Ibiza brimming to the full four months of the year like in 1998/1999, now it is just a weekend getaway for most numbers there will never be the same again.

yes mate it was the 4 aces Dalston

MOS was blinding early doors i must admit as was Camden Palace and the Gas Club, milk bar was not to shabby either, i really didnt rate Baggleys dont know why but i didnt go to often.. did you go to club orange at astoria..
  • 80's no question
  • Found absolute 80s a few months ago and its great....doesnt just play anthems that appear on every "Hits of the 80s" compilation.

doesnt ab 90s only play on Fridays after 6pm or have they changed it?

Love loads of 80s stuff but the 90s dance stuff (commercial) has the most sentimental value for me as it reminds me of going out clubbing as a teenager and all the excitement which that entailed. Just wish i knew then what i know about women now back then as being fatter, balding and practically married now means that the knowledge is now wasted!
  • Abs 90,s from 10am every morning

been excellent today

Shamen

Massive attack

prodigy

faithless

been the best radio station i have heard in ages