Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Goalkeeper.......

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
It appears that the new Goalkeeper is going to be Andy Marshall - ex Coventry City, Norwich, Ipswich, et al. He is about 35 and will be number 2 to Rob. He will probably play on Wednesday against Bromley. Not sure if he has played much over last 2 seasons.

Comments

• Where did you get that from mate?
  • edited July 2010
    Would be a lot better than expected to be honest, a good one year freebie and probably better than Warner coming back who is the only candidate I'd previously considered.
  • Didn't he play for millwall in the cup final? For some reason, I believe you.
  • He did, was at Villa last season but didn't play a game, though the fact MON thought he was good enough to be a PL number 3 surely says he's going to be a top standard L1 back-up.
  • He'll be number 1 if its true
  • If nothing else it is atleast believable.

If it comes to something I'd be happy with that.
  • Can't really say who the source is, but it is someone associated with him.
  • According to Sky he was at Colchester but has moved on as they weren't prepared to offer him a long term deal.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6269967,00.html

If he was happy to do a deal with them, then I assume we could well be in the running.
  • Good scoop and good signing if true. More than we could hope for.

Hasn't started a league game since March 08 but that's due to the emergence of young Westwood at Coventry and his no.3 spell at Villa behind Friedel and Guzan rather than any injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• He was very highly rated a few years back. Good signing if true and good experiences mentor for Gough and Elliott
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Good scoop and good signing if true. More than we could hope for.

Hasn't started a league game since March 08 but that's due to the emergence of young Westwood at Coventry and his no.3 spell at Villa behind Friedel and Guzan rather than any injury.

I'm guessing he wouldn't have played much at Villa regardless of his injury situation.....however, the Sky link says his time at Villa was wrecked by an ankle injury.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Good scoop and good signing if true. More than we could hope for.

I'm guessing he wouldn't have played much at Villa regardless of his injury situation.....however, the Sky link says his time at Villa was wrecked by an ankle injury.

good spot, I stand corrected
  • get him in ..... anyone
  • yeah get him in parky
  • would be a good signing. Keep Robbie on his toes and good back-up. However, knowing Parky he'll relegate Rob to the subs bench.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]would be a good signing. Keep Robbie on his toes and good back-up. However, knowing Parky he'll relegate Rob to the subs bench.[/quote]

Wellit took him long enough to put Randy ahead of him last season, so maybe this season he'll make the right decision early
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]would be a good signing. Keep Robbie on his toes and good back-up. However, knowing Parky he'll relegate Rob to the subs bench.

This is a negative now, picking the best players?

I hope Robbie is first choice on his own merit, but I'm not sure it's a great idea to pick a weaker player purely for development's sake.
  • I'd rather have Gough on the bench and spend the wages on a striker. We'll only have Dailly for another season, perhaps two, and a keeper can learn a lot of players like him and Doherty.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]I'd rather have Gough on the bench and spend the wages on a striker. We'll only have Dailly for another season, perhaps two, and a keeper can learn a lot of players like him and Doherty.

Surely Gough will learn more from the training with CD than sitting on the bench?
  • Sponsored links:

• Problem with that is if Elliot got a long term injury we'd only have Gough and the other young keepers. None of them are probably ready for a run of games in the first team.
  • Quite like the Marshall idea. Wages permitting, an experienced older keeper who won't throw a wobbler at spending some time on the bench until injury / form dictate otherwise seems like a sensible route. Robbie can learn more during the week and it leaves us less vulnerable to a sudden injury where we might have to plunge a very raw kid in. Different level and different finances of course, but Curbs was always very careful to have experienced keepers in reserve; even his No.3, and there are often plenty sitting way down the pecking order at the lower Prem clubs.
  • Im wee bit confused much better then i would have hoped, does this mean he will be no1? maybe too good to be a back up and would be a great addition to the squad also im sure would help Elliot but unsure who would be no1 out of the two BP do you know whether he has been told whether he will be fighting for no1 or that he is no2
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]do you know whether he has been told whether he will be fighting for no1 or that he is no2
    Did you read the first post?!
  • wages permitting would be happy with this.

Is it on the OS yet?
  • I expect it from Ooh ah because he has consistently criticised Robbie Elliot from day one but why the sudden downer on him generally?
  • cos he is pony len .... and we saw that when randy came in
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I expect it from Ooh ah because he has consistently criticised Robbie Elliot from day one but why the sudden downer on him generally?

Because we've realised he's always right :-(
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I expect it from Ooh ah because he has consistently criticised Robbie Elliot from day one but why the sudden downer on him generally?

Because we've realised he's always right :-(

except at gambling ;-(
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I expect it from Ooh ah because he has consistently criticised Robbie Elliot from day one but why the sudden downer on him generally?[/quote]

I think Robbie is ok, not the greatest keeper ever not the worst, I would like him to be first choice on merit, not as some seem to feel as some divine rigth because he is a charlton fan. Bringing in an experienced keeper may put pressure on Robbie to achieve those perfromances that dictate him having a 1st team spot