Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Racon / Semedo - corners

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
One thing i've noticed, and i believe tells a bit of a story is that Racon and semedo are the two players who stay back for corners. Tells you something about their attacking ability if you ask me. Normally one or other would be in the box or on the edge of it, the other maybe taking. Of course it allows big central defenders to come up etc but when you have more faith that your huge full back Francis will whip in a decent corner than either of your central midfielders or that their more use defending than anybody else at a corner, then i think you can see some obvious faults in them and the guy who's constructed the squad. Not a dig - we are where we are and i'll be willing us on to a victory but central midfield is our biggest problem in my opinion.

Comments

• And arguably our 2 best players!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]And arguably our 2 best players![/quote]

arguably our two biggest problems - semedo can't play and racon does it only in flashes
  • Semedo "can't play". What does that mean?
  • it means he's purely a stopper - classic moment on Saturday, he was i space, second half with room to move into and pick out a killer pass - he went backwards. Good strong tackler, not enough football ability to play in centre midfield.
  • WSSWSS
    edited September 2010
    That's his job in central midfield though. There is a place in central midfield for that type of player.
  • not in ours there ain't, not when you have Racon or macormack alongside him who can't play either
  • WSSWSS
    edited September 2010
    I don't understand? You wouldnt play Semedo because our other midfielders "can't play"?
  • I didn't say that.I wouldn't want Racon, Semedo or Macormack as my midfield players and i'd probably look to play Semedo alongside Doherty tonight unless we drop Martin in midfield with him. No combination of our 3 recognised central midfielders has enough footballing ability. I didn't create this squad, i just have to watch it and i said after the first three games before the transfer window shut that it was glaringly obvious why we weren't creating chances and couldn't believe that out of the 3 new signings iun the transfer window, one wasn't a playmaker. We have 3 target men, 6 central defenders and not one central midfielder with any ability on the ball. We have to stick Martin in the middle and give that a go but if Ayinshah doesn't play up front it's all a bit pointless anyway as we'll have two target men again. I expect nothing tonight because the squad is cack. Hope i'm wrong.
  • Perhaps Jackson centre midfield and Fry (eventually Youga) at left back is the answer then? Or at least an alternative
  • Totally agree.Semedo and Racon should be the heart beat of the side,and to be fair,for much of the past 3/4 years they have been and look where we find ourselves.If anyone did come in for them during the summer then we should have bitten their arm off.
  • Sponsored links:

• i think semedo was superb last season .... but this season he has reverted to the nothing footballer we have seen in previous years
  • edited September 2010
    About the corner thing. All of our out field players are better in the air generally than Racon and Semedo, Jackson is better so he goes up for corners. Wagstaff and Martin and Reid provide the 2 on 1 situation if we take a quick one, if not they're on the edge of the box for rebounds. This leaves with, either Francis or Jackson in the box with both centre backs and both strikers in the box to win the headers. Thats alright.

Racon and Semedo can play with each other, they did all last season. Semedo sits and Racon can try and play and do what he does best. Racon admitted that he wants to score more goals and push forward more and I think he will this season. Yes I agree he only shows what he can do every now and then but he has it in his locker. Once Youga is back we can move Jackson into midfield and he will give us something different.

Picking up on something else. We dont have 3 target man, we have 2 if that. Abbott is a target man, Anyinsah is small, quick and strong, Benson is meant to be the goal scorer and once he gets one i'm sure he'll get going, his no target man, Sodje is tall but you can't really call him a target man, he has pace once he gets going and he does win headers but nothing like a so called 'target man' would.

I'd rather have 6 central defenders than the 3 we had last year. Doherty, Dailly, Fortune, Llera, Fry, Mambo. - Mambo is on loan and isn't quite ready yet, proved that against Shrewsbury. Fry is more of a cover for Left-back, this then leaves us with 4 central defenders, which is what Parky wanted last season.

MK Dons are a much better side then they were last season. Karl Robinson has got them organised and they have a few good players for this league.
    We have injuries so it is going to be a tough game but we're at home and MK Dons have never really had a great away record. I would expect at least a point tonight but that's because i'm positive and i look at the good side of things, such as in the first half against D&R we created numerous chances that we should have scored and played our best all season. They're learning day by day and we'll get better.

Tonight i'm going for a 2-1 win. Benson to get off the mark for us and it will be quite nervy ending after saturday.
    COYR!
  • i think semedo was superb last season....... for the last 5 games.

We may as well line up with 5 across the back. And people wonder why we don't create?
  • I don't see a problem here. The strikers obviously get in the box, our wingers are usually on the edge, they can either get back quickly or shoot/cross if the ball falls to them and the big centre backs and other full back gets in the box. Francis is big, would rather he got in the box than Racon and Semedo, Jackson possibly more likely to score from a header than those 2 as well.
  • Thank you Scoham, Exactly what I mean.
  • The only time Benson has looked half decent is when he played with his back to goal flicking things on for Anyinsah on Saturday. Maybe i should re phrase it - we only have one pacy striker who can play on the shoulder / run at defenders and none of the other 3 can play together because they have no pace.
  • I didn't say Benson has pace. Anyinsah has pace and Sodje does when he is sprinting. I bet he is faster than you.
    Just stop being so pessimistic and get behind the team, that's what a supporter is for at the end of the day.
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I don't see a problem here. The strikers obviously get in the box, our wingers are usually on the edge, they can either get back quickly or shoot/cross if the ball falls to them and the big centre backs and other full back gets in the box. Francis is big, would rather he got in the box than Racon and Semedo, Jackson possibly more likely to score from a header than those 2 as well.

Also seems strange that our wingers don't take the corners - it's all arse about face - anyway, gotta go to the Valley in a minute. Hope i'm completely wrong and they all surprise me tonight. I remember in the prem days when it seemed impossible we'd ever win a nother game and Curbishley always managed to turn it around and the players looked decent again. Here's hoping i'll look back and put my hands up and say well done parky for persevering but...
  • [cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]I didn't say Benson has pace. Anyinsah has pace and Sodje does when he is sprinting. I bet he is faster than you.
    Just stop being so pessimistic and get behind the team, that's what a supporter is for at the end of the day.

I will be supporting the team vocally in the ground tonight. I will say what i like and believe on this site so if you don't like it - tough.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I don't see a problem here. The strikers obviously get in the box, our wingers are usually on the edge, they can either get back quickly or shoot/cross if the ball falls to them and the big centre backs and other full back gets in the box. Francis is big, would rather he got in the box than Racon and Semedo, Jackson possibly more likely to score from a header than those 2 as well.

Also seems strange that our wingers don't take the corners - it's all arse about face - anyway, gotta go to the Valley in a minute. Hope i'm completely wrong and they all surprise me tonight. I remember in the prem days when it seemed impossible we'd ever win a nother game and Curbishley always managed to turn it around and the players looked decent again. Here's hoping i'll look back and put my hands up and say well done parky for persevering but...
    Again I don't see the problem. The best corner takers on the pitch should take the corners, regardless of the position. Drogba was taking corners for Chelsea on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh, and i know you didn't say Benson had pace and if any of the squad wasn't faster than me then they should be sacked
  • point i'm making is Racon and Semedo aren't considered as attacking forces - not definitive because they sit back at corners, just something i noticed but think it says a lot.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]point i'm making is Racon and Semedo aren't considered as attacking forces - not definitive because they sit back at corners, just something i noticed but think it says a lot.
    Semedo's not meant to be so I don't see the problem there. We've often left defensive midfielders back on corners.

Racon I agree he's not an attacking force, always said he's not the playmaker some suggest he is. Skillful, good touch and all that, but rarely sets up or scores a goal (unless he's playing Dagenham it seems).
  • Racon doesn't stay back, he waits on their near post, and then just before it is taken does a stupid twirl and run into the middle attempting (I Guess) to bring players with him. Never works!
  • They must have both read this forum as both had good games tonight. Credit where due.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]They must have both read this forum as both had good games tonight. Credit where due.

Agreed and pretty sure both were in the box for a couple of corners, certainly in the 2nd half when Fortune stayed back.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]They must have both read this forum as both had good games tonight. Credit where due.

Good games for their ability level =- anyway, enough of my negativity but central midfield and the lack of footballing ability is our biggest problem. I'll leave it there. Tuesday night was like pulling teeth but defense looked more solid.
  • I cant understand the slagging of Semedo on here. Without Semedo we would be far worse! Most Midfields have a holding player nowdays, the evolution of football has determined this to need to be the case. There arent many all round, box to box, midfielders anymore. Especially at this level. You get the sluggers, and the attacking midfielders.

Alot of Semedo's work goes unnoticed because it isnt pretty football
  • [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]I cant understand the slagging of Semedo on here. Without Semedo we would be far worse! Most Midfields have a holding player nowdays, the evolution of football has determined this to need to be the case. There arent many all round, box to box, midfielders anymore. Especially at this level. You get the sluggers, and the attacking midfielders.

I think Racon is more of the problem than Semedo. Semedo got forward much better than normal on Tuesday night. Racon needs to come and collect the ball from our centre backs and offer an option to Semedo when he doesn't know what to do. His tackling is improving, but his off the ball skills need more work. I might be expecting too much. Bailey was a good League 1 midfielder but had his weaknesses as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]I cant understand the slagging of Semedo on here. Without Semedo we would be far worse! Most Midfields have a holding player nowdays, the evolution of football has determined this to need to be the case. There arent many all round, box to box, midfielders anymore. Especially at this level. You get the sluggers, and the attacking midfielders.

I think Racon is more of the problem than Semedo. Semedo got forward much better than normal on Tuesday night. Racon needs to come and collect the ball from our centre backs and offer an option to Semedo when he doesn't know what to do. His tackling is improving, but his off the ball skills need more work. I might be expecting too much. Bailey was a good League 1 midfielder but had his weaknesses as well.

You have to evaluate who is actually better to accompany Semedo though out of Racon, McCormack and Jackson. McCormack seems like a straight swap for Semedo, a defensive midfielder. That leaves Racon and Jackson for who plays in that creator role. Some may say Racon, some will say Jackson. Racon i think definately has the ability, he is just too inconsistent.

With Injuries, Suspensions and drops in form i doubt we will see a consistent midfield 2 anyway. I imagine we will play Semedo when possible and the partner will rotate between the others