Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oggy Red - where are you?

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Anyone know where Oggy's gotten to?

Hope to see you back soon oggy we need some positivity back on Charlton life me and Mascott are seriously lagging!

Comments

• Agreed, though no doubt just because he has the temerity to try and not look at the worst case every time his posts would be deemed unbelievable by a so called expert.

He is working abroad at the moment
  • Times are tough but at least we didnt lose.... and it sounded like we were very close to going behind just before we scored...
  • I thought this yesterday but when i checked his last post he said he was off to France for 3 weeks.
  • I heard he's forming a Franco-Cornish Consortium with an eye to taking over CAFC.
  • This Addick has landed. I'm back.

Yep, I've been away working for 3 weeks in that chaotic jumble of humanity that masquerades as the city of Marseille, soon to be designated European City of Culture or whatever, in 2013. Managed to get attacked twice, so I'm grateful that I live to tell the tale.

Today logging on to Charlton Life has been pretty depressing reading. I know performances and results have been all over the shop recently ....... but being on the outside looking in, has surprised me with the sheer amount of knee-jerk comment and lack of perspective. Just the impression I've got by reading, you understand.

Anyway, I'm back in the fold again and need to put on my rose-tinted glasses, if I can find them.
    Plymouth Argyle away next week ......so look forward to catching up with some of the suicide squad!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]This Addick has landed. I'm back.

Yep, I've been away working for 3 weeks in that chaotic jumble of humanity that masquerades as the city of Marseille, soon to be designated European City of Culture or whatever, in 2013. Managed to get attacked twice, so I'm grateful that I live to tell the tale.

Today logging on to Charlton Life has been pretty depressing reading. I know performances and results have been all over the shop recently ....... but being on the outside looking in, has surprised me with the sheer amount of knee-jerk comment and lack of perspective. Just the impression I've got by reading, you understand.

Anyway, I'm back in the fold again and need to put on my rose-tinted glasses, if I can find them.
    Plymouth Argyle away next week ......so look forward to catching up with some of the suicide squad!

Thought there had been a lack of humour round here recently........
    ;-)
  • You've been in the south of France?

Nice.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]You've been in the south of France?

Nice.

No not Nice, just Marseille.

Nice would have been Nice.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]You've been in the south of France?

Nice.

No not Nice, just Marseille.

Nice would have been Nice.

The old ones are the best ;-)
  • Oggy's not that old........
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Oggy's not that old........

To a mere slip of a lad like me he is ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Oggy's not that old........

To a mere slip of a lad like me he is ;-)

hmmmph ......!

Watch it old fella, you're catching me up fast.
  • Yay! The glorious leader of the Rose-tinted Brigade has returned!
  • We are back up and running. I'm pleased we will have your perspective again!
  • Sorry to hear about your attack.
  • By who and why did you get attacked Oggy?
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Sorry to hear about your attack.

Thanks, mate. The second attack was worse. He got me from behind with an arm round the neck and threw me to the ground trying to get my bag from me. Luckily a couple of colleagues saw what was happening and came to the rescue - and the mugger ran away.

Other people later told me that I was lucky he didn't use a knife .....so I'll count my blessings.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]By who and why did you get attacked Oggy?

Hi Curb_It, just an opportunist mugger the second time I was attacked, on my own. Perhaps he'd heard me speaking English to colleagues, and thought I was a wealthy tourist?

The first attack was when 4 youths came swarming through our group waiting at the bus stop, trying to get between and separate us, grabbing our bags. Even though we were all a bit shaken up by it, nobody was hurt.

Both attacks happened in broad daylight.
  • do you usually get attacked when you go away?
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]do you usually get attacked when you go away?

lol nice

blimey to be attacked twice must be unlucky although i have never been to marseille you should have warned them of the charlton hardcore ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• god sounds very grim Oggy. Bet you dont fancy rushing back there in a hurry!
  • you should always carry a hard stale pasty to use in self defence when going abroad oggy
  • Sounds horrible, I'm glad you're fine. You've put me right off ever going to Marseille, although I've heard Nice is nice!
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]you should always carry a hard stale pasty to use in self defence when going abroad oggy

Une bonne idee!

Now why didn't I think of that? lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]god sounds very grim Oggy. Bet you dont fancy rushing back there in a hurry!

Marseille's a strange mental city, B - but we met some really friendly warm-hearted people too.

Would I go back? Yeah, probably.
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Sounds horrible, I'm glad you're fine. You've put me right off ever going to Marseille, although I've heard Nice is nice!

Cheers, Friend.

Marseille's generally okay, certain areas can be dodgy after dark. If you go on holiday there, just stick to certain 'safe' areas and you should be okay. Just keep your wits about you, as you would in Woolwich or Burnley, or wherever.

Marseille's certainly worth a visit, but the place is a bit like Napoli in Italy.
    Scheduled to be European City of Culture in 2013, like Liverpool and Glasgow were a while back.

Nice takes the biscuit.
    Of course.
  • Sorry to hear of your bad experiences in the city, Oggy.

My wife (who is French) has cousins in Marseilles. We've been to stay with them a dozen times and find it a lovely city and have never had any problems. But then we probably haven't gone wondering into les banlieues, which , as you say, probably are pretty ''dodgy after dark''.

But I guess it could just as easily happen in SE7, eh?

Good to have you back in one piece...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]By who and why did you get attacked Oggy?[/quote]

Hi Curb_It, just an opportunist mugger the second time I was attacked, on my own. Perhaps he'd heard me speaking English to colleagues, and thought I was a wealthy tourist?

The first attack was when 4 youths came swarming through our group waiting at the bus stop, trying to get between and separate us, grabbing our bags. Even though we were all a bit shaken up by it, nobody was hurt.

Both attacks happened in broad daylight.[/quote]

The same thing happened to me in Paris. They swooped through the group trying to separate them and then pulled carrier bags out of hands. They got away with about ten cans of pretty cheap nasty beer(which no-one bothered to fight for) but things almost got very nasty when they refused to release the youngest females of the group. They then found that our reaction to this was much fiercer than the beer and ran away.
  • Cheers, Incorruptible one.

'Les banlieues' in Marseille seem to have a mainly Maghreb population; and there are some where average Marseillais would never venture, not even in daylight.

My logement was in the 2nd Arrondissemont close to the church of Notre Dame du Mont and Cours Julian, which was quite a mixed ethnic neighbourhood living in 100 year old traditional buildings, often quite run down. But only on one occasion did I feel unsafe in that district during my 3 week placement (which eventually passed without incident).

Marseille is an ancient port with many historical buildings, ideal to explore. Lots of culture too, which I would have liked to have seen more of if I hadn't been working. I may get the chance to go back again for a few weeks perhaps in a few months time, so hopefully I can use my experiences both good and bad to good effect next time.

Anyway, many thanks for all your kind comments folks.
  • Nice to have you back & in one piece Oggy x. I've only just got back too.