Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bovril Antics

edited November 2010 in Not Sports Related
I'm sure that 90% of Bovril sales must come from football grounds during a three-month period of the year. Can't really see anyone making themselves a bovril at home, yet at The Valley on Saturday the half time queue for a Bovril rivalled the 02 phone shops on Iphone upgrade day.

Two blokes in front of me both emptied pepper saches into their bovrils. Soups i could understand, but bovrils ? Also heard stuff about people having it with milk rather than water ?

Anyone else here a fan of the meat extract drink ?
Do you drink it anywhere other than at a football ground on a cold, winter's day ?
Do you add anything to it ?

Comments

• Love the stuff but never drunk at football

pinch of white pepper is nice
  • Haven't Man C got a pre-contract agreement in place to sign him in January from Red Star Belgrade.
  • ...and you wonder why we get called spotters....!
  • problem with bovril is that you get one at half-time, its temperature is hotter than the sun, so it takes till about the 80th minute before you can even attempt to drink it, but thats pointless cos you've already jumped about celebrating or giving the oppo some stick, spilt it and given the bloke infront 3rd degree burns.

silly drink.
  • JTJT
    edited November 2010
    Saw people throwing the saches last week too.
  • Tavern is often spotted drinking a mug at home.
  • Can still remember my first ever cup of Bovril at Plumstead swimming baths in the early fifties and now have it in my 'Charles Bucham' flask at half time with a drop of scotch in it. Great stuff.
  • Love Bovril, I drink it at football and it's the only hot drink I'll have at home as I'm not really a fan of tea or coffee.
  • I've never actually had it
  • pepper is a must with bovril.
    aswell as drinking it at footie, in true anorak style i've started taking a small flask of it to golf in cold weather. ribbed about it on the 1st tee, but come the tenth no-one turns it down.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]problem with bovril is that you get one at half-time, its temperature is hotter than the sun, so it takes till about the 80th minute before you can even attempt to drink it, but thats pointless cos you've already jumped about celebrating or giving the oppo some stick, spilt it and given the bloke infront 3rd degree burns.

silly drink.

As if your a bovril drinker with that amount of movement!

Can't stand the stuff.
  • Love the stuff and it helped me through every single ball of the first Ashes test.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]every single ball of the first Ashes test.[/quote]

You didn't miss a single delivery? Great form, but what are you, nocturnal?
  • my boss and hes son take to flasks of bovril to the valley for every home game....shockin!!!
  • Always drink it at mid week games at Bromley. mmmm
  • [cite]Posted By: LSEBarnes[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]every single ball of the first Ashes test.

You didn't miss a single delivery? Great form, but what are you, nocturnal?

Lol, yeah i watched the lot. Slept a few hours the first four days but been up since 1pm yesterday and not been to bed yet. Must admit I'm a little tired but worth it to see the Aussies get whacked for a couple of days and look forward to doing it all again from Thursday night. Another highlight was seeing a Charlton shirt in the middle of the Barmy Army last night!
  • Hmm. That sounds like Bolivian Bovril. ;-)
  • Bovril spread on toast, like Marmite. Love it.
  • Never drank Bovril before last Tuesday when I went to the game with a friend. We had one before the game and one at half time.

Since then I've bought (well Mrs KHA has) one from the supermarket and vie had one at home - it's not quite a nice when you are at home in the warm though.
  • It appeared in Army Rat Packs for a while. great on a winters night with a dash of Tabasco.

First encountered the brew at Ladywell baths, (though we werent popular with our deep end plastic bag 'embarassing accident' release japery)
    Enduring aroma addictive taste
  • Sponsored links:

• Love it

Drunk it at football, drink it indoors with a bit of pepper

I have a good story about two blokes daring each other the other can't get his balls into a Bovril jar.

One of them did, then 3 days later after walking around with a big glass jar of beef extract on his scrotum swallowed his pride and went to casualty to have his plums liberated
  • The taste is alright, but I've always found it impossible to drink. For 15 minutes it is agonisingly tongue-burningly hot and then in an instant, stone cold.
  • Love it at football, tried making it at home and it tasted horrendous. Maybe I made it wrong, but works a treat at football - need to get it drunk quickly before any goals though, worth it for the burnt tongue
  • ...on toast - lovely

not so good with hot water - prefer tea, or if at the Valley, hot chocolate.
  • My Dad drinks it at games - but he is 64 .... it's for old people
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]My Dad drinks it at games - but he is 64 .... it's for old people
    I'm 37. Been drinking it since I was ten. Is it bollocks an old people's drink!
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: supaclive[/cite] Is it bollocks!

Not sure. It certainly does not declare what part of the animal it is extracted from on the label.
  • Love it, pepper just adds to the taste if it's on hand. Love dipping toast soldiers in it, lots of butter.
  • Chicken Bovril is much nicer than the beef version, but they don't sell at any football grounds.
  • always drink it at the valley , have to put 6 peppers and 1 salt with it ,