Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

charlie adam hands in transfer request.............

which has been rejected by Blackpool.

similar to the Scotty Parker Saga - we held out for £10 m (or so)

will Blackpool be so brave ? I can see then caving in and accepting something between £6 m and £8 m before next monday evening.

Comments

• What a grade A Tosser
  • If he leaves, it will mess up his career....

He is better off staying with Blackpool until the end of the season, and then see what happens
  • Classic case of the agent striking whilst the irons hot to make the most money.
  • I'm sure i read that Blackpool had a self-imposed club wage cap of 10k a week. No doubt Adam has been offered 3 or 4 times that to go elsewhere, so it's hardly surprising.
  • Never understand how a compromise can't be found in these situations.

He's a decent player and clearly in demand of bigger clubs than Blackpool. In every other profession you can be headhunted, so its hard to make a completely different set of rules for football.

What it needs in this case is Blackpool to say 'look, you're our star player, we need you to the rest of the season. We will double / treble your money from now to the end of the season, and then if you still wish to move we won't stand in your way. Until then we just need you focussed on giving everything you've got for us to the end of the season'.
  • This just confirms my view that the January transfer window should be for loan players or free agents only. This kind of situation can destroy a season for a club.
  • Because Blackpool have a strict wage cap in place. If they break it for him then the others want a slice. Unfortunate.
  • man this is such bad news....

christ Blackpool will unravel and could easily get relegated ...

Let him rot I say..
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Never understand how a compromise can't be found in these situations.

He's a decent player and clearly in demand of bigger clubs than Blackpool. In every other profession you can be headhunted, so its hard to make a completely different set of rules for football.

What it needs in this case is Blackpool to say 'look, you're our star player, we need you to the rest of the season. We will double / treble your money from now to the end of the season, and then if you still wish to move we won't stand in your way. Until then we just need you focussed on giving everything you've got for us to the end of the season'.

[cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Because Blackpool have a strict wage cap in place. If they break it for him then the others want a slice. Unfortunate.

I agree with both of these points
  • [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]If he leaves, it will mess up his career....

He is better off staying with Blackpool until the end of the season, and then see what happens

Depends how you are looking at it. His stock is high at the moment and Blackpool are low payers for the Prem. If he has a bad second half to the season or gets a cruciate then he could miss out on the kind of deal that could set him up for the rest of his life.

From a purely football perspective, I agree he should stay put and cement his reputation but he's presumably got a family to think about and these things are never black and white. I'm not sure Blackpool should really stand in the way of that but likewise Adam needs to respect their right to negotiate a good deal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great interview on Sky with Ian Holloway............he ain't happy !!! Didn't want to answer the questions & obviously v,peeved that its known that Adam has put in as request.

what makes me laugh is that Holloway is telling Liverpool that their £4m bid is too low & he is worth much more and if it were him then he would pay the going rate..............but he only paid £500,000 to Rangers 18 months ago !!!!!!

great TV.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Never understand how a compromise can't be found in these situations.

In defence of Adam here though, Liverpool are one of the interested clubs. He might view it as if i don't go to them now, they might look at other targets in the summer.
    Also say he gets injured late on this season, putting an end to any transfer deal?
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]If he leaves, it will mess up his career....

Depends how you are looking at it. His stock is high at the moment and Blackpool are low payers for the Prem. If he has a bad second half to the season or gets a cruciate then he could miss out on the kind of deal that could set him up for the rest of his life.

From a purely football perspective, I agree he should stay put and cement his reputation but he's presumably got a family to think about and these things are never black and white. I'm not sure Blackpool should really stand in the way of that but likewise Adam needs to respect their right to negotiate a good deal.

Thats very true mate...but if a new liverpool manager comes in the summer, he might not want adam and then he wont be playing football and he will have to drop in wages to get games...
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Great interview on Sky with Ian Holloway............he ain't happy !!! Didn't want to answer the questions & obviously v,peeved that its known that Adam has put in as request.

Is he ever happy?

Fergie hit the nail on the head with him the other day when asked about Holloway. Basically said that any transfer fee Holloway has to pay is deemed as 'too expensive', 'bleeding us dry', 'way over the top' etc etc but when it's his player being targeted the fee's mentioned are 'a disgrace', 'an insult' etc etc
  • I'm bored of Holloway interviews now. Too many contradictions, too much bluster. Good manager though.

No surprises that Adam is looking for a move to a better-paying club. It was the gamble they knew they were taking when they imposed a wage cap (and took the vast majority of the TV money for themselves - the club/owners). And if Blackpool do get in the region of £6-8m it'll be a big step up from the £500k they paid for him.
  • Would be interesting to see how the odds change for Blackpool to be relegated now. They are only a few points above the bottom 3 and have some very tricky games coming up.

Can't blame him for wanting to go but imho he should stay till the end of the season, that way he will probably keep Blackpool up, maintain his good relations with the fans/management there and come May he can leave with his head held high to a big club and Blackpool will get a nice pay day. If Parker had stayed we would have got into Europe.

This reminds me of when Coyle left Burnley last season, I know he is a manager but you just knew Burnley were in major trouble when he left and Blackpool fans must have that same sinking feeling.
  • He paid 50k for Charlie Adam I think not 500k.

He will go they won't get anything above 6 mill

And he will leave with only a day or so left in the window
  • Let him rot, just like Parker should have.
  • To all the moralists pontificating about how he should do this or that: if you personally had the chance to treble your wage would you be interested? Now imagine you'd had to take legal action against your current employer to get a bonus that they'd offered you, but then not paid.

He won the case in the end, but given that he was a big part in getting Blackpool earning more than they had ever done in their history, the fact that he had done must have dented his loyalty for the club - although that's certainly not been reflected in what I've seen of his on-field performance.

He could just see out his contract and line his own pocket, but he's asked for a transfer. If they want to hold onto him for 18 months then that's fair enough, but whatever I think it's wrong to sneer at his actions.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]what makes me laugh is that Holloway is telling Liverpool that their £4m bid is too low & he is worth much more and if it were him then he would pay the going rate..............but he only paid £500,000 to Rangers 18 months ago !!!!!!
    Holloway didn't sign him though. He is full of nonsense though. Apparently happy to offer little Plymouth a derisory amount when trying to get Bradley Wright Phillips, but not so happy when the big boys do it to him. I suppose we're all a bit like that, but Holloway shouts about it in that accent.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m pretty sure it was £500k for Adam, he never really did it at Rangers (and was quite often criminally unfit). I think part of Blackpool’s reason for holding out for more is that Rangers had a decent sell on clause as part of the deal. He’s a good player, who’s done well this season, but I think the talk of £10m (Holloway seemed to suggest that Adam was worth £14m on the radio on Saturday) is mad.

Oh, and for all his complaining, is this the same Ian Holloway that offered Plymouth £10k or something ridiculous for Bradley Wright-Phillips. Maybe he could get off his high horse for long enough to see what a hypocrite he is. What a mug.
  • [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]Thats very true mate...but if a new liverpool manager comes in the summer, he might not want adam and then he wont be playing football and he will have to drop in wages to get games...

He'll have got his pay-day though and he'll know how a move to Liverpool could have worked out, rather than being left wondering for the rest of his career.

I was quite angry when Parker did this to us but my position has softened. Adam is in a nice position here, but it's a tough decision for him and you can't blame him for wanting to be allowed the chance to earn that money and play for a club like Liverpool.
  • was 500k, its on football manager :)

But in other professions, especially business, if you turn out to be crap at your job you get sacked or the contract terminated. That doesn't happen in football so the rules are already different. Everything's on the side of the player these days, they're in a win win situation when they have a contract which appears to be enforceable by the player more than it is the club.
  • I don't know of any (large) organisation that doesn't house a fair number of incompetents. I also don't know of any other career where the majority of any given year's graduate intake are "sacked" within two years or where you're unlikely to be able to work at 35. There's all this talksport style bile about it all being balanced in favour of players, but I think they are thinking of top premiership players. Which is understandable because that's all they chat about.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Great interview on Sky with Ian Holloway............he ain't happy !!! Didn't want to answer the questions & obviously v,peeved that its known that Adam has put in as request.

what makes me laugh is that Holloway is telling Liverpool that their £4m bid is too low & he is worth much more and if it were him then he would pay the going rate..............but he only paid £500,000 to Rangers 18 months ago !!!!!!

great TV.

He also said " i think Liverpool paid something like 3.5 million for Jonjo Shelvey so they and he is just a kid they need to put a 1 infront of what they have already offered (4 at the time) for Charlie. This will be a test of his managerial skills, its ok when everything is going well but when you upset the apple cart the manager needs to sort it.
  • I think Holloway has backed himself in a corner by quoting what he would accept,presumably if his director wants to make some money and it does not have a one in front of a further six figures he will do the honourable thing and resign.
  • AFKAs suggestion is a good one, if a compromise can be reached then well and good.

I just think that these things are inevitable. Clubs sign players to contacts so that they can have a sale value so that they can negotiate in the event of an offer.

In the end Blackpool can hold out if they want. The fact that Adam has put in a transfer request doesn't make any real difference other than it puts more pressure on the selling club.

Rather like Darren Bent, the club finances and the scale of the offer will dictate what happens. £24 M (including add ons) was an offer than no club bar the top four could refuse. Sunderland could have refused it but they knew it was too good a deal to ignore.

In the case of Adam, I don't know what his value is. To Blackpool, given the cost of relegation, it may well be something around £10M mark. They have to weigh up the risks and make a decision. Twas ever thus.

I don't begrudge Adam wanting to go for more money to a more fashionable club. He needs to weigh up the risks of going from hero to zero by this move.

Parker went to the only club in the top half of the table that he shouldn't have and ended up with his a*se gathering splinters week in week out. If he had stayed at the Valley for a least the rest of that season, he would, I have no doubt, have played for England far more than he has, his career would have been the better for that and he could still have got a dream move to a Champions League level club.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]AFKAs suggestion is a good one, if a compromise can be reached then well and good.

I just think that these things are inevitable. Clubs sign players to contacts so that they can have a sale value so that they can negotiate in the event of an offer.

In the end Blackpool can hold out if they want. The fact that Adam has put in a transfer request doesn't make any real difference other than it puts more pressure on the selling club.

Rather like Darren Bent, the club finances and the scale of the offer will dictate what happens. £24 M (including add ons) was an offer than no club bar the top four could refuse. Sunderland could have refused it but they knew it was too good a deal to ignore.

In the case of Adam, I don't know what his value is. To Blackpool, given the cost of relegation, it may well be something around £10M mark. They have to weigh up the risks and make a decision. Twas ever thus.

I don't begrudge Adam wanting to go for more money to a more fashionable club. He needs to weigh up the risks of going from hero to zero by this move.

Parker went to the only club in the top half of the table that he shouldn't have and ended up with his a*se gathering splinters week in week out. If he had stayed at the Valley for a least the rest of that season, he would, I have no doubt, have played for England far more than he has, his career would have been the better for that and he could still have got a dream move to a Champions League level club.

Agree with all this especially Parker..Just how good could he have been if he hadn't spent the best years of his life as a reserve. He is such a good player that was a massive waste. but hey they could afford it
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Agree with all this especially Parker..Just how good could he have been if he hadn't spent the best years of his life as a reserve. He is such a good player that was a massive waste. but hey they could afford it

Despite that big career mistake, I cannot understand why he isn't inked onto the England team sheet every game. My best mate is West Ham fan and he tells me, week in week out he plays out of his skin. Its a great shame and now at 30 possibly his chance has gone.