Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Floyd Road mural

Must've walked past this literally hundreds of times but never really looked at it til I came across it on the internet.

Anyone know what it is and why it's there?

Floyd-Road-Mural_1846641i.jpg

Comments

• Its looking a bit shabby nowadays. Seem to remember it was a greenwich community all working together sort of thing but could be wrong.

Shame we can't get a few artistic Addicks to design a new mural based on our history but it would cost money and need organising, talking to the locals and the council.

On a wider point I really love wall end murals especially the ones from Ulster. Have a excellent book of them called 'Drawing Support'
  • Me too. My brother and his mate did the one in Amersham Arms beer garden in new cross a while back but dont seem to be many around nowdays.

Should really give our one above a spruce up.
  • It symbolises a chip shop that only opens 23 or so times a year !
  • Ask them how much it would cost to tidy up the current one and to do a new one.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ask them how much it would cost to tidy up the current one and to do a new one.

Couldn't we ask the ball boys to do it?
    ;o)
  • Or Alan McCormack? Seems he has nothing much to do these days.

;o)
  • My mate does a lot of street art commissions
    Link
    Doubt anyone would want to pay him to do one there, pretty cool stuff though
  • Im surprised its still there to be honest and not painted over by yobs etc or even worse the locals just like the one in Woolwich opposite the swimming pool!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ask them how much it would cost to tidy up the current one and to do a new one.

Couldn't we ask the ball boys to do it?
    ;o)

Brilliant idea!
  • Sponsored links:

• Www.sceneatheme.com

Scene a Theme could paint one very well...
  • Simon Jordan had a nice one in his house I seem to remember
  • [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]Simon Jordan had a nice one in his house I seem to remember

Asked on here before, but can someone post a link to that awful mural as I cant find it on the internet anywhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]My mate does a lot of street art commissions
    Link
    Those are great. My favourite is the one on the shack (Jamaica?).
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]My mate does a lot of street art commissions
    Link
    Those are great. My favourite is the one on the shack (Jamaica?).
    Yeah very talented guy, has done work for Adidas and won loads of different awards for his work. Customised some drum sticks for me as well
  • Isn't there a more recent addition of a large penis on the current mural. Seem to recall it making me chuckle a few times.
  • Perhaps we could have a mural done on the North stand wall coz that looks a bit bland with just the large crest on it!

What or who would you have in the picture?

Definately Rachel in that white dress :)
  • [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]Simon Jordan had a nice one in his house I seem to remember

What were you doing round there?
  • Judging from this picture, the mural is on the side of what was once Sam Bartram's shop. I can't think of a better community project for the club than to get a tribute to the great man writ large upon the wall there. Perhaps done by local kids under the tutelage of a professional artist. Of course, that would be dependant on the owners wanting it.

bartramshop.jpg
  • For some reason that picture reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Lets go to work Mr Red and so on
  • Sponsored links:

• They're off to the Lib to see who's won the gnome
  • Wasnt the world nice in black and white
  • "Benny Fenton leads mass walk out of Charlton players after Jimmy Trotter bans use of Twitter"
  • Off over the road with Sam's Makro card
  • Isn't the fella at the back on the right Dailly?
  • Yes bet there was no dog poo on the floor or chicken shop cartoons then.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes, definitely looking a bit shabby now - surely an artist amongst us could design something - encompasing maybe the play off final and FA cup final win or maybe Chrissy Powell doing his tunnnel leap - and a few of us who can handle a paint brush could volunteer to colour it in.
  • Plaayer - I've just spluttered red wine over my iPad - very good.
  • Hello! I saw this photo (well I took it) and thought I'd tell you a bit more about your mural. It was painted in 1976 so is nearly 35 years old. The creator are the Greenwich Mural Workshop (http://www.greenwichmuralworkshop.com/) who are still going strong - perhaps you can get them to repair the mural and paint a new one continuing the tradition of recording local history on the walls!

I run this project - the London Mural preservation Society - and have just written up Floyd Road. We collect local memories of murals so if you have a story about that one or any of the others let us know. And let us know if you get any new murals painted!

http://londonmuralpreservationsociety.com/murals/floyd-road/
  • Nice one Ruthl, thanks for sharing. I was born in 76!