Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do you pronounce the names of foreign teams?

Just wondered what everyone's personal rules are?

Danny Baker used to be adamant that all foreign teams are pronounced in English .... so 'Ajax' ... not 'Ai-ax' ... 'Paris Saint Germane' ... not 'Parh-ee Saahn Jairman'.

How about you?

Is Bordeaux pronounced 'Bor-dukes' or 'Bohr-derh'?

Is Sporting Gijon pronounced 'Sporting Gee-John' or 'Sporting Hi-hon'?

Is Lech Poznan pronounced 'Letch Poznan' or 'Lheck Pos-nanyeh'?'

Comments

• I was going to say the english version, but as I started to type I realised that I use some of the foreign -
  • Depends on the language.

So the literal answer to the question is "both."
  • edited April 2011
    Just go the opposite to what the BBC say, the department that have renamed the capital of Bahrain MAN-NA-MA opposed to MANA-MA as it is. Ryhmes with Panama not PAN-NA-MA!
  • How do I pronounce foreign team names? Badly!

Where did Paulo go when he left us - never could get that one right.
  • No rules to this. However I feel like is the answer, so I probably please no-one.

Used to say Ajax but have since come around to Eye Axe

Paris (it must always have the s) San Jer Man

Bored Oh

Sporting Gee-John

Leck Poznan

And for the record it should always be New Camp, never never never Camp Nou!
  • I never know how to pronounce Bessone - the announcer says Bess-own but should it be Bess-oney?
  • Bess - on
  • Looks like an Italian name so I'd have thought, Bess - o - nay
  • I think he is Spanish!
  • With a terrible foreign accent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rasson (with the merest hint of 'n') not Rackon
  • [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]I think he is Spanish!

He's from Argentina, where they speak Spanish, but there is no double ess in Spanish so it's probably an Italian surname (as is Messi).
  • I pronouce Ajax as Rochdale, Boca Juniors as Sideboard and Bayern Munich as Bayern Munich.
  • Has to be Besson-eh.

Strictly it's 'Yera' too (not L-era'), but that feels like a step too far.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I pronouce Ajax as Rochdale, Boca Juniors as Sideboard and Bayern Munich as Bayern Munich.

So what happens when Ajax play Rochdale? Could happen in the Champions League in a few years time.
  • edited April 2011
    If we're doing foreign names as well-

Da-vid Viyy-a not Dayvid Viller
    Rrr..aooooool not Raul (as in Paul)
  • Joe Zay or Hose Ay?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Joe Zay or Hose Ay?

Spainish Hose Ay, Portugese Joe Zay.
  • Speaking as someone who loves foreign languages and hopes to study 2 of them at uni (German and Spanish) I always feel you should pronounce foreign names/teams as closely to the natives as possible, out of respect for their language if nothing else.

The pronunciation that bugs me the most is QPR's Alejandro Faurlin - his surname should be pronounced fower-lean but everyone seems to say Forlan, as in Diego.

I'm not sure about Bessone, it most probably is an Italian name but the Italians would say the e on the end as well as the Spanish so it may well be Besson-eh.
  • Jew-vent-os?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: EpsomAddick[/cite]Speaking as someone who loves foreign languages and hopes to study 2 of them at uni (German and Spanish) I always feel you should pronounce foreign names/teams as closely to the natives as possible, out of respect for their language if nothing else.

Now you fall neatly into my trap ....

So do you say 'Nyer'cassel' in a mock-Geordie accent?

Or 'Ah-rrreksaam' in pseudo-Welsh?
  • Languages and accents are different things Dave ;)

Perhaps if I were in Newcastle or Wrexham I would adopt the accent to blend in (or to mock them)
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Jew-vent-os?
    Chee-ting Sc-um
  • [cite]Posted By: EpsomAddick[/cite]Languages and accents are different things Dave ;)

Perhaps if I were in Newcastle or Wrexham I would adopt the accent to blend in (or to mock them)

Is Welsh an accent then?

And I thought that Geordie was variant on Norwegian/Swedish etc.

Ah divvent knaa.
  • What about just getting names of teams right? Sporting Club Portugal, not Sporting Lisbon; Internazionale not Inter Milan and either Bayern Munchen or Barvaria Munich, mixing the two languages is just daft. Which is why I am as guilty as anyone...
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]What about just getting names of teams right? Sporting Club Portugal, not Sporting Lisbon; Internazionale not Inter Milan and either Bayern Munchen or Barvaria Munich, mixing the two languages is just daft. Which is why I am as guilty as anyone...

My favourite is 'Real'.

I lived in Madrid for six months. The team is 'Madrid'. Whenever I hear the 'new footballistas' on Sky talking about 'Real', I can't help hearing some broad Brummie referring to his beloved team as 'Aston' or some stripey Nigel singing "Come on, Crystal".
  • WSSWSS
    edited April 2011
    Which team is Madrid? Athletico or Real?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Which team is Madrid? Athletico or Real?

Three teams in Madrid. You forgot Rayo Vallecano.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Which team is Madrid? Athletico or Real?

and Heh-taff-eh
  • [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Which team is Madrid? Athletico or Real?

and Heh-taff-eh

Not sure about that. I thought Getafe was a separate town.

It's outside the M-40, so I'm not sure that counts as Madrid.