Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gareth Bale player of the year?

I know the players vote for the PFA player of the year, but out of all the nominees (although hes very good and made a rapid recovery in hes career) id probably have him 5th or 6th and cant understand that much how he got the award.

Probably being a bit biased towards Parker but from last febuary to this one he would be my no1 choice followed by Nani and Tevez.

Does anyone think he should have won? Dont think he would have if he didnt score those goals against Milan.

Comments

• Parker is something else,i think he could captain England one day
  • edited April 2011
    I cant believe modric wasnt even shortlisted...

I think bale is a gd player but he hasnt been great since the inter milan tie
  • Michael Owen was moaning earlier saying they had to vote too early in the season. Voted half way through the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]I cant believe modric wasnt even shortlisted...

I think bale is a gd player but he hasnt been great since the inter milan tie

He wasn't even great before. He's good yes but that game was the only one he's been truly exceptional in. Modric, Dawson, Van der Vaart (arguably, injury prone as he is) all better spurs players over the season in my opinion.
  • Tevez all day long
  • Charlie Adam has arguably had a better season than Bale so it probably is true that they had to vote too early.
  • edited April 2011
    Does the PFA player of the year award just take into account this season or is it the entire of 2010?

When Parker got young player of the year he'd just signed for Chelsea and barely played a game for them in the second half of the season. All depends on whether the second half of the previous season is taken into account, in which case Bale winning makes more sense.
  • I would imagine that it takes a lot of effort by each club's PFA rep to get the players to vote at all, let alone get their reply slips in on time, I expect that they have a February deadline because they know it will take until April for the last of the votes to filter through...
  • I wondered when this was going to come up.

Agree entirely. I wouldnt have thought Bale will win the Club Player of the Year let alone PFA Player of the Year. Dawson, Gallas and Modric have been our stand out performers this season. Yes, I did say Gallas. As much as I've booed him in the past when he was at Chelsea and Ars*nal, jeez what a player he is. I have to admit it turned my stomach over when we signed him but he's won me over big time. Never in a million years did I think that was going to happen.

Bale has been average at best since since before Christmas but he's been carrying a few knocks and the back injury hampered him for ages and he's only just coming back to full fitness now. To be fair to the lad though, I dont think anyone else in the Prem has had two better performances than his second half against Inter away and the return at WHL, destroying arguably the World's best right-sided full back in Maicon.

I would have given the award to Parker. If West Ham do manage to stay up, its down to him.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Does the PFA player of the year award just take into accountthis seasonor is itthe entire of 2010?

The 4th 5th 6th 7th words of your post answer the question.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2011
    I thought PFA player of the year was supposed to take into account domestic performances only, in which case Bales displays in the Champions Leagues are irrelevant. I've seen him struggle to get into games in the Premier League this season when teams have doubled up on him. In fact, I'd agree with JohnBoy and say that he probably hasn't even been Spurs best player this season.

I'd have to got for Parker. West Ham have been the worst team in the Premier league for some time and it is only Parker who may keep them up. He's out for a few games now so we'll see just how dependent they are on him, not that we don't know that anyway. I have heard the argument Parker should not win player of the year because he plays for a poor side, who will most likely be relegated this season. Surely this makes his performances even more remarkable considering the standard of player he is surrounded by...Not to mention the manager.

Tevez would be a close second along with Wileshire and Nani.
  • [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]I wondered when this was going to come up.

Agree entirely. I wouldnt have thought Bale will win the Club Player of the Year let alone PFA Player of the Year. Dawson, Gallas and Modric have been our stand out performers this season. Yes, I did say Gallas. As much as I've booed him in the past when he was at Chelsea and Ars*nal, jeez what a player he is. I have to admit it turned my stomach over when we signed him but he's won me over big time. Never in a million years did I think that was going to happen.

Bale has been average at best since since before Christmas but he's been carrying a few knocks and the back injury hampered him for ages and he's only just coming back to full fitness now. To be fair to the lad though, I dont think anyone else in the Prem has had two better performances than his second half against Inter away and the return at WHL, destroying arguably the World's best right-sided full back in Maicon.

I would have given the award to Parker. If West Ham do manage to stay up, its down to him.

And there's the problem. Bale's best displays have been in EUROPE. This is surely a domestic award, were it not for those games against Inter i don't think he'd have even made the shortlist.

Also Parker, how can he be nominated for POTY yet didn't even make the team of the season?

And Ashley Cole made the team ahead of Leighton Baines who has scored more and made more assists. I'm convinced players just think "oh who's a good left back" and Cole is the first that springs to mind.
  • I think I read somewhere that the players are just given a blank form and told to fill it in there and then. I doubt much serious thought goes into it. Was Giggs really the best player last year?
  • I think Rooney or Drogba won it last year Giggs was the year before.
  • That's almost certainly true. Time flies when you are having fun.
  • Players thinking about who they will vote for? i dont think so.Their thought process is:

* How much am i getting?
    * How much more can i get?
    * What new motor will they get me ?
    * When will the next blonde bimbo sit on my head?
    * What shall i do after 1PM when my "shift " ends?

Puting an X on a card ? i doubt if they could spell X let alone be arsed to do it.
  • correct me if I'm wrong, but is the PFA player of the year meant to be decided on the players overall performance in the premiership only?? because I believe Bale got it for his champions league performances alone. The promo video of him at the awards was I'd guess about 90% champions league performances. And after seeing his stats for the season on sky sports news he definitely didnt deserve it. Dont get me wrong, good player, but I think Parker should have won it!
    Doesnt seem fair if he got it for his champions league efforts IF it is meant to be decided on Premiership efforts.
  • The funny one is Nani. I don't like him much but someone was making the point that he's significantly scored and created more goals than Bale and doesn't seem to get a look in, in the nominations and nobody seems to surprised. I do think Bale was a good choice though, his pace and power particularly pre-injury were different class
  • Bale is over rated , and injury prone, got nothing on Messi.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]Bale is over rated , and injury prone, got nothing on Messi.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would of voted for van der sar personally but keepers never get a look in anyway. If united didn't have him now, they wouldn't be top of the prem