Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Midfielder Bradley Pritchard signs from Hayes & Yeading

Comments

• Options

I thought with Cousins and such like we had some decent lads coming through!

The problem is that the current crop of talented youngsters, Solly and Jenkinson (even though he's going/gone) apart, are a tad too young for regular first team action, in a couple of years Cousins, Harriot, Diego Poyet etc will be ready but they are all around the 16/17 year old mark and should be introduced slowly to first team football. Secondly our youth and reserves teams shouldn't be closed shops, and we need a talented pool of players. Most teams in L1 can put out a decent first XI, but what will make the difference is having some good players on the bench and in the stands to call up in case of injuries and suspensions etc. Plus it'll keep our starting XI players on their toes.

• Options

A modern degree is no mark of intelligence. The number of people i went to university with that could tick the boxes of their coursework requirements and pass a few exams but were ultimately thick as Adele's knicker elastic was unbelievable.

On particular doris i was pals with thought her home town Brum was north of where we were. We were in Liverpool. She got a first.

Many college drop outs like Richard Branson and Bill Gates have more intelligence than your average PHD student and id say nowdays the smart kids are the ones who swerve the further education con trick altogether.

Back on topic good luck to the new lad and glad to hear he's a follow Bromleyian. Perhaps ill bump into him on the 54 on the way home after games

• Options
    Is that not the  point though BFR, these guys are for  the future when Solly, and Cousin's should be ready!....... Assuming of course we are not in the Prem. 
    But first things first, let's get out of this dire league and back to where we belong the Championship, regroup and then upwards and onwards with as many  players we can get to support the team!. I care not a fig if they are young, or any other characteristic, except they are good enough to play at the level higher than we are in!.
    Finding young players from non league teams is a difficult art, but  let's not dismiss local footballers just because they are local!, albeit that some have not worked out over recent years! 
  • Options
    A nice lad and a very good cricketer a few years back.
  • Options

Ken...I think we have always looked widely - Sam Batram was a Geordie, others of his generation (including Stuart Leary) were Saffers.

It would be great to take only players born, bred, educated, brought up in our catchment area but the days when that could happen have gone, if indeed they ever existed. We need a skilled pool of players and while it would be great to rely on an unending stream of talented youngsters they tend to come in dribs and drabs. Of out first XI squad last year only Solly, Jenkinson, Elliot,  Fortune and Wagstaff were youth team products. Of that only Elliot and Wagstaff were regulars.

As you say, first things first, while we have some exciting kids coming through this coming season and maybe next, is too soon, the problem is now. I've no idea whether BP will be able to step up but I like the idea behind his signing - a fresh, enthusiastic face who knows this is his last chance to make it. I doubt he'll be a starter, but it's going to be great to have someone like that on the bench.  

• Options
    All that can be said at present is that it is difficult to see how Chrissy can do worse with his non league signings than Pardew or PArkinson and he may have done a lot better if Bradley can play and apply himself as well as he talks for himself.
  • Options
    I was in the same year at school as bradley, I was a bit shocked when I saw he had signed for us.from what I remember he has a great attitude and was always a nice chap .although he was part of a school team that never won a match. He was always one of the best in the year at sports but I never thought he would end up playing professional football ( we only had a year of 30 people) . I haven't spoken to him since I left year 11. 

its a bit bizzare as in the year above we had former youth team player stacey long 
  • Options
    I was in the same year at school as bradley, I was a bit shocked when I saw he had signed for us.from what I remember he has a great attitude and was always a nice chap .although he was part of a school team that never won a match. He was always one of the best in the year at sports but I never thought he would end up playing professional football ( we only had a year of 30 people) . I haven't spoken to him since I left year 11. 

its a bit bizzare as in the year above we had former youth team player stacey long 
    Dave Williams, head of PE at Bishop Challoner moulds the future of football, everyone knows that! Always been a big football related school though, lots of players kids have gone through there and a few managers too including Mick McCarthy's and even our very own Peter Varney's kids were educated there!
    And Stacy Long's mum is still the school secretary!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Stacy Long!..... He of Stevenage, formerly Ebbsfleet.
    Interesting that we use a lower league 'reference' to support Charlton's new player. interesting that when I suggested this a couple of posts ago it was dismissed!
    The lad may be a great buy! Let us hope so..... still think it is a punt!
    We shall see, shall we not!
  • Options
    sorry if someone as put if already but charlie austin signed for swindon town from poole town!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sorry if someone as put if already but charlie austin signed for swindon town from poole town!!!
    Another good example of what you can find in non-league if you look hard enough.

During the 2006/07 season, I regularly watched a Bristol City reject play for Weston-super-Mare in Conference South. Apart from being decent at dead ball situations, he didn't stand out that much at all.

After a couple of trials, he moved on to a bigger non-league team and helped them back into the league within a year or so. His game has gone from strength to strength ever since, culminating in a move to what could be a Premier League club come Monday teatime.

Ryan Harley is the player in question.
  • Options
    Sorry don't like him. Never seen him but he won't make it with us. Why are our scouts wasting time watching non-league players.

He clearly lacks ambition, he won't get first team football here, so must be coming for the money.

Shown no loyalty to Hayes, should have signed a new long term deal with them so we'd have to pay a big fee.

If Powell thinks signings like this will win us promotion he's got a lot to learn about being a manager.

Seriously, what planet are you living on? I know for a fact that he was so good for Hayes last season that they told him to leave because they couldn't possibly afford to keep him.

He pretty much single-handedly kept them up and he's definitely not going for the money - they're not paying him much at all! He's a guy who has been waiting for a break like this and is determined to take it, so don't say he has no ambition. He's thrilled to join such a great club and is incredibly hungry to succeed.

He's not the biggest, but I've seen him beat guys over 6ft in the air and he has an incredible engine, gets up and down for fun. Can spot a pass and also has an eye for making late runs into the box and getting on the end of things. He's always on the move, so he's very hard to track.

Sure, he may need a bit of time to adapt, but this is a guy who will give you everything on the pitch, not like some players nowadays who are happy to take their money and run.

Basically, as others have said, this is surely a win-win for club and player. If it doesn't work out, you've spent next to nothing on him, but if it does (which I think it will, having watched him many times) then happy days for the Addicks! For God's sake just get behind him like the even-minded fans have done on here!

• Options
    Wooooooosh!
  • Options
    Sarcasm should be banned.
  • Options
    Baldinho, im fairly sure Scoham was joking
  • Options
    Lol Oh dear Baldinho. Whooooooooossshhhhh!
  • Options
    Sounds like you've bitten, Baldinho......!

If you've ever read Scoham's posts on a regular basis, you'll have found out that he's one of the most knowledgeable and astute posters on here.

This time though, he just wrote a parody of how many posters react to the signing of a player from non-league.

;o)
  • Options

Hmm, I'll get my coat!

Well I guess you can just take my post as assurance from someone who has actually seen him play!

• Options
    No point in moaning about him, and if any fool says 'he's non league he has no ambition' i have no idea what planet they're on. it's shown that given a chance non league players are the one's that always have the desire to do well and to make it in league football people forget were not a premier league club we can't pick from championship and premier league players up anymore. we've gotta find some bargains, i've seen his goals and he looks good enough, i know it's a higher level but it's still the same game and he's worth a punt at least! 

you can't be a supporter if you don't support the club and it's players who haven't even had a chance at the bloody club!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I see BP is getting rave reviews for his performance at Carlisle.

Not just high scores because we were promoted but more than a few saying he was man of the match.

A real life fairy story of the 25 year old plucked from non-league and doing it in league 1.

First ever season in league football and he gets a medal (fingers crossed) if we get 4 more points.

And there is an option for another year.

Hope he stays with us but even if he doesn't he has surely done enough to earn a contract somewhere else in league 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with Henry. He may be small and light but he still gets the ball and plays it to a team mate. He knows how fortunate he is to be playing at this level and he is going to enjoy every minute by playing his heart out. Yet another excellent talent spot by CP and his backroom team.
  • Options
    One of the key pieces of SCP management this season was knowing when to play him, and more importantly, when to rest him.

Other managers have had young talent and not rested them after initially giving them a burst of games.

• Options
    love this fella!! wud have him in the squad for next year for sure!

anyone else see him banging the drum? legend!
  • Options
    I really like Pritchard, full of energy and looks to get forward whenever he can.

Would definitely offer him another season.
  • Options
    When I first saw Pritchard in a pre season video on Player I had a good feeling about this season. His attitude was superb and seemed to be so honoured to be at the club. His performances have exceeded all expectations and I actually think he's been the find of the season. Yann has been brilliant, but I think his ability was already known within the game. Pritchard has arrived from nowhere and has made a big impact.
  • Options
    They had better not let him go! He's barely put a foot wrong and I can only see him getting better.
  • Options
    He's the new Keith Jones - energetic, tenacious, likeable character plus he's quite low to the ground and has a very round head ;-)
  • Options
    He will get a new 2 year deal i think. Cant see no reason why he cant stay and get even better with us. You look at some of the Norwich and Swansea players who have moved through the leagues with them.
  • Options
    Agree, I would definitely keep him on. Seems to have got better each time I've seen him, whether that's improving ability, more confidence who knows but whatever they are telling him it seems to be working.
  • Options
    He's good for morale as well seems like a really upbeat happy bloke