Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The moaners at The Valley

During yesterday evenings match, there was a fella sitting two or three rows behind me, constantly slagging off bwp for his lazyness, it really started getting on my nerves, the funny thing was when he was midway through a negative sentence about bwp, he scored, his face was priceless when me and Marriott 110 turned and just looked at him too say HA! I don't know whether it occured too him that it was only a friendly and also that bwp's job isn't too run around like a headless chicken, what I'm getting at is that I just don't think there's any pleasing some fans! We should all be behind the team, especially at such a fresh start! Shame some people can't help themselves!

Comments

• Some people are just idiots, Greenie J.  What can you do.....
  • evidently start a thread on charlton life ;-)
  • greenie jnr...was the guy simply sitting and talking to his mate about it or was he actaully shouting it out? Ive got no problem with other fans talking out there arse as long as its kept between them and their mates.

just ignore it.

• Sounds like JT and Nick Gray again to me.
  • Some bloke spent much of the first half slagging off Benson - maybe I should have pointed out the guy he was referring to was Hayes.
  • Bit of both, to be honest, like hed shout something, then further discuss it with whoever he was with, just got irritated with it, I think at one point he started moaning about green aswell,
  • Too many moaners at Charlton. We have been underperforming in the last few years, thats obvious, but whats the point in coming to the games if you just gana sit there and moan whatever the outcome of the match it.
  • If you read the Good Companions by JB Priestley you get this bit:

To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink. For a shilling the Bruddersford United AFC offered you Conflict and Art; it turned you into a critic, happy in your judgement of fine points, ready in a second to estimate the worth of a well-judged pass, a run down the touch line, a lightning shot, a clearance kick by back or goalkeeper; it turned you into a partisan, holding your breath when the ball came sailing into your own goalmouth, ecstatic when your forwards raced away towards the opposite goal, elated, downcast, bitter, triumphant by turn at the fortunes of your side, watching a ball shape Iliads and Odysseys for you; and what is more, it turned you into a member of a new community, all brothers together for an hour and a half, for not only had you escaped from the clanking machinery of this lesser life, from work, wages, rent, doles, sick pay, insurance cards, nagging wives, ailing children, bad bosses, idle workmen, but you had escaped with most of your neighbours, with half the town, and there you were cheering together, thumping one another on the shoulders, swopping judgements like lords of the earth, having pushed your way through a turnstile into another and altogether more splendid kind of life, hurtling with Conflict and yet passionate and beautiful in its Art. Moreover it offered you more than a shilling's worth of material for talk during the rest of the week. A man who had missed the last home match of "t'United" had to enter social life on a tiptoe in Bruddersford."

A wonderful bit of writing. Some people need to go to football for an escape and a release, and slagging off players is the vehicle or even therapy for some folk. It was ever thus. The way to deal with it is maybe not to expect all fellow supporters to see things your way, but rather to sing up for the lads more forcefully and dilute the effect of the moaners.

• Seth and JB Priestley just nailed it, right there.
  • i know its a bit silly but this is the reason my dad doesnt go to the valley anymore or even football anywhere!! well one of the reasons anyway! hes last games the 4-4 draw with norwich at the valley after that he said im not seating i my seat lisening to people slagging of the charlton players!! and coz i cant change seats easerly im not going to go ever again! he misses the standing!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh give it a rest!
  • Out of interest where was you sitting? Guy behind me was moaning about BWP but i made him right. First half Powell was demanding more pressure from BWP on the center half who was playing long diagonals causing Wiggins and Solly a few problems. 2nd half BWP was chasing a lot more and put more pressure on them which helped us in pretty much dominating 2nd half.

Funny old game aye.

Also people were booing Wiggins, that IMO is ridiculous!
  • about 3 seats left of home dugout @heavense7 ( i was with him)
  • few decent bits of crumpet in the crowd last night (west stand) just wonder if it's the new lot's WaGs

• Youngsters?  They were american students I'm afraid.
  • Oh give it a rest!
    Give what a rest..
  • It's football people moan they pay for a ticket they have as much right to moan or cheer or do whatever they want within reason as anyone else. We have a moaning thread every season and debate that comes to no conclusion.
  • in that case.. Its a forum people can write what they want and start discussions on whatever they want, even if they come to no conclusion..
  • Opinions eh ! Who'd have 'em?
  • Why don't we put it to the board to create a "moaning stand" which can be for the regular moaners who have season tickets there, or for those who are just generally pissed off that day and want to shout at someone?

I'd suggest C block in the Jimmy Seed stand. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• It's football people moan they pay for a ticket they have as much right to moan or cheer or do whatever they want within reason as anyone else. We have a moaning thread every season and debate that comes to no conclusion.

Those who go to support the team have rights too. I wish the moaners would have their say on here stay at home if they cant get behind the team. Some idiots behind me booed Benson when he came on
  • Why don't we put it to the board to create a "moaning stand" which can be for the regular moaners who have season tickets there, or for those who are just generally pissed off that day and want to shout at someone?

I'd suggest C block in the Jimmy Seed stand. :-)
    There was a "Moaners Corner" terrace at Woking on Saturday. The official name for it and everything! I agree we should have something similar. I'd be interested to know if the arseholes who moan about players at the Valley moan about everything else in their life, ie send back every restaurant meal they're served because one of the carrots is too hot/cold/short/long/lazy and so on. Or do they have the English "don't complain" attitude in the rest of their daily life, but somehow think football is a general vent for them to focus all their other bitterness on. I suspect the latter. The general impression I get of the moaners is it's not actually the players on the pitch they're upset about (given how irrational most of their complaints are, they're clearly hardly even watching the games). They're just abusing Benson, Francis et al as some kind of twisted payback for the fact that their boss keeps passing them over for promotion and they can't sexually satisfy their wife. IMHO.
  • I get sick and tired of the people that moan about the moaners.
  • Not as sick and tired as i do

of the people who moan about the moaners who are moaning about the moaners who moan

• Anyone who thinks that you can eliminate moaners all together is deluded, whether it is at a game, in the office, at home etc. My response is always to crank up my loud positive support in an obvious way, but if they are naturally a moaner you won't stop them.
  • I get sick and tired of the people that moan about the moaners.

Best post on this thread.

We get these every few weeks and its the same old comments.

It gets a little boring

• Can we start a dog thread again! Not seen one of those for a week
  • Happens everywhere..

Could be a top four club and youd still have players like Denilson, Arshavin, Diaby, Eboue, Bendtner to moan about. (Just to name a few useless Arsenal players..)
  • If you read the Good Companions by JB Priestley you get this bit:

To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink. For a shilling the Bruddersford United AFC offered you Conflict and Art; it turned you into a critic, happy in your judgement of fine points, ready in a second to estimate the worth of a well-judged pass, a run down the touch line, a lightning shot, a clearance kick by back or goalkeeper; it turned you into a partisan, holding your breath when the ball came sailing into your own goalmouth, ecstatic when your forwards raced away towards the opposite goal, elated, downcast, bitter, triumphant by turn at the fortunes of your side, watching a ball shape Iliads and Odysseys for you; and what is more, it turned you into a member of a new community, all brothers together for an hour and a half, for not only had you escaped from the clanking machinery of this lesser life, from work, wages, rent, doles, sick pay, insurance cards, nagging wives, ailing children, bad bosses, idle workmen, but you had escaped with most of your neighbours, with half the town, and there you were cheering together, thumping one another on the shoulders, swopping judgements like lords of the earth, having pushed your way through a turnstile into another and altogether more splendid kind of life, hurtling with Conflict and yet passionate and beautiful in its Art. Moreover it offered you more than a shilling's worth of material for talk during the rest of the week. A man who had missed the last home match of "t'United" had to enter social life on a tiptoe in Bruddersford."

A wonderful bit of writing. Some people need to go to football for an escape and a release, and slagging off players is the vehicle or even therapy for some folk. It was ever thus. The way to deal with it is maybe not to expect all fellow supporters to see things your way, but rather to sing up for the lads more forcefully and dilute the effect of the moaners.

thats what makes cl a special place .........genuie thanks to sp
  • Can we start a dog thread again! Not seen one of those for a week
    Are you moaning about dogs now?

: - )