Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Red red robin, instead of just clapping in unison when it's played

Is it tirme we all started signing the words as well...the club could stick the words up on the new screen and a bouncy ball could indicate the timing for those that need it...

Comments

• Good idea.
  • I don't think this would be a good idea i prefer the clapping.
  • I sing it already!
  • I sing it already!
    me too, esp the trumpet bit, ber ber der der der. :-)

Been doing it for years and became a bit of a running joke with my brother, mate and myself.
  • I always sing!
  • I sing it already!
    Ps thats why you get so many ear muffs in the West Stand
  • I sing too
  • I love it, strikes fear into the opposition when played ;)
  • Dont worry about the red Robin, let's make noise for 90 mins
  • Is it tirme we all started signing the words as well...the club could stick the words up on the new screen and a bouncy ball could indicate the timing for those that need it...
    Why can't we sing it in different languages , for those of us that like a challenge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dont worry about the red Robin, let's make noise for 90 mins
    Hmmmmm
  • perhaps we could all do The Poznan to it
  • Clapping in unison has spread effectively through the crowd, you will never get the whole crowd singing unfortunately.
  • My own opinion is.........that its embarrassing, but I am sure many will disagree due to tradition. My Great Nan loved it though.

• My own opinion is.........that its embarrassing, but I am sure many will disagree due to tradition. My Great Nan loved it though.

Maybe we could get a drum n bass or RnB version for you young uns..................
  • I love the song as much as anyone - but for some reason, the whole clapping in time to it just makes me cringe. I dont know why, but seeing everyone clapping along in time with silly grins on their faces makes me think of thermos flasks, backpacks, macks,etc etc. Note sure why it does, but it just does. It doesn't feel very intimidating for the opposition team when they come out (not that I want a riot to start anytime soon).

Anyway, nothing against the song. Everyone claps when the teams come out, so maybe it cant be helped clapping in time to the song.

• You mean it's like when you're a teenager in a punk band and your mum's in the audience clapping along "that's my son spitting" she says proudly. LOL. ;-)
  • my 5 and 3 year old sons love it , it's the highlight of coming to the valley for them cos the football is junk

if it get's them addickted i'm all for it

• Blimey, what don't Charlton supporters do that there on supporters slate them for? It's a bit of clapping!
  • I dont know really. I am probably classed as one of the 'boring' CAFC fans myself. 31 year old (so not that young), 3 year old at home who I will hopefully bring in years to come. Live the high life that most Dads do of falling asleep on the sofa at 9pm every night. So I am not that wild - maybe I should be a 'clapping in unison' convert!
  • Sponsored links:

• I dont mind it, expect anyone who i bring along to take the piss though.

I dont clap though, eat my burger..

But do you chew in time to the music?
  • my 5 and 3 year old sons love it , it's the highlight of coming to the valley for them cos the football is junk

if it get's them addickted i'm all for it

I can remember my eldest bursting into tears when he was little because we arrived late and he missed the Red Red Robin.  He'd hate me for posting this ;-)
  • I'm proud of it and love the song. Couldn't care less what the opposing fans think, it's wonderful that we have tradition. It's better than running out to some 90s dance rubbish.

But do you chew in time to the music?
    hahaha.

• Absolutely essential to the great heritage of the club and always brings a lump to my throat even though my Mrs. thinks it's a complete joke.

I have stopped bringing her to the Valley after she told me that (obviously).

I remember the song being sang proudly when the grass at the Valley terraces was like the tropical jungles of Borneo and the hot dog stand was like a sole missionary outpost in the vast wilderness. My dad put me on the roof of the stall with the other young kids to avoid the blood-shed below.

The lyrics could be printed in the programme for the post premiership crowd.

• This might bea far-out siggestion but can't people clap and sing or is that testing people's coordination too much?

And if you don't know the words, learn them. Having words displayed on screns or in programmes is embarrassing and something a club with plastic fans would do.

• Do not post words for people to sing along thats ridiculous and embarrasing!

MOST/ALL TRUE CHARLTON FANS WILL KNOW THE WORDS COME ON NOW.
  • When the Red Red Robin comes bob bob bobbing along, along,

There'll be no more sobbing when he starts throbbing his old sweet song!

Wake up! Wake up, you sleepy head!

Get up! Get up, get out of bed!

Cheer up, cheer up the sun is red!

Live, love, laugh and be happy!

What if I were blue? Now I'm walking through fields of flowers.

Rain may glisten but still I listen for hours and hours,

I'm just a kid again, doing what I did again, singing a song,

When the Red Red Robin comes bob bob bobbing along!

(It's roughly that. Might be a few odd words wrong here and there, but still.) It's really not difficult to learn; my son was singing it when he was around 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzbcBtuCmio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVHcUbyvPyk 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOn-uIDk-oE 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1nlgeQCcpE&feature=related

The writer of Red Red Robin also co-wrote this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dael4sb42nI

• I love the Red Red Robin - i have been brought up with that tune and have had it played at family members funerals but i do wonder what it would be like to have a different anthem , one that might send some fear into the opposition.