Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

henry - do we know what the numbers for season ticket sales

now stand at ?...

Comments

• just over 17k was the last number I heard.
  • i guess there's no real reason for anybody else to buy one now...
  • Well you might want to watch Charlton play and be guarenteed the same seat at a cost less than 23 x the match day price and avoiding having to buy a ticket everytime. So pretty much the same reasons people buy a ST most years.

The freebie for under 11s is still on offer. There will be a big push on this and the STs in general during the summer events and there are always a number of people who renew just as the season begins and even after. The north stand selling out will galvanise a few people who thought that they could pick and choose as well IMHO.
  • what is the freebie for under 11s?
  • A free season ticket if we go up.
  • edited May 2007
    the north stand sold out because its cheap...the under 11s offer will still mean that an adult will be committing themselves to an outlay of over a grand so i doubt that particular offer is going to have them queuing around the corner...and with a 23 game season, no obvious sell out matches and 10000 seats to be sold, there's bound to be plenty of special offers for a lot of the games...
  • We won't be getting many more will we, bit embarrassing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]We won't be getting many more will we, bit embarrassing.

that's why it might be a good idea to re-open the original offer for say the month of june and to similtaneously announce the east stand extension and a resulting cut in capacity for next season while the work is being carried out...
  • edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]the north stand sold out because its cheap...the under 11s offer will still mean that an adult will be committing themselves to an outlay of over a grand so i doubt that particular offer is going to have them queuing around the corner...and with a 23 game season, no obvious sell out matches and 10000 seats to be sold, there's bound to be plenty of special offers for a lot of the games...

Not sure why you're on such a downer about the ST unless you are trying to prove that we should have extended the freebie offer as you wanted. EDIT just seen your post.

Of course the cheap seats sell out first. Where don't they?

Yes the freebie for kids is aimed to bring in their adults as well but that has always been the case with the £99 price point.

Don't know where you get £1000 from? my east stand STs were £475 for me and £99 for my son. I make that £574. You aren't committed to buying next year which ever division we are in and even if they do renew that's £1000 over TWO years.

I think there will be some sell outs if we are doing OK. The two sheffield clubs, Palace, QPR, Ispwich, Norwich, West Brom will all fill the Jimmy seed IMHO and we know that we can sell walk up tickets and to parties. We sold out Wigan when they brought 1000 fans and we were 2nd bottom so filling the ground when we are in the top 6 should not be beyond us.

There may well be some offers when we play Blackpool at home on Tuesday night and it's live on Setanta but we've always done that going back to the early 90s. It's how we've built the support to the point to where 17k ST holder in MAY is seen as poor by some people.

EDIT and as I've said before you have to pay for the extention. Where is the money coming from?

And you don't cut the capacity, you just take the roof off. If we did close the East Stand the ground would be full already as you have just lost 6000 seats.
  • you are committing yourself to a grand (two years or not, its still a committment) as no parent is going to turn around and say to his 12 year old or younger 'sorry, that's the only season you can go to football until you're old enough to go on your own'...and i didn't say the club should competely close the east stand for the whole season, only imply it...the threat of not being able to get in coupled with the free season ticket offer for another month should sell a lot of tickets...
  • Sponsored links:

• Well said Henry. Personally i think over 17k sold before June is brilliant and should ensure that we will have comfortably over 20k there for every home game.
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]you are committing yourself to a grand (two years or not, its still a committment) as no parent is going to turn around and say to his 12 year old or younger 'sorry, that's the only season you can go to football until you're old enough to go on your own'...and i didn't say the club should competely close the east stand for the whole season, only imply it...the threat of not being able to get in coupled with the free season ticket offer for another month should sell a lot of tickets...

But that is still £1000 for TWO seasons one which is for the Prem. And if you take kids to football of course they and you might get hooked. That's how lost leaders work in marketing.

As for just implying that we'd shut the East Stand you are suggesting we build an offer around a lie. Come on, you'd be the first on hear moaning that the club weren't being straight with us, scaring us into buying and then not closing the stand etc etc. I know the board have taken some stick this season, some of it deserved, but do you really think we are that shabby?

As I've said before there was plenty of time to take up the freebie offer (you moaned it was too long at the time) so if you were going to be attracted only by that offer then you would have renewed/bought already. We got the big renewal and so some idea of income early on which is what was wanted and that contributed to buying Luke Varney.

Now we are in another stage of the marketing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Well said Henry. Personally i think over 17k sold before June is brilliant and should ensure that we will have comfortably over 20k there for every home game.

Cheers Chris, I make you right.
  • henry - i didn't mona it was too long, only that they club had its timing wrong with the alan pardew phone calls in march/early april ? when i suspected most fans would be leaving it until the last minute to pay for s/tickets...whether its two years or not, its still going to make the waiverers question whether they can afford it or not...re open the offer to everybody and with a successful season you know you have them for two seasons and probably hooked for life after that...
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]henry - i didn't mona it was too long, only that they club had its timing wrong with the alan pardew phone calls in march/early april ? when i suspected most fans would be leaving it until the last minute to pay for s/tickets...whether its two years or not, its still going to make the waiverers question whether they can afford it or not...re open the offer to everybody and with a successful season you know you have them for two seasons and probably hooked for life after that...

Not going to happen.
  • ideal scenario:

1. on the final day of the offer, it should of been announced that due to the weight of interest in had been extended for a further week. Make a big song and dance about the amount of renewals and try to recapture quickly those that hadn't and planned to pick and choose.

2. the offer should not of been re-opened, its unfair to those that had made the effort, but a less generous incentive package should of been offered instead.
    eg. Buy a Charlton ST by the 13th July and qualify for a 50% reduction for the 08-09 season if the club gets promoted. After the 13th July till the start of the season, the same offer should be available but with a 25% discount.

If this was in place, i'm pretty sure we would be starting the new season with every possible season ticket sold.
  • option 2 would mean a very complicated offer, re-printing leaflets/application forms and be confusing to those pondering over whether to buy or not which not what you want when you are trying to bring in new people or waiverers.
  • afka...alternatively, they could introduce a new shirt and give it to the 17k that bought a s/ticket before the end of april (which the sound of it includes a lot of us that dont normally buy one anyway)...then make some of the money back from sales of the new shirts to other fans...
  • and we don't buy them cos we don't want them.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]option 2 would mean a very complicated offer, re-printing leaflets/application forms and be confusing to those pondering over whether to buy or not which not what you want when you are trying to bring in new people or waiverers.[/quote]

i don't think its too complicated, if the strategy was agreed in advance.

You have three key dates:

1. the original offer cut off date (100% offer)
    2. a halfway point date (50% offer)
    3. the day before the start of the season (25% offer)

it would mean adverts in local press, and on the club website would only need to be tweaked twice, which i reckon they will be doing a lot more anyway, while the application form would only have to change one extra time.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]and we don't buy them cos we don't want them.

of course we dont want them, they're naff, polyester, and expensive rip-offs and we dont do those things...just a shame they are also an obvious way of showing support and pride for the team we love...
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]and we don't buy them cos we don't want them.

of course we dont want them, they're naff, polyester, and expensive rip-offs and we dont do those things...just a shame they are also an obvious way of showing support and pride for the team we love...

you said that not me but if so why would we be happy to be given one. And my son has a replica shirt but he's 8 and has his own ST anyway.
  • we still may not wear them, but if they're free you take away the rip-off element and you cross the bridge of possession of one...in which case, we might just slip it on for the occasional game or two...and introduce a new shirt for the championship - your son hasn't got one of those...
  • LTGTR, I give up.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]and we don't buy them cos we don't want them.

I don't own a porche
    I don't own a house
    I don't own a lot of things

I'd quite like them if they where free though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]LTGTR, I give up.

no point in my starting these debates if you're going to do that...
  • ltgtr 1- 0 Sir Henry
  • edited May 2007
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]ltgtr 1- 0 Sir Henry

LOL
  • I think the club have got the ST renewal and offer completetly spot on. There needs to be cut off dates on all promotions and these need to be set in stone from the outset - which they have.

There was a tad confusion caused by the whole wording of the offer but I am certain were ironed out and answered in later news items on the official site and other usual channels.

The free season ticket for the promoted season was a massive gesture and a huge added bonus for *everyone* to renew. I myself, along with thousands of others didn't need this incentive to renew, as we were going to anyway, but those who were "new" to supporting Charlton in recent years and "liked" watching Premiership football, may have needed a push in the right direction...a potential saving of £350-400, across two seasons if we are promoted surely helps.

Without focusing too much on the offer, which needed to have the cut-off dates within the season still (just in case people were holding out for results to determine if the offer would run its course), the overall ticket prices are very, very competitive.

Just looking across the rest of the Championship teams and a few in particular, Southampton - their prices start from £450 (adults), whilst fellow relegated sides Watford are £350 and Sheff Utd are £340 - in comparison ours start from £315. We are all clearly very nervous about losing Premiership status and losing bums on sits is something they are all not prepared to do - hence all these deals.

Also note Sheff Utd are doing a similar promotion deal, whereby ST's will be half price if the Blades are promoted - there are no cut off dates apart from when the season kicks-off, which is good enough!

This conicides with AFAK's comments and suggests that Charlton could do the same to those who renew or buy ST's from 1st May onwards? I can't believe it will effect any of the promotional information and I'm sure they have records to show who purchased a ticket after April 30th. They can then say those who purchased before the cut-off are still in with a chance of getting next season free - thats safe (check the avatar ;) ) and those who purchased from 1st May up to the start of the season 11th August, will get next seasons ST 50% cheaper if we are promoted - what a bonus to those who thought they narrowly missed out on the free promotion and an added incentive for the remaining people to sign up!

Surely then, this will encourage the remaining 3-5k other fans to get a ST?

It's all about marketing at the end of the day - free tickets, half price this, half price that, free new away shirt, etc, etc - you don't have to buy 8 cans of beans, but as its 3 for 2 you may as well! ;-)