Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Movies you would recommend to others

1235

Comments

  • LenGlover
    LenGlover Posts: 32,424
    Loads of good films but Get Carter 1971 hasn’t been mentioned starring Michael Caine.
  • CaptainRobbo
    CaptainRobbo Posts: 2,825
    edited October 3
    LenGlover said:
    Loads of good films but Get Carter 1971 hasn’t been mentioned starring Michael Caine.
    Caine has never been better 


  • Only ever seen one Kurosawa film, but what a film.
    Yojimbo.
    Toshiro Mifune is a force of nature, mastering action and comedy like a hybrid of Wisdom and Schwarzenegger.
    I need to see more Kurosawa. 
    Great Director and rightly famed for his samurai films (Seven Samurai objectively the stand out). 

    Actually my favourite film of his isn’t a samurai movie. Ikiru is a really touching film, well worth anyone’s time. 
  • AddicksAddict
    AddicksAddict Posts: 16,877
    Andrea Arnold’s first two feature films, Red Road and Fish Tank. Her Oscar-winning short isn’t bad either.
  • Carter
    Carter Posts: 14,764
    LenGlover said:
    Loads of good films but Get Carter 1971 hasn’t been mentioned starring Michael Caine.
    Caine has never been better 


    Me and my best mate used to quote this film to each other all the time

    I tried it once to a bouncer 

    "Your a big man, but you are out of shape, for me this is a full time job" 
  • HastingsRed
    HastingsRed Posts: 1,875
    LenGlover said:
    Loads of good films but Get Carter 1971 hasn’t been mentioned starring Michael Caine.
    My favorite film even have a huge Get Carter poster in our front room....then my surname is Carter....and middle name is Jack.
  • Bedsaddick
    Bedsaddick Posts: 25,910
    edited October 4
    Andrea Arnold’s first two feature films, Red Road and Fish Tank. Her Oscar-winning short isn’t bad either.
    I watched her 2024 film Bird last night ,  set in Gravesend. Very good but it doesn’t do Gravesend any favours! 
  • CaptainRobbo
    CaptainRobbo Posts: 2,825
    Andrea Arnold’s first two feature films, Red Road and Fish Tank. Her Oscar-winning short isn’t bad either.
    I watched her 2024 film Bird last night ,  set in Gravesend. Very good but it doesn’t do Gravesend any favours! 
    Gravesend doesn't do Gravesend any favors.
  • up_the_valley
    up_the_valley Posts: 4,734
    This really shouldn't need explaining. 
  • We saw Pressure yesterday, it's about the weather forecasting for the D-Day landings. The main characters are the chief British and American forecasters, Ike and his female assistant and Monty.
    Such a very, very good film.

  • Sponsored links:



  • iaitch
    iaitch Posts: 10,850
    LenGlover said:
    Loads of good films but Get Carter 1971 hasn’t been mentioned starring Michael Caine.
    My favorite film even have a huge Get Carter poster in our front room....then my surname is Carter....and middle name is Jack.
    I wouldn't go to a deserted beach anytime soon then.
  • cblock
    cblock Posts: 2,095
    iaitch said:
    LenGlover said:
    Loads of good films but Get Carter 1971 hasn’t been mentioned starring Michael Caine.
    My favorite film even have a huge Get Carter poster in our front room....then my surname is Carter....and middle name is Jack.
    I wouldn't go to a deserted beach then.

  • AddicksAddict
    AddicksAddict Posts: 16,877
    We saw Pressure yesterday, it's about the weather forecasting for the D-Day landings. The main characters are the chief British and American forecasters, Ike and his female assistant and Monty.
    Such a very, very good film.
    My brother said exactly the same on the family WhatsApp. Ms. AA doesn’t fancy it at all so I’ll have to go see it on my own.
  • AddicksAddict
    AddicksAddict Posts: 16,877
    Grave of the fireflies, a Japanese animated film, no large robots or tentacled aliens.
  • IdleHans
    IdleHans Posts: 11,804
    edited October 4
    The Devil's Backbone (Spanish, del Toro). Even better imho than Pan's Labyrinth.

    Fandango (USA 1985) starring Kevin Costner but don't let that put you off. A film aimed at younger blokes, I'd say, I stumbled across it late one night on BBC2 and loved it. Funny, poignant in parts, with some great set pieces. 
  • JiMMy 85
    JiMMy 85 Posts: 10,311
    There's a low budget movie you can watch for free on YouTube. I really, really like it. It's called The Man From Earth, which is, admittedly, the laziest title of a movie since The Neverending Story II. And while some of the acting is a little bit ropey, I really like the script and the idea behind it. It's about a bloke who works at a college, and one day he has to leave and he tells his colleagues it's because he's immortal. It's hard to tell if it's a thought experiment, or if he's telling the truth... 

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzsL_49Q_nU
  • stonemuse
    stonemuse Posts: 35,131
    We saw Pressure yesterday, it's about the weather forecasting for the D-Day landings. The main characters are the chief British and American forecasters, Ike and his female assistant and Monty.
    Such a very, very good film.
    It’s a superb film. 
  • stonemuse
    stonemuse Posts: 35,131
    Grave of the fireflies, a Japanese animated film, no large robots or tentacled aliens.
    Ghibli studios … excellent 
  • LennyLowrent
    LennyLowrent Posts: 2,783
    Room for Romeo Brass
    Black cat white cat
    Bagdad Cafe
    BIG night
    The Big Lebawski
    The imposters
  • Chunes
    Chunes Posts: 19,166
    edited October 5
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    The Nice Guys
    LA Confidential
    Body Heat 
    Stevie
    Three Idiots
    Memories of Murder
    Sicario


  • Sponsored links:



  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 8,406
    Saw Everyone likes Bill Evans last week. Really good film.


  • Fumbluff
    Fumbluff Posts: 10,671
    JiMMy 85 said:
    There's a low budget movie you can watch for free on YouTube. I really, really like it. It's called The Man From Earth, which is, admittedly, the laziest title of a movie since The Neverending Story II. And while some of the acting is a little bit ropey, I really like the script and the idea behind it. It's about a bloke who works at a college, and one day he has to leave and he tells his colleagues it's because he's immortal. It's hard to tell if it's a thought experiment, or if he's telling the truth... 

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzsL_49Q_nU
    I’ve had this recommended to me before as a really interesting slant on sci-fi but I couldn’t get into it, I guess I’m just simple and need laser guns in my sci-fi 😬
  • Not new, Watched Casino Royal , Daniel Craig’s first bond film.

    I’d forgotten lots of it, so it was good to see how it had aged after 20 years.

    Glad I did watch it, might watch a few more. 
  • AddicksAddict
    AddicksAddict Posts: 16,877
    The Karman Line, a short starring Olivia Coleman. We saw it at a film festival where It was presented by the maker and he gave us the story of how he got the money together to fund it by winning various short film competitions.
  • Carter
    Carter Posts: 14,764
    Not new, Watched Casino Royal , Daniel Craig’s first bond film.

    I’d forgotten lots of it, so it was good to see how it had aged after 20 years.

    Glad I did watch it, might watch a few more. 
    Thats about the perfect Bond film
  • hoof_it_up_to_benty
    hoof_it_up_to_benty Posts: 23,307
    edited October 6
    Andrea Arnold’s first two feature films, Red Road and Fish Tank. Her Oscar-winning short isn’t bad either.
    I watched her 2024 film Bird last night ,  set in Gravesend. Very good but it doesn’t do Gravesend any favours! 
    Bird is a really good film - plenty of memorable scenes. Barry Keoghan is excellent.
  • Cinema Paradiso is one of my favourites - such an emotional watch. A film about getting older and looking back....
  • DA9
    DA9 Posts: 11,246
    As a huge fan of the genre/topic, has anyone seen disclosure day and what were your thoughts?
  • JiMMy 85
    JiMMy 85 Posts: 10,311
    DA9 said:
    As a huge fan of the genre/topic, has anyone seen disclosure day and what were your thoughts?
    I thoroughly enjoyed the opening sequence, brilliantly crafted stuff. For the next hour the mystery was teased out and I was well into it. It had all the positive Spielberg hallmarks. I was going along with it quite happily. And then we got to the final act, which might be the worst finish to a movie of Spielberg's career. It made me think he's living in a Hollywood bubble of wilful naivety. Utterly stupid stuff and the first half of the movie deserved a better ending than that absolute dross. I've long-wished Spielberg would make a proper adult thriller before his career is over, but that wasn't it. 
  • CAFCTrev
    CAFCTrev Posts: 6,520
    Screw all these poncy arthouse films people are posting to pretend they’re bougie film critics. This is the stuff you should actually be watching:

    Armageddon
    Die Hard 
    Independence Day
    Gremlins
    Empire Strikes Back
    Star Trek II
    Terminator 1 & 2
    Alien, Aliens and Alien 3
    Prometheus 
    Batman Forever
    Indiana Jones OG Trilogy
    Jurassic Park
    Alita: Battle Angel
    Top Gun and Top Gun Maverick
    Masters of the Universe (1987)
    True Lies
    Dredd
    Naked Gun 1,2,3
    True Romance