Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lids on bottled water at the ground - Oi HENRY

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
I've had enough of this nonsense WHY do they insist on taking the tops of bloody bottles especially when selling to kids. My 11 year old went to get himself a bottle of water and came back minus the lid. I know it is trivial but fecking annoys me.

I could throw the god damned bottle with or with out the bloody lid what difference does it make.

And lo and behold he dropped it when we scored and spilt it all. At £1.65 extortionate price I want the bloody lid.

Comments

• Agreed its pretty pointless as a lid would not travel far also
    If you wanted to throw something a heavy £1.00 would be better or the bottle liek Ledge says
  • Take a lid in with you.
  • personally i think they should ban the players from using a ball - that thing can be lethal when booted at someone from the pitch
  • winds me up as well Arthur, especially as the stands never seem to get cleaned any more. Means your open bottle is amongst all the dust etc.

I always by a bottle in the newsagents before the game, then take the top off when walking in the ground. Interestingly, when i did it at Palace, they said to me that i didn't need to throw the top away as they let them in there.
  • I don't disagree but them's the rules. Safety Advisory Group meeting this week so will ask where the rule comes from but I'm pretty sure it is to lessen the risk of bottles being thrown.
  • i'd be more worried about a steak slice being thrown to be honest - think i;ve just about got my taste senses back after being subjected to 300 degree pieces of dog steak
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I don't disagree but them's the rules. Safety Advisory Group meeting this week so will ask where the rule comes from but I'm pretty sure it is to lessen the risk of bottles being thrown.

as i said, they are allowed to take them in at Palace so that might be worth bringing up. This would imply the rules are localised and not covered by general sporting events regulations.
  • Whilst in the O2 recently they took the tops off the bottles and were very apologetic about it.

Perhaps it's a Greenwich council thing?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I don't disagree but them's the rules. Safety Advisory Group meeting this week so will ask where the rule comes from but I'm pretty sure it is to lessen the risk of bottles being thrown.

as i said, they are allowed to take them in at Palace so that might be worth bringing up. This would imply the rules are localised and not covered by general sporting events regulations.

Thanks, didn't know that.
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]Whilst in the O2 recently they took the tops off the bottles and were very apologetic about it.

Perhaps it's a Greenwich council thing?

Quite likely as they are the licensing authority for all stadiums over 10,000 capacity within the borough. Typical UK organisiation that you have 3 or 4 regualatory bodies (Council, Football Licencising, Fire Brigade, etc) and all trying to get the hang of which set of rules to follow.

Have to say that the people from Greenwich Council I meet on the Safety group are very pro-Charlton and try and make things are straightforward as possible within the rules. Same with the Police. All down to Ketman Snr really.
  • cheers Henners.

I'll just do what AFKA does and take my own next time.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]cheers Henners.

I'll just do what AFKA does and take my own next time.

Oh he does does he? Sorry but I'm obliged to report this to the saftey officer and have him removed from the next game for carrying a dangerous lid : - )
  • I think I have asked our Safety officer John this before, apparently if the lid is on & liquid is inside you can throw the bottle much further & if it managed to hit a player say from the North Upper the result would be most unpleasant. Agreed it's a stupid rule, but then most rules are like the No smoking in the ground one :-)
  • The rule makes sense really, as Ketters says you can throw a full bottle further and faster with the lid on, making it a more dangerous missile. Better to let people throw brochurs on the pitch!

I just want to know why they can't sell bottled beer without the lids?
  • The first time I went to Wembley as a kid (so many years ago) I was hit on the back of the head by something dropped from above. I thought it was a stone or rock it hurt so much - in fact it was a kia-ora carton (remember those?) A bottle with the lid on could knock someone out if dropped from an upper tier to the lower tier. Without the lid, it would just make a few people wet. An annoying rule, perhaps, but understandable to me.
  • but bearing mind that zero are searched going in the home ends of the ground, if anyone was intent on taking some form of missile into the ground, they would do anyway.
  • a flask thrown from the west would hurt
  • sorry think that is bollox. I reckon you could throw one without a lid just as far with the force of it being thrown the liquid would stay in.

Has Safety office John actually tested this - no thought not.

As AFKA said I can't remember ever being searched at a home game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]sorry think that is bollox. I reckon you could throw one without a lid just as far with the force of it being thrown the liquid would stay in.
    like when you have a bucket of water and can spin it around without water coming out.

i used to be able to do two buckets in opposite directions - happy days
  • I know the laws an ass but there you go.

Ledge Have a go mate down the park, you can throw one much further with the lid on FACT.
  • edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]Has Safety office John actually tested this - no thought not.

Don't forget they'd need to test Coke, Diet Coke, 7up, diet 7up...........................

As you said ..... it's bollox.
  • Sponsored links:

• In the lower north they will ask to look in your bag, if you have one.

(As the inspector says- take a spare top)
  • i booted over a bottle of coke on saturday into a young lady's bag and she was not happy with me.
  • ketters going to do it tonight - you've challenged me now.

Will let you know tomorrow will get my son to film it on mobile LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]ketters going to do it tonight - you've challenged me now.

Will let you know tomorrow will get my son to film it on mobile LOL

LOL Remember to Use Water rather than coke as less volatile, also check for passing pedestrians.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]sorry think that is bollox. I reckon you could throw one without a lid just as far with the force of it being thrown the liquid would stay in.

Has Safety office John actually tested this - no thought not.

As AFKA said I can't remember ever being searched at a home game.

The club had to do a risk assessment for the clackers so I'm pretty sure there is one for bottles.

We're not searched but the arguement would be that we sold the bottle/weapon to you in the ground and so are responsible for any hazard it might cause where as your coins/mobile etc are down to you as an individual.
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i booted over a bottle of coke on saturday into a young lady's bag and she was not happy with me.

Well it's a poor chat up line to be honest, mate. Try "Do you come here often?" next time.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i booted over a bottle of coke on saturday into a young lady's bag and she was not happy with me.

if it had a top on, there wouldn't of been a problem !!

Yes, a closed bottle would be more dangerous than an open one, but its a ridiculous comparison when you can take things like flasks, stainless steel hipflasks and zippo lighters, coins etc into the ground.

There has never once been an incident since the return to the valley of a bottle being thrown onto the pitch. There have been coinds and lighters though.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]but bearing mind that zero are searched going in the home ends of the ground, if anyone was intent on taking some form of missile into the ground, they would do anyway.
    Some people wouldn't be intent on throwing a missle, but might be tempted to do so to vent anger, eg. at a controversial sending-off, if one was at hand.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i booted over a bottle of coke on saturday into a young lady's bag and she was not happy with me.

if it had a top on, there wouldn't of been a problem !!

Yes, a closed bottle would be more dangerous than an open one, but its a ridiculous comparison when you can take things like flasks, stainless steel hipflasks and zippo lighters, coins etc into the ground.

There has never once been an incident since the return to the valley of a bottle being thrown onto the pitch. There have been coinds and lighters though.

Don't disagree with you though a flask thrown from a sling made from a blanket would go a long way.

I'll see if I can get a fuller explanation on Wednesday at the SAG meeting.
  • edited September 2007
    i'm sure there are rules that govern why, all we are saying is a bit of common sense is all that's necessary.

We market are a family club, and the ground is very family orientated. No one wants to have to hold an open bottle of water, coke etc for up to two hours, let alone parents that have a couple of kids with them. You can't put them on the floor as the areas are dirty and there is a strong risk of them being knocked over by feet. If the reason is that they could be used as a missle in the heat of the moment, than as said, so could flasks, coins, lighters etc
  • Rules and common sense don't always go together I'm afraid. (cue rant about country going to the dogs, nanny state etc, etc)

I'll raise it at the meeting and try and get at least a fuller explanation of the thinking behind the rules.