Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It pains me to say it but, as a bunch of fans, we are

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
pretty crap when it comes to away support. 500 left out of a 1,500 allocation for Norwich. Boxing Day, short trip, nice away day, get away from the relatives = crap turnout.

Can't say it's up north on a Tuesday night. The team deserves better, in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    just after christmas
  • Options
    maybe some people want to spend time WITH their relatives Large
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]just after christmas

and 400 on Saturday ?. Ah, yes, just before Xmas.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    sorry that this is directed at you large, but this surely doesn't need a new thread..... there is a thread banging on about this already today....

everyone knows we're crap.

all those that complain about it should go, and all those that don't go should shut up. I know you go large, but no amount of moaning on this board is going to inspire people to go.

weekend just after xmas, money, millions of reasons why, just concentrate energies those that do go up there on supporting the team rather than moaning about those sat at home.
  • Options
    its Boxing Day.

A short trip is Selhurst, or Qpr, or Watford, or Colchester, not Norwich.

And still a week and a half to go. I'm convinced we'll sell the allocation.

I'm not going, boxing day is for family. I can nip down the valley for 3 hours, but not get away for 8 hours plus. I suspect many others are in the same position.
  • Options
    I cant go meself cos i'm not seeing my parents and nan on xmas day so spending time with them on boxing day, plus don't have a car so can't drive up there.

we wanted to go, but we're going to leicester instead because we couldn't convince my 86 year old nan to spend her boxing day in norwich in the cold or at home on her own. Sorry Large.
  • Options
    I'm down my Mums for Christmas Day, no way am I driving to Norwich on Boxing Day, I'll lie on the sofa eating Brussels Sprouts.

Im in Blackpool on Sat for the Christmas Tree Ball in the Tower Ballroom, so cant get down to Baggies Land.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

I'm not going, boxing day is for family. I can nip down the valley for 3 hours, but not get away for 8 hours plus. I suspect many others are in the same position.

i'm in that boat unfortunately(i hold my hands up that I AM a disgrace cos it's the wifes side of the family i'm seeing!!) but you're right large , it's just not good enough.... i mean we struggled to sell palace out ffs
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh FFS!

If it pains you to say it, don't say it. If you're going to slate our numbers of away fans at least get your facts straight - we've established that you're already at least 30% too low on your figure for Saturday!

If you don't go to away games yourself (or home games half the time for that matter) then you're not really in a position to dig out others. And now you're even knocking us for games that we DID sell out!!!

It's Boxing Day. I would love to go, I love Boxing Day football and always enjoy a trip to Carrow Road but it's NOT a short distance at Christmas time - if I don't get to my dad's Christmas do until 8 o' clock then he won't speak to me until March! I'm sure many others are in the same boat. If you ask me the fixtures computer should ensure that it throws out local games on Boxing Day, like it used to do.

I know you do get to pretty much all the games Large and that's to be applauded but all this moaning is doing my head in!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite] all this moaning is doing my head in!

sorry
    we're gonna win the league , pardew's better than curbs and our away support is terrific
    merry christmas;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it would be great if charlton could play a few of their away games with a full away following,but sadly with winter on it's way....
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    to be fair, in the past few seasons when we have sold out the allocation the atmosphere has been quieter with more in fighting because people weren't standing/sitting, they were singing the wrong things, they weren't getting behind the team, they were too tall, too short, too loud, too quiet, too late, going to the loo during the game, coming in late, leaving early, abusing the stewards, being too passive, showing passion, not showing enough passion, putting their feet on the seat in front, throwing bottle lids, kicking over bottles without lids, too busy eating pies, burning their mouths on pies, stuck at the turnstyles waiting for money back voucher, stuck on the train, stuck in traffic, stuck at home with the family, moaning about valley gold, moaning that there isn't a fairer away allocation for those that do travel as one game out of 200 over 5 seasons they might possibly have difficulty getting a ticket, too old, too young, too thin too fat,..... *deep breath*
  • Options
    I suspect its through police advice but the Boxing Day derbies generally dont seem to be around anymore.We've been quite fortunate in the past and have had some, mainly at home .As of the last 15 years we've only had to leave London 3 times , to Ipswich, Southend and Southampton.
  • Options
    suzisausage... quality lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]all this moaning is doing my head in!

sorry
    we're gonna win the league , pardew's better than curbs and our away support is terrific
    merry christmas;-)

Now you're just being silly!!

Seriously, this board is being taken over a bit by people with barely anything but moaning on their agenda - and that's a shame as generally it's a pretty fun place to skive off working.

Of course we all want to have a rant and a moan now and again and it'd be equally dull if every thread was a stupid one. To an extent I kind of agree that the away following is a little disappointing but polluting every thread with that fact is predictable, pointless and boring.

And yes, Curbs was a good manager but rueing his departure after every single game we don't pick up three points from is equally predictable, equally pointless and equally boring....and so on and so forth....

(And great post Suzi!).
  • Options
    come on guys , it's only banter ;-)

but how good is it when we play away and the whole end is sold out !
  • Options
    [/quote]Seriously, this board is being taken over a bit by people with barely anything but moaning on their agenda - and that's a shame as generally it's a pretty fun place to skive off working.[/quote]

Imagine if we were third from bottom, not third from top.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]come on guys , it's only banter ;-)

but how good is it when we play away and the whole end is sold out !

crap if norwich on st georges is anything to go by, boro away in the cup, colchester this season.... (tho more to the fact we were in a shed 4 deep)

i've been to quite a few sold out away games, and its often worse!

I remember going to west brom away on a tuesday night i think it was bloody freezing..... less people there, the more you can hear the songs being sung, and believe it or not, belt them out louder. I used to come back from away games deaf and with a sore throat from all the singing!
  • Options
    each to their own but i know i prefer it when the away end is sold out and to see a packed away end always looks better than a sparsely populated one
    we won the championship at blackburn with barely 1100 fans there and i'd loved us to have had 5k up there celebrating our magnificent season but there again it was a bank holiday, the traffic was bad, blackburns a long way, our recent form at the time wasn't great
  • Options
    Suzi is bang on the money! Its not about how many but who. I've been 2 many an away day wen its been the Killer Clan & one man & his dog & we've made more noise (the dog especially). Stop moaning about low turnouts & find something better a to talk about. In the Spanish league hardly anyone travels to away games! Oh & happy birthday to me! X
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Stop moaning about low turnouts & find something better a to talk about. In the Spanish league hardly anyone travels to away games! Oh & happy birthday to me! X

Indeed, in Spain, they don't confirm fixtures until a week in advance because TV takes until the last minute to decide what to show.

And happy birthday KBslittlesis!
  • Options
    I thank u Insp sir!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    Seriously, this board is being taken over a bit by people with barely anything but moaning on their agenda - and that's a shame as generally it's a pretty fun place to skive off working

Imagine if we were third from bottom, not third from top.[/quote][/quote]

Exactly!

What's our problem? This time last year, dear old Uncle Les was bumbling around hoping he could still be a manager, Amdy Faye & Marcus Bent were hiding in the team - and we were only not bottom because Watford were even more inept than we were .......!!

Everyone was praying for relegation and our chance to win the Championship.

Well, people got their 1st wish - and they are bang on course for their 2nd.

What's the problem?
  • Options
    large
    change the record f f s
  • Options
    I wonder whether there is any research by the club on this. We have had target 10000 and I believe a target 40000 is in place for home revenue.

I would be generally interested in the stats.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]large
    change the record f f s

It's in the family for them Ledge, don't think the counsellings is working
  • Options
    Changing the angle on this a little, as our away attendance is not something worth talking about.

Went on holiday once to Madeira, small island which comes under Portugal but is actually nowhere near Portugal. Now they had two footie teams there, C.S Maritimo and C.D. Nacional (where C Ronaldo started his winking career) they are both in the Portuguese Liga with teams such as Porto, now imagine flying a 100 or so miles for every away game barring one derby game. We should count ourself lucky....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]to be fair, in the past few seasons when we have sold out the allocation the atmosphere has been quieter with more in fighting because people weren't standing/sitting, they were singing the wrong things, they weren't getting behind the team, they were too tall, too short, too loud, too quiet, too late, going to the loo during the game, coming in late, leaving early, abusing the stewards, being too passive, showing passion, not showing enough passion, putting their feet on the seat in front, throwing bottle lids, kicking over bottles without lids, too busy eating pies, burning their mouths on pies, stuck at the turnstyles waiting for money back voucher, stuck on the train, stuck in traffic, stuck at home with the family, moaning about valley gold, moaning that there isn't a fairer away allocation for those that do travel as one game out of 200 over 5 seasons they might possibly have difficulty getting a ticket, too old, too young, too thin too fat,..... *deep breath*

Suzi, that is one of my most favourite posts we've ad on here. Give yourself a Wagon Wheel girl !!!
  • Options
    Yawn. KBslittlesis is spot on - it is quality not quantity. 500 giving it large is worth far more to the team than 2,000 moaning and shouting sit down. Cardiff I believe was a fine example.

Norwich by the way is not a short trip on Boxing Day with no trains unless you live Gt Yarmouth. Saying that I have family travelling up from Eastbourne to the game.
  • Options
    The suzisausage post was absolutely brilliant, i never moan i've been going too long, i usually have a beer and get over it.

My daughter and i will be going to Norwich away and this will cost about £80.00 if we win fine, if we lose it doesn't matter but we will enjoy the day.

I've been to many away games with 1 lewis coach... how's that for support.