Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Boxing Day 2003. Charlton 4 Chelsea 2

Comments

• Options
    What a team we had then. watching those clips brings it all back - cheers WSS!

(Also love the way all of the fans after the 4th goal are giving it the large!)
  • Options
    For Parker, read Sidwell. Both left at least a season too soon.
  • Options
    We had moved over here at the end of November. Watched it in a pub with Mrs Algarve and our mate Mikee. We have dream team competition over here where basically your outfielders have to score more then your goalkeeper, and we split the season into two halves. The boxing day games were the last in the first half. Mikee was top of the league and had Chelsea's goalkeeper. The four goals meant he dropped from 1st to 3rd, and missed out on about 1000 eruos. Our cheers as the goals flew in were followed by "oh... sorry mate" as poor old Mikee saw his prize ebbing away...
  • Options
    Watching those clips shows how good that team was. 2002, 2003 and 2004 easily contained the best Charlton squad I have seen in forty-two years. God how I miss them now!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Highest standard we have reached in decades. We played a very very good team off the park. The World was watching that day had calls from Thailand and all over saying they didnt believe we could play that well. I suspect neither did we!

Sad to say i dont believe we will ever get back to that standard again. If If If IF Parker had stayed till the end of that season he would have gone to World Cup and we would have gone to Europe im sure of that.

Europe many only be a few mins by train these days but its a life time away for us.

I agree 100% with that GH, spot on mate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]that was one of my all time highs of following charlton , games like that don't come along too often and i'd take one of them victories over anything we'll ever achieve in the championship league one.....

bumped for Simon E
  • Options
    Similarly to the 4-2 against Arsenal in 2001, when it became 4-2, I was very nervous about the other side having a chance of a comeback! Watched this game in a bar in Lanzarote, great victory and that season we did have a really good squad. The year after Everton got 4th, personally I think if we had kept Parker we would have made a real fight of it. Liverpool that year who got 4th were very inconsistent as were 5th place Newcastle, a once in a lifetime opportunity missed I feel
  • Options
    Going to bed crying now...
  • Options
    I may put on my VHS Addicks Go Fourth or 2003/2004 season review!
  • Options
    What a fantastic day !! Pregnant daughter & son in law were watching at our house as didn't have Sky at the time.

When we arrived home she admitted she'd promised to name the baby Hermann if he scored !

Chickened out though unless William (Billy ) is the English version .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jamal campbell-ryce on the bench.

What was curbs thinking?
  • Options
    Was on a family break at Center Parcs at the time.
    Walked into the bar and watched it on the Sky big screen with my son, surrounded by about 25 blues.
    God it was sweet.
    And we beat Spurs at the Lane a few days after.
  • Options
    Big Jace when he was good.

How did he come to turn to **** ? - even after us, at Boro and Soton he was the same.
  • Options
    I had 4-2 at 100/1 and Herman to score 1st at I think 40/1.

£2 on each.

Shame I didn't do it as a double.

A truely fantastic day
  • Options
    Great day, remember telling blues fans in the rising sun eltham ythat we would beat them, put a tenner on herman to score first with blsq and got a 15 pound free bet for signing upo lumped it all on herm and won 1k paid half for the mrs enagagement ring. Cheers herm always have a soft spot for him now!
  • Options
    Something to warm the cockles from seven years ago.

Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Great memories. I sent a text to a Chelsea supporting friend just before kickoff saying we'd whup them... I was joking, but what a result!!! I think my mate had the last laugh.
  • Options
    Anyone got a (working) link to the goals from this game? The one on the first page doesn't work any more and I've had no joy searching for it on YouTube.

Was telling my son about this earlier. Don't think he quite believes that we played Chelsea, let alone beat them!
  • Options
    The day we peaked as a football club...may only be 7 years ago, but we won't see a side or a performance like that again for a very very long time.
  • Options
    Took a chelsea fan in the home in with me for this, he left after an hour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not readback if I commented earlier, but that was the biggest buzz I can probably remember from a home game. Went back to my mums with my missus and brother and my family had been through our wardrobes and all my nans grandad and parents were sitting there in different charlton replica shirts throough the years. Have a fantastic, happy family photo of all of us charlton shirts.

One of my nans has sadly left us since and this is one of my fondest memories of us all, despite its trivial nature. Always remember that day.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Off_it, all four of our goals are included in this video from the 2:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAox_PpL2LU&feature=related
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    This was the high water mark of my 41 (gulp) years of following the Addicks, we followed it up by going to Spurs a couple of days later and looking the part up there as well. I have that third goal imprinted on my brain forever more, Di Canio running at Terry then rolling the ball gently across the goal, a "whats he doing?" moment, until we noticed JJ standing under the crossbar preparing to apply the final touch. Sheer Magic.
  • Options
    I'll never forget the Bromley flag in the Chelsea end, that made the victory that little bit sweeter!
  • Options
    Was there but dont really remember it, would have been about 10/11 tho
  • Options
    That is the 2nd to last game I have seen Charlton play live (the other was a 2-2 draw with Watford a couple of seasons ago in the championship). Its the highlight of me watching Charlton and made my Xmas holiday....good times
  • Options
    was it really ONLY 7 years ago?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]Off_it, all four of our goals are included in this video from the 2:00 mark:

Oh, what memories. I'm a fully grown man but it makes me sad when I revisit videos like that. If only we could turn back the clock.
  • Options
    What a great time to remind me of an enormous highlight, along with the Play Off Final. I will never forget the way Paulo turned John Terry inside out to lay on one of the goals. Scott Parker certainly tore us apart by leaving, but how many of us would have turned the money down ? In fact he also ruined his own International career because he quickly got injured and never made it at Chelsea, however I don't like to look back in anger so to speak. Today I look forward, aware that if things are well set up we could one day be talking about something even bigger. Onwards and upwards !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]Off_it, all four of our goals are included in this video from the 2:00 mark:

Thanks for that link - the video is fantastic. Brings a tear to the eye. So many amazing memories. And Johnny Robinson in the last minute against United to top it off. Brilliant.