Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Boxing Day 2003. Charlton 4 Chelsea 2

124»

Comments

• Options
    Has John Terry managed to untangle himself after Di Canio turned him this way and that to lay on the third goal?
  • Options
    To be fair that Chelsea team were overrated. What did any of them go on to do? .....

Great days. Still thought we would lose when Chelsea scored their second.
  • Options
    I
    MrOneLung said:

To be fair that Chelsea team were overrated. What did any of them go on to do? .....

Great days. Still thought we would lose when Chelsea scored their second.

I was confident enough-ish we'd get a point......
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Best thing about that game was the goal when our 35 year old (or so) Di Canio easily turned the apparent best defender in the PL John Terry, to put a ball in for JJ so he could tap into an empty net.

Class.

Defiantly one of my favourite Charlton games.

JT was certainly considered one of the best CB in the Prem but not then. I think his partner on the day, although at the end of his career may still have held that title. Terry reached his peak in the first Mourinho era.
  • Options
    I was 8 years old when this game happened. I'd had a season ticket since I was five! I'd always enjoyed going along for the day out and the atmosphere and seeing my friends! But this is the first game that I remember for the football! It's the first time I genuinely was engrossed by what went on on the pitch! And what a performance it was! I've been hooked ever since!
  • Options
    I was 17 at the time and it just felt like a real marker was placed that day, sadly I didn't realise that marker was the peak, best bit of it all was going round my friends friend's house and seeing a Chelsea embroidered mirror with a crack in it. Felt very apt! 
  • Options
    My Dad is a Chelsea fan and I took him to the game for his Christmas present…..best ever🤣
  • Options
    Brilliant day and one of my best Boxing day memories. That's the best I've ever seen us play.
  • Options

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev, Perry, Fortune, Hreidarsson, Holland, Parker, Euell, Stuart (Konchesky 77), Di Canio (Powell 87), Johansson. Subs not used: Royce, Fish, Campbell-Ryce.
    Booked: Parker.

Chelsea: Cudicini, Johnson, Terry, Desailly, Bridge, Gronkjaer (Gudjohnsen 45), Lampard (Geremi 65), Makelele, Cole (Gallas 82), Hasselbaink, Mutu. Subs not used: Sullivan, Melchiot.
    Booked: Gronkjaer.

Attendance: 26,768.

Referee: G Poll (Hertfordshire).
    Great Charlton team … and look at that Chelsea squad … we scored four against them!!

stunning day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2021
    Charlton team at their pinnacle under Curbs. It was a high point of the club. Charlton were looking set for Europe.
  • Options
    vff said:
    For the return fixture at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea turned their pitch into a beach and 'forgot' to tell Charlton. Chelsea had the correct footwear and ran out 4-1 winners.
    The return game at Stamford Bridge was a 1-0 defeat. The game you are referring to was the 2002/2003 season
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2021
    shirty5 said:
    vff said:
    For the return fixture at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea turned their pitch into a beach and 'forgot' to tell Charlton. Chelsea had the correct footwear and ran out 4-1 winners.
    The return game at Stamford Bridge was a 1-0 defeat. The game you are referring to was the 2002/2003 season
    Bleedin' ell that was quick - I only left that up there for 2 mins before correcting  :wink:  (3rd minute was correcting and reposting) if only Charlton strikers were as clinical and pounced on errors from opposition defenders infront of goal, as Charlton Lifers on mistakes in posts - Charlton would be out of sight top of the league.  
    Back to the thread - Top Charlton team - the pinnacle team from Curbs and the club in recent history.

• Options
    vff said:
    shirty5 said:
    vff said:
    Bleedin' ell that was quick - I only left that up there for 2 mins before correcting  :wink:  (3rd minute was correcting and reposting) if only Charlton strikers were as clinical infront of goal on picking up on oppositon mistakes in the penalty area as Charlton Lifers on mistakes in posts - Charlton would be out of sight top of the league.  
    Back to the thread - Top Charlton team - the pinnacle team from Curbs and the club in recent history.

Not my problem, I’m on the ball
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2021
    shirty5 said:
    vff said:
    shirty5 said:
    vff said:
    Bleedin' ell that was quick - I only left that up there for 2 mins before correcting  :wink:  (3rd minute was correcting and reposting) if only Charlton strikers were as clinical infront of goal on picking up on oppositon mistakes in the penalty area as Charlton Lifers on mistakes in posts - Charlton would be out of sight top of the league.  

Not my problem, I’m on the ball

Christ on a bike - I was joking. Happy Christmas to you !!!
    Anyway back to the great game.....
  • Options
    I
    To be fair that Chelsea team were overrated. What did any of them go on to do? ..... Great days. Still thought we would lose when Chelsea scored their second.
    I was confident enough-ish we'd get a point......
    Even when we missed what could have been a fifth.
  • Options
    I do also think the most remarkable thing about this was that we were fresh enough to go to Spurs and win on the 28th
  • Options

Extended highlights (25 minutes). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTP52BiwwbM

Only 38 views so far (only posted Aug 21). Russian commentary I think. 

Some bloodcurdling challenges but all given/accepted in a genuine spirit. G.Poll seems to have had a good game. (G.Barber the year before was a disgrace - Konch sent off.) The crowd was absolutely rocking. The game has changed over the 18 years since, in some respects not for the better, sadly.

• Options
    Spoke to and got the autograph of Di Canio prior to the game, and without prompting he said they were going to win the game and the players were well up for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Some bloodcurdling challenges but all given/accepted in a genuine spirit. G.Poll seems to have had a good game. (G.Barber the year before was a disgrace - Konch sent off.) The crowd was absolutely rocking. The game has changed over the 18 years since, in some respects not for the better, sadly.

The day Roman’s bodyguards showed up packing heat. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And it was this game that convinced Chelsea to buy Parker off of us, with the sole aim of knocking out our season and buying the final champions league spot.
  • Options
    Had HH for the first goal that day always dangerous at corners and 33/1 from memory 
  • Options

Well it was a cold day to be fair 
  • Options
    This was this was the peak, wasn’t it? 

Been a couple of decent twists since but overall been a steam flume of shiteness 
    As I said earlier in the thread, all downhill since then.
  • Options
    This was this was the peak, wasn’t it? 

Been a couple of decent twists since but overall been a steam flume of shiteness 
    We thankfully didn’t know we’d reached our zenith so we could still dream. 

But in less than 20 years to go from that to the start of this season and fearing relegation for the first time to the lowest tier is a frightening drop. 

Doubt we will ever achieve those heights again … but never say never.  
  • Options
    Is there an argument that winning the game in the manner we did (spanked em) was the catalyst for our demise?

Butterfly effect of Abramovich seeing Parker nullify his millionaire midfield and then buying him and getting Curbs to think he'd had enough after  what unfolded as a result.

Then everything that followed. 

Wonder if our world would be very different had we lost or ground out a 1-1 that day.
  • Options

To be remembered also was RA's further blow - in the summer of 2004 CAFC were very close to signing Mateja Kezman from PSV but no, Chelsea had to have him. It would have been a masterstroke if we could have completed the deal but RA had to see to it that we were put firmly in our place, Kezman achieved very little in his short time at Chelsea, and we ended up with Francis Jeffers.
  • Options

That was a great start to the day. My favourite game at The Valley. I can remember Di Canio being unplayable that day.