Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Boxing Day 2003. Charlton 4 Chelsea 2

Comments

• Options
    Amazing days. Superb. I want the ground filled out like that again. I wish I was going to that game again tomorrow...

I remember discussing this with people at the time, but for a long while we had arguably the strongest central midfield in the premiership bar none, such that our midfield consisted of 4 central midfielders and no wingers. This was the case for this Chelsea game and we didn't even have Jensen involved!
  • Options
    There is a feature on this game in The Sun today with Matt Holland. Worth a read. The beginning of the end for this club as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    up there as one of my favourite home games ever...
  • Options
    a little debate....?

was parkers performance in this game better then mendonca's all round performance in the play-off final?
  • Options
    good debate enjoyed that
  • Options
    Lol,

it is an interesting question to be fair. Parker was immense that day, but so too were many others around him. It was the perfect team performance. On Parker's side, he was competing against Makalele and Lampard, world class level opponents, and though memory emphasises the positives, he gave them the run around.

Mendonca pulled together in his game the perfect performance from his perspective; three classic Mendonca goals on the biggest of stages.

Very hard to compare to be honest. I don't feel guilty highlighting Mendonca for the Wembley game because i actually don't think too many others players stood out with excelled performances. It was the occassion and the way the game panned out which was memorable, not the other individual performances. For the Chelsea game, it wasn't just about Parker, it was the whole 11, so in comparison i say Mendonca wins this one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]good debate enjoyed that

That's brilliant - well played!
  • Options
    What's next Gaz Dimbleby?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]No.
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]good debate enjoyed that

Haha sorry but Mendonca was superb and it is highly unlikely we would have got anything from that game without him. That third goal at Wembley was just ridiculous.

The Chelsea game was more of a team performance and I have to say, Di Canio was also excellent that day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The peak?
  • Options

The peak?

I'd say, yes this was the peak (apart from 1947 winning the cup) and the last highlight from that era was the win at Chelsea in the League Cup.
  • Options
    Dont worry, we will do it again next year.

Maybe.

Well I can dream can't I?

• Options
    Wow, that feels like a lifetime ago. Cant believe I had 10 yrs of season tickets upto that point and since then 2 seasons of refusing to even look at the scores... followed by a renewed love started by Chris Powell.
  • Options
    Great day dont think the score line reflected how well we played tbis day

We deserved more thabf a 2 goal win
  • Options
    My best mate had just died a month or so earlier, it was my first game back after his passing. I've never experienced a bigger range of emotions than on that day. Football seemed so futile in comparison, but then that game happened, and it was a bizarre feeling of elation during a dark, dark winter. Will never forget it.

If leaving the valley was the nadir of modern day Charlton, this was the peak after 20 years of recovery. If we ever get back there, may we never forget ourselves as many fans did in the months and seasons after this.
  • Options
    Best thing about that game was the goal when our 35 year old (or so) Di Canio easily turned the apparent best defender in the PL John Terry, to put a ball in for JJ so he could tap into an empty net.

Class.

Defiantly one of my favourite Charlton games.
  • Options
    It was a magical time - we had sat in the top 4 for several weeks.
    However, Chelsea's reaction was swift and brutal - they tapped up and bought our best player and stuck him in the stands to contemplate and cream himself over his bank balance.
    Meanwhile they ensured they got that champions league spot at our expense
  • Options
    10 years ago...
  • Options
    I spoke to Di-Canio before the game and he said that they were all in the mood to win this game....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where have the last 10 years of my life gone...
  • Options

Where have the last 10 years of my life gone...

Eating? :D
  • Options
    and 12 years on, how far have we fallen?
  • Options

and 12 years on, how far have we fallen?

That's a lifetime away from ever happening again
  • Options
    All downhill from there.
  • Options
    those were the days !!
  • Options
    edited December 2015

All downhill from there.

Agreed. Parker destroyed Makelele, Abramovich didn't like it and that was the end of that.
  • Options
    Probably the greatest performance by a Charlton team ever. 4 2 flattered them big time. A great team performance with the best midfield player in the country at that time at his best. What a shame that in a few weeks time greed would effectively make him a nobody.
  • Options
    Indeed a memorable day for all Addicks.

Thinking back to that day brings tears to my eyes when I consider how our fortunes have changed in the intervening 12 years. That was a team with the true Charlton spirit playing for their manager until they dropped. If only we had a time machine....

• Options
    What a wonderful day that was, cannot see anything like that happening again under our current owner.