Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Borat Movie

Comments

• Options
    Should re-name it BORE-AT , nowhere near as good as the first  . A bit cringe to be honest  .
  • Options
    Generally never LOL but this film made me a couple of times. I enjoyed it. In general I find people over think films. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as the first one, but it was never going to be.

It was some light relief for a bit in a year that's been totally shit.
    I enjoyed it. Not a great look for America though. The actress who played his daughter deserves an Oscar. What a slimeball Rudy Giuliani is. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Enjoyed it but found it a bit predictable and tired.   The star of the show was the actress who played his daughter.  She is an absolute sort in real life.

Perhaps the sad thing is that the shock factor has eroded since the first film in that these days the redneck world view and appalling outlook of the politicians and targets is very much the norm now and we're no longer shocked by it.  Sad indictment of where we are in a way in that sense.

Think Cohen was an utter twat for the bit with the elderly holocaust survivor in the synagogue as subsequently read she thought it was for a serious documentary and her family are now suing him as she died recently. 

Big fan of Cohen and think he is a very versatile actor beyond his hilarious range of comedy characters and his performance in The Spy was brilliant.
    Check out The Trial of the Chicago 7,hes great in that yoo

Cheers mate on the Netflix list
  • Options
    Should re-name it BORE-AT , nowhere near as good as the first  . A bit cringe to be honest  .

Borat 2 is a million times more challenging to turn into a good film for a lot of reasons.

Credit where credit is due.

Lot of obstacles they had to overturn. 

1. Borat is now recognised and his character is famous.

2. Pandemic

3. Smart phone social media era. It won't help to keep things a secret and the filming

Probably other stuff 
  • Options

He's donated $100,000 to a church community that he duped during the movie.  Fair play to him for that.

I'm sure he donated $1m to a Syrian refugee charity as well a couple of years back.

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    But is it as good as Grimsby? 
    They must have weighed Mark Strong out to get him involved in that pile of shit.
  • Options
    Just googled the sort...  IF only!
  • Options
    Grimsby wasn't his best, but the elephant scene made it worth watching. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enjoyed it but found it a bit predictable and tired.   The star of the show was the actress who played his daughter.  She is an absolute sort in real life.

Perhaps the sad thing is that the shock factor has eroded since the first film in that these days the redneck world view and appalling outlook of the politicians and targets is very much the norm now and we're no longer shocked by it.  Sad indictment of where we are in a way in that sense.

Think Cohen was an utter twat for the bit with the elderly holocaust survivor in the synagogue as subsequently read she thought it was for a serious documentary and her family are now suing him as she died recently. 

Big fan of Cohen and think he is a very versatile actor beyond his hilarious range of comedy characters and his performance in The Spy was brilliant.
    That case got chucked out of court. He ended up telling the women after they finished filming that he was an actor (he never does that) and that he felt horribly guilty about it. The family found out she was in the new borat movie (with zero context) and tried to get her appearance cut from the movie, when she was one of the shining lights of hope in it. 
    and the crew filmed her being told. the lawsuit never had a chance

great film, I wasn't expecting much, as there's no way it could be as good as the original,  but it had some really good moments

Giuliani really did not come out of it well
  • Options
    Hahaha....I thought Grimsby was hilarious in parts! Although I know it divided opinion a little. Am looking forward to watching the new Borat, although I'm adjusting my expectations accordingly 😃 
  • Options
    I feel Borat 2 will be an important cultural artefact to look back on regarding 2020.  It captures the mood in America, the complete and utter rejection of COVID-19 precautions in middle America and social media culture (the instagram girl).  Not as laugh out loud as the original, but I am very pleased they made it
  • Options
    The Republican couple of mates that randomly allowed Borat to stay at their house just because he casually asked if he could.

Must have been a lot more to that and it was set up somehow.

Has to be a mountain of deleted scenes.
  • Options
    Watched it tonight. Not as good as the first but still bloody funny 
  • Options
    Had a few funny moments but had lost the originality (no surprise) of the first one. America doesn’t come out of it well, especially Giulianni. 
  • Options
    Just watched it. A few highs and a couple of lows. There’s a comment earlier in the thread about how Americans are all crazy - Cohen has picked on a few middle Americans, and made them look silly. Really, they’re bamboozled by the whole affair and either playing along (the power/ pressure of a camera crew shouldn’t be underestimated) or plainly dumbfounded. It’s rather disingenuous. And it’s all surface stuff - what I found really interesting was the way the two red necks treated him - really fucking well. But they’re pretty much written off as Trump-supporting idiots because they don’t know any better. 

Borat isn’t about helping us understand why, it’s about making people look stupid and feel awkward. It’d be more impressive if Cohen attempted to do more than that, but hey, he makes people laugh. 

That all said, the scripted stuff was pretty funny, and his daughter was brilliantly played. 

As for the Giuliani stuff - an attractive young (but clearly 20-something) lady flirted with him consistently, invited him into her bedroom for a drink and then fiddled with his microphone around his crotch. Rudy is an absolute scumbag, and he was sleazy as anything. But he’s a single man being entrapped by an attractive woman, and actually did appear to be tucking his shirt in (who knows what might have happened if he hadn’t been interrupted) - frankly I was disappointed that he didn’t come across as badly as the news stories implied. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched it. A few highs and a couple of lows. There’s a comment earlier in the thread about how Americans are all crazy - Cohen has picked on a few middle Americans, and made them look silly. Really, they’re bamboozled by the whole affair and either playing along (the power/ pressure of a camera crew shouldn’t be underestimated) or plainly dumbfounded. It’s rather disingenuous. And it’s all surface stuff - what I found really interesting was the way the two red necks treated him - really fucking well. But they’re pretty much written off as Trump-supporting idiots because they don’t know any better. 

Borat isn’t about helping us understand why, it’s about making people look stupid and feel awkward. It’d be more impressive if Cohen attempted to do more than that, but hey, he makes people laugh. 

That all said, the scripted stuff was pretty funny, and his daughter was brilliantly played. 

As for the Giuliani stuff - an attractive young (but clearly 20-something) lady flirted with him consistently, invited him into her bedroom for a drink and then fiddled with his microphone around his crotch. Rudy is an absolute scumbag, and he was sleazy as anything. But he’s a single man being entrapped by an attractive woman, and actually did appear to be tucking his shirt in (who knows what might have happened if he hadn’t been interrupted) - frankly I was disappointed that he didn’t come across as badly as the news stories implied. 
     Echo that about Giuliani. It was a huge set up and he didn't appear to be instigating anything.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    The Republican couple of mates that randomly allowed Borat to stay at their house just because he casually asked if he could.

Must have been a lot more to that and it was set up somehow.

Has to be a mountain of deleted scenes.
    he spent 5 whole days in character as borat, SBC said it was the toughest part of the shoot.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:

I disagree a little. As you say, the two rednecks seemed like decent blokes, and we do need to understand how people like them can be influenced and manipulated into such ridiculous theories of QAnon. Whilst it didn't provide answers, it provided an insight.

I agree that the Giuliani scene was a bit of a honey trap. It didn't bother me because I think he is a total sleazeball but maybe it was a bit questionable.

Cohen has no fear about his comedy. Sometimes he may cross lines, but personally I find this comedy the best when it comes off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched it. A few highs and a couple of lows. There’s a comment earlier in the thread about how Americans are all crazy - Cohen has picked on a few middle Americans, and made them look silly. Really, they’re bamboozled by the whole affair and either playing along (the power/ pressure of a camera crew shouldn’t be underestimated) or plainly dumbfounded. It’s rather disingenuous. And it’s all surface stuff - what I found really interesting was the way the two red necks treated him - really fucking well. But they’re pretty much written off as Trump-supporting idiots because they don’t know any better

That's a strange interpretation. The overwhelming feeling I got from the film was that it was showing both sides of these guys; they let him in their house, put up with his ridiculous shenanigans, helped him find and then speak to his daughter, and even educated him on the rights women have in society. I think they were actually portrayed quite sympathetically, they are just a couple of lonely outsiders who have been drawn into a dangerous subculture to belong, but they are fundamentally decent people. If Cohen wasn't trying to get that across then he wouldn't have included all the scenes of them putting up with and helping him, he just would have shown the 'Hilary Clinton drinks children's blood' stuff. It think he handled that aspect quite well in the film, and there's some good interviews where he talks about them in relatively positive terms.
    I mostly agree with you on the Giuliani stuff, I think the media have focused on the wrong thing. When she invited him back to her room - and he's clearly tucking in his shirt - it's not completely ridiculous that he'd he'd agree to go with her. The bit where I really didn't like him is that she starts off the interview telling him she's a huge fan, and that she's really nervous. Straight away he becomes touchy-feely with her and goes from 0-creepy in seconds. As soon as he's established a power dynamic over her he becomes incredibly sleazy and I felt way more uncomfortable watching the interview than anything that happened afterwards. He didn't do anything illegal, but the media would have been better off focusing on 'look how quickly this old creep starts pawing at this young woman when he realises he might have some power over her' than 'look, he's on a hotel bed! We can't see his hands!'
    That's fair - I think Muttley did a better job of explaining what I was trying to say! 
  • Options
    Watched first ten minutes and turned it off. Didn’t smile once, let alone laugh.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched it. A few highs and a couple of lows. There’s a comment earlier in the thread about how Americans are all crazy - Cohen has picked on a few middle Americans, and made them look silly. Really, they’re bamboozled by the whole affair and either playing along (the power/ pressure of a camera crew shouldn’t be underestimated) or plainly dumbfounded. It’s rather disingenuous. And it’s all surface stuff - what I found really interesting was the way the two red necks treated him - really fucking well. But they’re pretty much written off as Trump-supporting idiots because they don’t know any better

That's a strange interpretation. The overwhelming feeling I got from the film was that it was showing both sides of these guys; they let him in their house, put up with his ridiculous shenanigans, helped him find and then speak to his daughter, and even educated him on the rights women have in society. I think they were actually portrayed quite sympathetically, they are just a couple of lonely outsiders who have been drawn into a dangerous subculture to belong, but they are fundamentally decent people. If Cohen wasn't trying to get that across then he wouldn't have included all the scenes of them putting up with and helping him, he just would have shown the 'Hilary Clinton drinks children's blood' stuff. It think he handled that aspect quite well in the film, and there's some good interviews where he talks about them in relatively positive terms.
    I mostly agree with you on the Giuliani stuff, I think the media have focused on the wrong thing. When she invited him back to her room - and he's clearly tucking in his shirt - it's not completely ridiculous that he'd he'd agree to go with her. The bit where I really didn't like him is that she starts off the interview telling him she's a huge fan, and that she's really nervous. Straight away he becomes touchy-feely with her and goes from 0-creepy in seconds. As soon as he's established a power dynamic over her he becomes incredibly sleazy and I felt way more uncomfortable watching the interview than anything that happened afterwards. He didn't do anything illegal, but the media would have been better off focusing on 'look how quickly this old creep starts pawing at this young woman when he realises he might have some power over her' than 'look, he's on a hotel bed! We can't see his hands!'

Agree with that.

The people that allowed Borat to stay over weren't bad. They were at least friendly on a personal level.

American culture just is what it is. 

I remember being in Vagas in 2017. Got a taxi to a shooting range...the driver looked like dog the bounty hunter but seemed alright and friendly. Just had a good chat.

It was my mistake to bring up the subject that is "politics".

The conversation then abruptly switched and he got a bit one dimensional angry in surprising support for president Donald Trump. 

I obviously pretended I didn't have an opinion on the subject as I fear I would have been on the recieving end of some bloke shouting in my face about how evil Obama is. 

I accidentally left my phone in the taxi and it was a massive pain and obviously worried I weren't going to get it back.

He returned it to the shooting range about an hour later and it wasn't exactly just round the corner. Decent thing to do.

Moral of the story is:

A republican trump supporter from vagas might voluntarily return your phone if it drops out your pocket in a taxi before you get out.
  • Options
    I took my nephew on his first trip to NY in the mid 2,000's......

His first real interaction with someone outside of the airport was with our (as we found out) - Kurdish taxi driver...who sounded remarkably Borat like.

After the usual pleasantries where he discovered we were from London.....he asked......"Do you know Tony Blair? I think he is c*nt and I would cut his neck with saw".

We couldn't really disagree and we still laugh about that taxi journey today.
  • Options
    I really don’t think Giuliani was tucking his shirt in!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I really don’t think Giuliani was tucking his shirt in!
    Agreed 
  • Options
    I loved it. However, I'm incredibly immature!!!!
  • Options
    I took my nephew on his first trip to NY in the mid 2,000's......

His first real interaction with someone outside of the airport was with our (as we found out) - Kurdish taxi driver...who sounded remarkably Borat like.

After the usual pleasantries where he discovered we were from London.....he asked......"Do you know Tony Blair? I think he is c*nt and I would cut his neck with saw".

We couldn't really disagree and we still laugh about that taxi journey today.
    So you had a laugh with a would be terrorist. nice
  • Options
    Watched first ten minutes and turned it off. Didn’t smile once, let alone laugh.
    It gets good in the 11th minute