Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Horse & groom pub no more.

edited January 2008 in Not Sports Related
Boarded up,the pub signs have Now been taken down,just thought i'd let peeps know.

Comments

• Options
    Another one bites the dust.
    I just cannot see how most local pubs will survive, the smoking ban is killing them off.
  • Options
    I saw it was boarded-up at the weekend - I just presumed it was going to be a long-term re-fit and that it'd be ready for the new season...
  • Options
    many a good day and night spent in there
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    don't know if anyone knows the Oak management on here but it beggars belief what is going on...

how much money did they waste doing a pub up to close it less than 6 months later - who wrote their business plan?

and according to Oak regulars that's gone backwards with its extension as well,

goodbyeHorse!
  • Options
    the oak has gone backwards since they took it over , that sign they put up moaning about moaners is a step too far .

Quite happy to drink in the bugle pre match now
  • Options
    very much approaching the time where the Anti Gallican needs to be reclaimed by Charlton fans. Its big, refurbished, and close to the ground. So we hand it over to away fans.....

Time to take it back and make the aways stop off in Greenwich if they want a drink
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]very much approaching the time where the Anti Gallican needs to be reclaimed by Charlton fans. Its big, refurbished, and close to the ground. So we hand it over to away fans.....

Time to take it back and make the aways stop off in Greenwich if they want a drink

sounds like a plan man, we defo need another pub down the bottom there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]very much approaching the time where the Anti Gallican needs to be reclaimed by Charlton fans. Its big, refurbished, and close to the ground. So we hand it over to away fans.....

It's by far the best pub in Charlton.
  • Options
    So when does operation anti start.....Palarse at home?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]So when does operation anti start.....Palarse at home?
    oh yes!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bloke called john manages the pub and is a charlton fan, he stands up in the north upper.

I was talkin to him the other day and he said that charlton fans are more than welcome in there after the game as most away fans (apart from the london sides) hit the road back quite quickly.

i dunno what his thoughts would be about before the game, might be down to the landlord and i wonder if the old bill would have anything to say on the matter
  • Options
    Agreed with H&C gone the oak o small the Anti could be a option and its pretty big inside
  • Options
    I go into the Antigallictan quite a bit,and theres always a healthy Charlton presence.
  • Options
    Was talking to Clive who runs the Oak by all accounts the H&G has been sold to a private developer.
    Agree with comments re the Anti however i cant see the ob having this and lets face it if it became a charlton strong hold the arrests at charlton would be on the up due to home fans bumping into away fans near the station in my opinion.
    However on the other hand loads drink in the con club and liberal club so maybe it would be a good idea
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]However on the other hand loads drink in the con club and liberal club so maybe it would be a good idea
    Used to go downstairs in the con club every week with my old man and his mates but i think they have started charging a fee or something from what i gather. only a couple of quid i think.

He is quite tempted to wander up to The Bugle but i think he is too lazy plus i don't want him meeting the reprobates i hang around with on matchdays.
  • Options
    Bugle i like as well. I know we have bars in the ground etc however as i have said on here before i think it would be great if we could build someting like the old Valley club at the far side of the car park
  • Options
    Surely if we wanted to go in the Anitgallican we could and then the OB would just have to tell aways to go elsewhere?
  • Options
    Arsenal has the same kind of thing, they lost one of there pubs to away fans and reclaimed it, the reality is, if the fans want to go in there we can, how many times have we all been to away grounds and had to run the gauntlet of home fans outside pubs near the station, we are a nice club, nice pub out the station, then we will give you a nice away end, no wonder clubs like coming to our place, probably better treated at ours than at there own club..........still mmaintain though with all the space behind the West stand the club could build a massive clubhouse for match days only, season ticket holders, or red card members, and make a fortune,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite] then we will give you a nice away end

You sure? It's by far the worst stand in the stadium, with 2 great big pylons in the way of some of the seats.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite] with all the space behind the West stand the club could build a massive clubhouse for match days only, season ticket holders, or red card members, and make a fortune,
    Where would the cars park?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have made some tentative enquiries about the best way to reclaim the Anti although I would imagine a statement of intent would be to turn up on Friday Feb 8th at 3.00pm for an early start! Anyone else fancy it ?
  • Options
    Count me in Ketman
  • Options
    See you there
  • Options
    never one to drink in the Horse - craphola but sad to lose it for match day. where are all those that drank there on match day now drinking???

i saw leaburn... they didnt really do the horse up did they? they just painted all the walls white... looked like a doctors surgery and when the oak reopened they handed the keys back. i reckon the plan was to keep both on but the oak was closed much longer than thought and no one drank in the horse while waiting... the repercussions of which the regulars in the Oak are still feeling now.

doom and gloom.
  • Options
    Like Buckshee said, that sign up in the Oak berating people for complaining really is the sign of a badly-run boozer.
  • Options
    I went in the Oak for the first time since the re-fit one (non-match) evening last week. Seemed quite busy compared to what I remember - people were watching Chelsea on TV - but I now see what people mean.

Looks half finished, a bit bland and soulless.

I'll stick to the formica tables (in both senses) of the liberal club on match days. At least it's not as rammed as in previous years so you can get a seat and be served in good time. Shame that there is no SKY Sports.

Kets, what did you "contact" at the club have to say about re-claiming the Anti-frenchman?
  • Options
    well i think that was part of the problem Curb_it... their view of "doing the horse up" was painting all the walls purple and white and buying about 10 plasma screen tv's, it was always going to end in tears, much better in its non-legit. days

well as an exile who only gets to the home games once in a while, i've taken my custom down the woolwich road (not sure on the name). not sure why, it's nothing special, besides it's moody sky. can't really be bothered to go up the hill to the village and then come down again. wanting to try the conservative club but from any regulars on here, what's the deal with this "fee" thing?

crying out for a decent home pub. drunk in the antigallican before & after the braga game this season, it's as nice as anything else there is but the OB will never give it to us back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Like Buckshee said, that sign up in the Oak berating people for complaining really is the sign of a badly-run boozer.

yes but it was aimed at regular customers, not people who just drink in there on a match day. i.e. the comment of eating their free food on a friday night and using their central heating.

as match day person, i would be happy with the Oak. as long as you can "eventually" get a pint of what you want, it cant be too bad can it. i've spent longer in queues in the liberal club.

there is no fee to get in the Con club... i think WSS just made that up.
  • Options
    Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy
    with all the space behind the West stand the club could build a massive clubhouse for match days only, season ticket holders, or red card members, and make a fortune,

What means more to you looking after the fans and getting a good atmosphere,or car parking spaces, it could be a two tier club house and if developed inthe right manner, woul only lose 50 plus car parking spaces,
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy
    with all the space behind the West stand the club could build a massive clubhouse for match days only, season ticket holders, or red card members, and make a fortune,

What means more to you looking after the fans and getting a good atmosphere,or car parking spaces, it could be a two tier club house and if developed inthe right manner, woul only lose 50 plus car parking spaces,

Those that use the Car Park ie the directors, players and other staff will be loath to lose their spaces I suspect and they are the ones who will have to make the decision.

PC anti car bollox is all well and good for others but not those that impose it in my experience eg John "2 Jags" Prescott.