Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's 2008 Demelza Appeal - Greenwich half-marathon run

Comments

• Options
    In the Brooklyn too Suzi, can we make it 9 am tho.

:-)
  • Options
    I'll be going out for a Run on the Saturday Morning of the 23rd up in Blackpool me thinks I'll be the only one doing it though!
  • Options
    liar, you'll still be in the lap dancing club with the others!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]liar, you'll still be in the lap dancing club with the others!

that's if you've managed to drag him off the karaoke by then...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I'll be going out for a Run on the Saturday Morning of the 23rd up in Blackpool me thinks I'll be the only one doing it though!
    I'll do it across the waterfront with you mate!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A nice jog to remove the hangover, excellent idea.

When you guys are finished, I'll see you in the cafe.
  • Options
    it's cold out there at the moment too, the cycle in this morning was freezing
  • Options
    lucky you got plenty of padding fella. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]lucky you got plenty of padding fella. ;-)

*slap*
  • Options
    Managed a two-mile run on Saturday morning, furthest i've run (hobbled) in about six years without stopping.

Felt absolutely fantastic afterwards, but two days on my legs and feet feel like they've walked the Great Wall of China !
    I'm not joking, the soles of my feet feel bruised !

Gonna try and get out again tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep on Running Smudge, my calf's & hammy's were so sore after each run but going out the next day actually made them feel a bit better, unti lthe next morning of course, it's just getting your body into a habit, I'll be back out tonight with the Dog for another 4 miler!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] I'll be back out tonight with the Dog for another 4 miler!
    You shouldnt speak about the girls of Medway like that mate
  • Options
    For those of you just starting out, remember there is a fair amount of time before this run. At this point in time even getting out on the pavement (and some off road is advisable as well) for 5-10 minutes is fine to start with. Work on increasing by around 30secs to a minute each week for the first month or two. the advantage of a half marathon in October is that by the time you need to do some serious mileage the weather is pretty good.

My offer of doing some training guides still stands, although most out there for 1/2 marathons work on 16-20 week schedules which is not really applicable yet. If you want some idea of a training schedule to start of with I can put something together for you.
  • Options
    I've held off from getting involved with this. I've been suffering with tendonitis in my achilles for months and haven't been able to do any exercise of note in that time. Wasn't sure if I'd manage to get into any kind of shape to even walk the thirteen miles let alone jog.

Anyway, yesterday I went to see a neighbour in Lewisham hospital and decided to walk the 2.5 miles from home and back. Good test to see how the injury is recovering and to see if I might be able to actually do this. Today I feel like I'm never going to walk again. So it's going to be a wimp out from me but I'll gladly sponsor a couple of the muppets brave souls who are taking the event on.
  • Options
    I think that would be a great idea kigelia when we are in that 20 week away period.

Would be much appreciated - thanks for all your advice so far.
  • Options
    i'd really appreciate that Kigelia, even just for some form of curiosity knowledge.

What would i would say is if there is anyone else out there reading this that hasn't put their name down but fancy giving it a go, get involved !!

Its for a great charity, and i'm more convinced than ever that if anyone really wanted to do it then it isn't the huge challenge you originally think it will be.

They'll be a big team of us supporting each other, and it will be fantastic if we had 30+ of us on the starting line together and then back in the bar at the end.
  • Options
    I might add that I was seriously thinking of doing it. I've even lost weight over the Christmas period (1.5 Stones since the end of November) in anticipation of starting the training!
  • Options
    Supporting each other, is that what you was doing when I was trying to eat my cheese puff on Saturday AFKA ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]I've held off from getting involved with this. I've been suffering with tendonitis in my achilles for months and haven't been able to do any exercise of note in that time. Wasn't sure if I'd manage to get into any kind of shape to even walk the thirteen miles let alone jog.

Anyway, yesterday I went to see a neighbour in Lewisham hospital and decided to walk the 2.5 miles from home and back. Good test to see how the injury is recovering and to see if I might be able to actually do this. Today I feel like I'm never going to walk again. So it's going to be a wimp out from me but I'll gladly sponsor a couple of the [s]muppets[/s] brave souls who are taking the event on.[/quote]

I know how you feel, I am currently in my 5th week of no running after a calf injury. Am relegated to swimming or cycling, it is getting a bit boring at the moment. I have about 15 weeks till I am due to run a marathon. I should make it but any chance of a decent time has pretty much gone out of the window.

I Would recommend a physio appointment or two to get it sorted.
  • Options
    "They'll be a big team of us supporting each other, and it will be fantastic if we had 30+ of us on the starting line together and then back in the bar at the end."

Or back in A&E at the end!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The route section

i see they've added slightly more detail in the route section than when i last checked a few weeks back. How far does that go down to ? Erith?
  • Options
    Jeez, it's a bloody long way when you look at that!!
  • Options
    yes 13miles is hard work
  • Options
    Plumstead I think B....
  • Options
    I'll probably start worrying in mid September!!
  • Options
    yes i see its at the 4 mile mark, charlton barrier is 2 mile mark so roughly plumstead?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Plumstead I think B....
    Looks like it's going around the new estate built on the old Woolwich Arsenal and then back to the ferry, up the hill to the Artillery barracks then along ha ha road
  • Options
    "Looks like it's going around the new estate built on the old Woolwich Arsenal and then back to the ferry, up the hill to the Artillery barracks then along ha ha road"

Shut it you, I'm knackered just thinking about it. Certainly won't be going "ha ha" on the day!
  • Options
    I'll be thinking of you all on the day :)

Have to say that jogging up from the Ferry after 5 miles will sort the men from the boys.
  • Options
    Do you think the landlord of the Bugle will let people in for 'refreshments'.......

...as long as they're carrying a season ticket?