Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So no to the 39th Game

Comments

• Options
    Good on yer Reg. Im 100% in agreement with what you say.
  • Options
    FIFA have given the idea the bums rush. Good, although I can see a battle ahead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7237359.stm
  • Options
    Im not quite sure why the Premier League needs more money.

Fabregas is apparently in discussions about a £33m contract.

I have no problems with sportsmen being paid good money for what can be short careers but this is ridiculous. If some of the worlds best players go to Spain or Italy so be it. We are already a competitive league in Champions League terms with Man U and Liverpool winning it and Chelsea and Arsenal going close in recent years. There is no need for further expansion other than to line the pockets of a few within the Premier Hierarchy (including Players and Managers) at the expense of the ordinary English fan.

I would far rather see a reduction in Sky prices and match tickets. The Monopolies Commission should look into this. Its part of our National Heritage not a product wholly owned by a few.
  • Options
    According to the Times yesterday this bollocks is back on the agenda.
  • Options
    I hate the whole idea of this for the same reason I hate when people say no to goal line and video technology because referee mistakes are 'all part of the entertainment.'

Football is a sport first and foremost and entertainment second. How can a 39th game even work in a fair competition?
  • Options
    This idea absolutely stinks. If anyone has the misconception that it is a good idea. Here are eight arguments why it isn't (I'm sure there are more):

1. There is no justification for doing this other than to line the pockets of those who are already bloated with cash.
    2. Playing an odd number of games would add an element of unfairness. Each team should play every other team home and away to ensure the equity and integrity of the competition.
    3. Results of these games are likely to be skewed in favour of the big teams as foreign spectators would be likely to get behind famous clubs and big name players.
    4. This would exacerbate the financial imbalance between the biggest clubs and the also-rans as they would be better placed to capitalise on the marketing opportunities.
    5. It would be unfair to fans, particularly most loyal ones who pride themselves in attending all away matches.
    6. We are continually being told that to have a successful national team we need less matches not more. This would be counter productive.
    7. Match atmosphere (one of the great parts of our game) would be reduced to that of a happy-clappy touring circus.
    8. It would be unfair on overseas clubs who's local people should be following them rather than following English teams.

Anyone supporting this idea really needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
  • Options
    It is inherently unfair. A team could be relegated because they have to play Man City three times, for example. It's just greed.
  • Options
    If they do it, make it a friendly at the beginning of the season with no impact on the league.
  • Options
    Why not make it a cup game rather than a league game
  • Options

If they do it, make it a friendly at the beginning of the season with no impact on the league.

The Charity Shield or whatever it's called now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Charity Shield or whatever it's called now.
    Definitely - actually think it would be quite good. I wonder if the FA would object as they need a certain number of big games at Wembley every year ?
  • Options
    It's bad enough as it is, with all the premiership teams doing these cash in foreign tours in pre-season.

I really do wish the Premiership would just break away, sure we would lose 20 teams from this country in our leagues but everything about that organisation stinks.

Im a hypocrite though, because as long as it is the top tier of English football, i can't help but want us to be in it.
  • Options
    How has this coño still got his job, let alone has the balls to start this old shite up again. He epitomises the rottenness in football.
  • Options
    Resurrecting another old thread here. Apparently Scottish Football is trying to get Celtic v Dundee to be played in America...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34916543

Do people even watch Scottish Football in Scotland let alone the Rest of the World?
  • Options
    This issue ain't going away - too much money to be made
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Yeah but Scottish Football?
  • Options

stonemuse said:

I bet they would get a big crowd in the US
  • Options
    I thought this thread would be about us refusing to play Birmingham at home on 2nd April.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

I don't see why, MLS is already a better league than the SPL. I suppose stick it in Chicago or somewhere with a lot of 'Irish' and you might get some extra interest but for the football, American fans can already better quality stuff domestically.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

I don't see why, MLS is already a better league than the SPL. I suppose stick it in Chicago or somewhere with a lot of 'Irish' and you might get some extra interest but for the football, American fans can already better quality stuff domestically.
    Attending football is not only about the quality though is it. We watch Charlton when it would be better quality to go to watch Crystal Palace but we don't. It's about attachment and history. Heritage even.

Still think it's a crap idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ledge said:

it's the end of football in this country if this is allowed to happen.

Pickwick you are deluded mate if you think the yanks or anywhere would want to watch Charlton Athletic. could you imagine us against Wigan being a full house in some mighty stadium somewhere in the world . As much as I love this club we are not going to be a big draw other than in China if we had ZZ in the team.

Scudamore is a **** - he went on about getting mail bags full of request from fans to play games abroad. Yeah from foreign fans FFS you thick mug. Does he really think Pat from Salford would want this REALLY.

Then they spoke about it being in January - 2 rounds of the FA Cup Carling Cup semi's plus league games and they want to chuck in a 14 hour flight. Can you imagine our away following just after xmas. Large and Golfie would be hysterical at how poor our away support would be

Wait till you see how many we take to Burnley!
  • Options
    Celtic could fill a ground in Boston, think about it.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Celtic in Boston or New York would be massive. You've only got to look at the numbers Ireland had supporting them in the 1994 World Cup to know this could pull a huge crowd.

I bet ohhahh will still have a pop at Dundee's away support though ;-)
  • Options
    La Liga: Spanish top flight to stage competitive game in USA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45209407

• Options
    "This unique relationship will create new opportunities for millions of North American soccer fans to experience the most passionate, exciting, and highest level of soccer in the world."

What utter bollocks. Aside from 80k in the stadium, the millions of North American 'soccer' fans will be experiencing the game in exactly the same way as they would if it was in Spain.
  • Options

Love it... La Liga were one top League who were very much opposed to the Premier League doing that
  • Options
    sm said:

Perhaps we could have a 47th game in Sint Truiden, it would give Roly the chance to attend a game after we had spoiled his lunch and appreciated the hospitality at his hotel?

And would give us all the chance to have a jolly good dance.
  • Options

Love it... La Liga were one top League who were very much opposed to the Premier League doing that
    It's all about money, not sport. Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.
  • Options
    Pretty obviously going to have to be Barca, Real, Atletico or at a push Sevilla as one of the sides involved.

US fans aren't exactly going to rush out to watch Alaves v Girona.