Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The official cheltenham thread

Comments

• Options
    Get in there Denman, woo hoo.

If Exotic Dance could have grabbed that 3rd spot I would have been quids in.
  • Options
    A few of us had a little whip round and lumped on Denman. The only rule was that any winnings must be spent in a pub!

A little session beckons next time we're all in!
  • Options
    Denman saved my day!!!
  • Options
    I've done my boots
  • Options
    totally and utterly lost it today... backed peacock, silverhand, exotic dancer all e/w and thought i was onto a bit... not a sausage!
  • Options
    did someone call?
  • Options
    Who's going this year then?

I'm doing the opening day, champ hurdle etc

Go native & Dunguib double for me.
  • Options
    Denman unseated today
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Denman unseated today

Worrying. Denman and McCoy was only going to go one of two ways.Match made in heaven or hell.It's looking like the latter unfortunately.
  • Options
    Both too dominant, Sam Thomas was harshly treated
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McCoy had no grip over the horse going into the fence it fell at.

John Francome (who backed McCoy in The Sun yesterday) as expected stood up for McCoy until the end of his summary where he said Denman was a horse that needed a tight rein.

McCoy has been riding poor horses for ages now and prolly needed this kick up the arris.

Havenr bothered with Cheltenham so far this year but backed Snowy Morning for the Grand National at 66/1.
  • Options
    How many people would have the slightest interest in horses if it wasn't for betting then?

Lord Derby and Charles Bunbury would be my guess...
  • Options
    Im going this year on the friday. Stag do.
  • Options
    Going Wednesday 17th March - St Patrick's day, staying overnight & going again Thursday 18th.
  • Options
    I'm there on Tues/Wed with the BNHC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]How many people would have the slightest interest in horses if it wasn't for betting then?

Lord Derby and Charles Bunbury would be my guess...

And me.

I don't gamble, yet enjoy the races, trying to pick a winner etc.
  • Options
    Horse Racing would be dead without the betting element of it, it's not like other sports in that sense.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Who's going this year then?

I'm doing the opening day, champ hurdle etc

Go native & Dunguib double for me.[/quote]

Definatly Dunguib for me. Excellent run couple of sundays back. Not even off the bridle
  • Options
    I won a shed load on Dunguib last year in the Bumper. Willie Mullins can't win it every year! It capped a very successful 2 days for me.
  • Options
    I used to go this annually until about 2002 and then got a bit bored of it, preferring to watch on the telly.

On a different matter, I've just had a punt on a horse called Bold Adventure in the 2.30pm at Lingfield today after being told it is expected to run a big race.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]

On a different matter, I've just had a punt on a horse called Bold Adventure in the 2.30pm at Lingfield today after being told it is expected to run a big race.

Unlucky!
  • Options
    Ha it was as it goes. Came out of the stalls wrong at the start but was flying at the end and would have won with another furlong. Definitely one to be on next time.
  • Options
    Our tickets are for the Tattersalls, anyone know if you have to wear a whistle in that part of the course?
  • Options
    No, you're alright on the whistle score but it can be a challenge getting liquid refreshment in between races if you want to go and play the rails rather than just use the Tote - Gold Cup Day normally the worst but given Wednesday is Paddy's day it could be abit busy then too!
  • Options
    In Tatts you can wear whatever you like. Beer not a problen either. The 4 days that the greedy bastards have introduced has spread the numbers. Also there is a worldwide recession on and last year numbers were well down -Friday excluded.
    The Festival ( Gold Cup excluded) has not sold out out for years.
    Yes Wed is Paddy's day but the Paddys are there all week anyway, Credit Crunch or no Credit Crunch!
  • Options
    Far too many Paddys!
  • Options
    Information that I thought I would share ahead of the Cheltenham festival next week. Might be of use to people who like to look at trends before picking.

Day 1 - Tuesday 16th March

Supreme Novices Hurdle Trends

31 of the last 35 winners have been aged five or six. You can stick a line through a few with that stat!

All out of the last ten winners had won at least 50% of their hurdle starts

All of the last ten winners had run within the last 45 days

Nine of the last ten winners won last time out

Seven of the last ten winners were trained in Ireland

Arkle Trends

The Arkle is a huge test for inexperienced horses who are required to jump well at speed. Errors will cause horses to struggle to keep in touch and those unable to maintain a high cruising speed will become too far detached. The fastest horse both over and between the fences will come out on top.

21 of the last 23 winners finished first or second last time out

All out of the last ten winners started at an SP no bigger than 11/1

All of the last ten winners had had no more than five races over fences

Nine of the last ten winners were aged between five and seven (only one winner aged eight or over since 1960!)

Nine out of the last ten winners were rated at least 142 over hurdles

William Hill Trophy Trends

All out of the last ten winners carried no more than 10st 12lb
    All out of the last ten winners were officially rated 127-143
    All of the last ten winners aged 7-10
    Nine of the last ten winners had won over at least three miles
    Horses with previous placed Festival form have a good record in this race
    Only two favourites have won this race since 1977

Champion Hurdle Trends

A two mile sprint race for the fastest hurdlers in national hunt racing. An ability to travel well at speed and jump without losing momentum is crucial.

All out of the last ten winners had previously run well at the Cheltenham Festival (at least fourth) with eight out of ten previous winners at the Festival

All of the last 10 winners had it's final prep run within 51 days (mid to late January).

Nine out of the last ten winners won at least one race that season

Nine of the last ten winners were aged six to nine

Cross Country Trends

All of the five winners have been trained in Ireland (and 15 of the last 16 placed horses!)
    All five winners had previously won a cross country race

All of the five winners had won one of its last two starts

All of the five winners had won over at least three miles

Horses aged younger than eight have a very poor record in all cross country races at Cheltenham

It usually pays to avoid horses who are having their first run in cross country races - course experience is the key!

David Nicholson Mares Only Hurdle

Because this race has only been run twice its a little early to be focusing too closely on trends for this race but its worth noting that both winners so far were:

Last time out winners

Held up for a late run - this may be because the ground for the last race on the first day is usually at its worst
  • Options
    friday 2.10 county hurdle been told ERADICATE could be a good thing price a moment about 12-1
  • Options
    Day 1 selections:

1.30: Dunguib, Get me out of here ew.
    2.05: Riverside theatre ew
    2.40: The PAckage, Ogee ew
    3.20: Celestial halo ew, Binocular ew.
    4.00: Heads on the ground ew
    4.40: Voler la vedette
  • Options
    starts tomorrow doesn't it? know someone who is area manager at coral was mentioning tips last week and says he gets a fair few. will find out tonight as playing him at snooker and will post on here if i remember :o)