Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For the SQUEEZE fans here. . .

13»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

A flat to rent would come in at about £800 per calendar month if you're lucky.
    That's a lot if you're on £9.15 per hour. Not even taking into account utilities and council tax.

1600 quid a month, give or take a few quid. Reckon I could do that and if not, I'd get meself a little extra number like delivering pizzas to keep the wolves from the door.

Be a bit worried that I'd eat more than I deliver that's the only thing........
  • Options

seth plum said:

That's a lot if you're on £9.15 per hour. Not even taking into account utilities and council tax.

1600 quid a month, give or take a few quid. Reckon I could do that and if not, I'd get meself a little extra number like delivering pizzas to keep the wolves from the door.

Indeed. Second jobs is what a lot of people do. I believe the majority of minimum wage youngsters struggle and just about survive. However a point I made above is about an ex care person with modest achievement ever becoming a homeowner. Cameron and his ilk continually go on about home ownership being everybody's dream, it is not realistic for everybody in my view, and council/social housing is not available any more to get people started in life.
    It is easy to be rather dismissive, but a home is a fundamental, and I would say this government sees housing as an opportunity for churn rather than a social necessity.
    It is a minority who are feckless and demanding, I would say the overwhelming majority of the 10000 18 year olds chucked out of care every year are still hopeful and would like to build a life, but in London, with housing, the odds are heavily against those young people.
  • Options
    There are a lot of reasons why housing is such a disaster area at the moment, but to be fair you can't overlook the massive population growth in the last few years either... 1 million extra people moving into the UK over a short period of time, most of which wanting to living in London and the South East puts a massive strain on already stretched housing resources.

• Options
    There are plenty of affordable places to live in the UK and many people currently struggling in London and the South East have jobs or skills which are readily transferable elsewhere - the quality of life would likely be better too.

However despite being so small, there seems to be considerable labour mobility inertia in the UK compared to say the US where people would think nothing of moving thousands of miles for a better life in their own country.
  • Options

There are plenty of affordable places to live in the UK and many people currently struggling in London and the South East have jobs or skills which are readily transferable elsewhere - the quality of life would likely be better too.

However despite being so small, there seems to be considerable labour mobility inertia in the UK compared to say the US where people would think nothing of moving thousands of miles for a better life in their own country.

Agree, except they probably can't cope with the wrench of moving miles away from Charlton... ;-)

• Options
    edited January 2016
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Indeed. Second jobs is what a lot of people do. I believe the majority of minimum wage youngsters struggle and just about survive. However a point I made above is about an ex care person with modest achievement ever becoming a homeowner. Cameron and his ilk continually go on about home ownership being everybody's dream, it is not realistic for everybody in my view, and council/social housing is not available any more to get people started in life.
    It is easy to be rather dismissive, but a home is a fundamental, and I would say this government sees housing as an opportunity for churn rather than a social necessity.
    It is a minority who are feckless and demanding, I would say the overwhelming majority of the 10000 18 year olds chucked out of care every year are still hopeful and would like to build a life, but in London, with housing, the odds are heavily against those young people.
    Lots of folk have problems through their early life and they just play the cards they been dealt and crack on with it (unless of course they suffer from mental or physical disability or both in which case they should be helped with all they need). Imo though, ex-care persons should be helped upto the age of 18 or so and then face the same problems in life as the rest of us that are slaves to the system ie. getting a decent job, house etc and making summing of their lives.

Maybe the care system could do with improving too, but imo that's a separate argument
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Lots of folk have problems through their early life and they just play the cards they been dealt and crack on with it (unless of course they suffer from mental or physical disability or both in which case they should be helped with all they need). Imo though, ex-care persons should be helped upto the age of 18 or so and then face the same problems in life as the rest of us that are slaves to the system ie. getting a decent job, house etc and making summing of their lives.

Maybe the care system could do with improving too, but imo that's a separate argument
    A lot of people, a lot, are still living with family well past the age of 18. The folk chucked out at 18 don't really face the same kind of problems as the rest of us, and they do want to crack on and make something of their lives. The where to live issue stands before them like a massive barrier to progress for quite a few, and in the past that problem was mitigated by the availability of affordable council rented places.
    Now what happens is Cameron looks at the footprint of a council estate, or a Peabody estate and is calculating it's monetary worth. There is such an estate for example just behind the old Tate gallery not far from the Houses of Parliament which could realise a small fortune if developed for rich overseas investors to buy and let lie fallow.
    The Tory housing policy is awful despite everything they bray and whinny about, and just wait until they start saying which is a 'sink' estate and which is not.
    The Ferrier estate of social housing has been torn down and replaced by...err...the Ferrier estate of private housing! Mainly consisting of matchboxes selling for half a million quid each.

The Tories want some of that kind of action for their own snouts.
  • Options
    This thread has gone off-topic. Please close.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

This thread has gone off-topic. Please close.

Glen Tilbrook started it
  • Options
    Glenn explains to the Guardian how the change came about.
    Balls of steel, live on TV.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/11/lyrics-david-cameron-squeeze-andrew-marr-show-protest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How the feck has this thread got to the top of the page tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

How the feck has this thread got to the top of the page tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because the football is so utterly depressing and uncontrollable!
    Solly.
  • Options

Glenn explains to the Guardian how the change came about.
    Balls of steel, live on TV.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/11/lyrics-david-cameron-squeeze-andrew-marr-show-protest

Give it rest fella, you are becoming extremely boring.
  • Options
    eh?
  • Options

eh?

The rightie do-badders are losing the argument, so they want it stopped, Art...

:wink:
  • Options
    OK, cheers for the enlightenment.
    My focus was on the band rather than their message - hadnt registered just how political the thread on Squeeze had become, but reading it through I can see the point.
    Apologies.
    Still think it was quite a cool thing for the band to do.