Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NHL - Stanley Cup

Comments

• Options
    Wings get it because they had the better regular season record
  • Options
    The Red Wings sat back at 3-2 and tried to protect the lead, and ultimately paid the price. My two cents is that they'll still win it. Penguins will be strong next year but the rumour mill suggests one of Malkin or Hossa to depart in the close season which would be a big blow to them (esp Malkin)..
  • Options
    It was a blinding game. I had to sleep before the 3OT but it was a fantastic advert.

How did us Lifers fair in the little competition we had?
  • Options
    I predicted a Red Wings win over the Penguins back before the play-offs began. I would love to be proved wrong though!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Albertan_Addick[/cite]The Red Wings sat back at 3-2 and tried to protect the lead, and ultimately paid the price. My two cents is that they'll still win it. Penguins will be strong next year but the rumour mill suggests one of Malkin or Hossa to depart in the close season which would be a big blow to them (esp Malkin)..
    Without a doubt one of them will be gone. I think (and hope) that it will be Hossa. He was traded for at the deadline to turn us into legit cup contenders - and he has undoubtedly done that - but there's no way we could keep both because of the salary cap. Nothing against Hossa - in fits and starts he's been pretty darn good - but Malkin is younger and has more potential. I agree, the wings will still win the cup, but I think that next year, if we keep Malkin and trade for a decent defenseman and another veteran (Roberts can't go on forever) in the offseason, I think we'll have a great shot at the cup.
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]It was a blinding game. I had to sleep before the 3OT but it was a fantastic advert.

How did us Lifers fair in the little competition we had?
    I predicted a Pens-Sharks final as I thought the wings would choke (as usual). pretty p***ed I was wrong, cos the Pens would have ruined the Sharks, whereas the wings have dominated the Pens despite only leading the series 3-2
  • Options
    Of course, Malkin is really young, full of potential and aalmost single-handedly kept the Pens afloat during Crosby's injury. That said, Hossa has performed admirably throughout the playoffs and espeically this series, and Malkin has undoubtedly done the opposite, as he's strangely been a non-factor. Isn't Hossa out of contract this summer? In terms of immediate help to any team, and while in the shop window that is the Stanley Cup final, Hossa has shown brilliantly...
  • Options
    There is talk about Hossa coming to the Canucks over here - Malkin will stay I'm sure
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]Of course, Malkin is really young, full of potential and aalmost single-handedly kept the Pens afloat during Crosby's injury. That said, Hossa has performed admirably throughout the playoffs and espeically this series, and Malkin has undoubtedly done the opposite, as he's strangely been a non-factor. Isn't Hossa out of contract this summer? In terms of immediate help to any team, and while in the shop window that is the Stanley Cup final, Hossa has shown brilliantly...
    Malkin is knackered, anyone can see it. Burnt out from too much hockey and shouldering the weight of all those expectations. Strangely, however, he played at his best in OT last night - he was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions and he stood up to a couple of punishing hits from Kronwall and Maltby. Yeah, Hossa is an URF in the summer, which means that, even if we wanted to keep both him and Malkin and could find the cap room to do it, someone would sign him to a better sheet somewhere else. Not sure he's a good 'fit' for the Canucks tbh vancouver - I can see him going to somewhere like the Rangers - so long as Jagr leaves, or to Boston, who desperately need a marquee superstar (always had a soft spot for the Bruins and would love to see them become a realistic contender again)
  • Options
    OK - that time of year again! I am the consumate arm-chair, glory hunting, plastic hockey fan - have not watched more than 10 minutes of any of the hundreds of regular season games - but now it's Stanley Cup Play-Off time & my "beloved" Calgary Flames are up against the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round. I have absolutely no idea if the Flames are any good but I am predicting them to win the big cup this year - improbably beating Boston in the final.

Any other predictions?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]OK - that time of year again! I am the consumate arm-chair, glory hunting, plastic hockey fan - have not watched more than 10 minutes of any of the hundreds of regular season games - but now it's Stanley Cup Play-Off time & my "beloved" Calgary Flames are up against the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round. I have absolutely no idea if the Flames are any good but I am predicting them to win the big cup this year - improbably beating Boston in the final.

Any other predictions?

LOL Oakster - are you watching the game right now then? I think the Flames will turn Chicago over personally and hopefully "we'll" play you in the next round ;o). My predictions are for Pittsburgh to reach the final again and probably Detroit, San Jose (or Anaheim if they do them first round) or maybe even the Canucks to meet them in the final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]OK - that time of year again! I am the consumate arm-chair, glory hunting, plastic hockey fan - have not watched more than 10 minutes of any of the hundreds of regular season games - but now it's Stanley Cup Play-Off time & my "beloved" Calgary Flames are up against the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round. I have absolutely no idea if the Flames are any good but I am predicting them to win the big cup this year - improbably beating Boston in the final.

Any other predictions?

LOL Oakster - are you watching the game right now then? I think the Flames will turn Chicago over personally and hopefully "we'll" play you in the next round ;o). My predictions are for Pittsburgh to reach the final again and probably Detroit, San Jose (or Anaheim if they do them first round) or maybe even the Canucks to meet them in the final.

I am indeed! Flames just scored - our name is on the trophy this year!!!
  • Options
    Just you wait till you play the Canucks, you'll have no chance ;o)
  • Options
    Pens Pens Pens!

Bylsma has made such a difference since they fired Therrien a couple of months back. The pens are playing hockey they way they need to play to win - offensively. None of that shit that Therrien had them playing for the first half of this season. Getting Billy Guerin at the trade deadline was an absolute masterstroke and watching them beat up on the Failures last night was seven shades of awesome!

I just bought the online package from NHL.com - 30 dollars for the whole of the playoffs!
  • Options
    Go Pittsburgh - I could not stand Detroit winning again.
  • Options
    va, you hedged your bets more than a little bit in the West, but well done picking Pittsburgh.. I'm inclined to agree with you, and as always, you have to lose before you can win, and they could well be ready, although my head still says Detroit.

Hamilton in '10 though!!
  • Options
    It looks like Detroit again - Boring

Maybe it'll be the Hammer as number 7 Can-Addick - The yanks won't be happy with that though.
  • Options
    just watched Patrick Kane get the winning goal in OT for the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS to win the Stanley Cup for the first time in 49 years.

WELL DONE CHI TOWN.
  • Options
    Ridiculous isolation move by Kane. Thought he was awful in the third period and would eventually give up the puck in a position that would trigger a counter and lose in overtime.

Very much enjoyed watching the Blackhawks throughout the playoffs; NHL hockey seems to be moving a lot more towards football in terms of passing skill, speed of play, and positional movement.
  • Options
    Gutted for all my mates in Philly. Huge Flyers fans and have suffered enough over the years.....at least they share our pain as charlton supporters.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Gutted for all my mates in Philly. Huge Flyers fans and have suffered enough over the years.....at least they share our pain as charlton supporters.

Doubt they have suffered as much as Blackhawks fans. The longest streak of any NHL team not to be champions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was the longest streak, but now supplantled by?

Toronto.

As if I don't have to listen to Leafs fan moaning enough...

Nice result to see though. Charlton should take heart from the 'hawks turnaround. Sounds like the United Centre used to be a good place to go to study for exams, due to the lack of fans and noise, but as they say, they've brought the roar back now!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blimey I went there once a few years back and there were more empty seats than people and they were booed coming onto the ice.

Certainly as a Charlton fan, they way Rocky Wirtz and the managment have rebuilt the Blackhawks is something to take heart from.
  • Options
    Great result and about time, long over due
  • Options
    One for you hockey fans, 41,000 watched Calgary pummel Montreal 4-0 in the outdoor game here today in a very chilly Alberta (-15ish in Calgary during the game). Quite spectacular anyway - these outdoor games are very rare, first one here in Calgary ever...The Flames have risen from the very basement of the league before Xmas to an incredible 5th (would be kind of like Walsall suddenly challenging for promotion to use a L1 analogy)....

Photos: Outdoor NHL
  • Options
    Man it got cold when the sun went down behind the stand, it felt worse than -15!!! But hey the flames won and it was an incredible spectacle....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Albertan_Addick[/cite]Man it got cold when the sun went down behind the stand, it felt worse than -15!!! But hey the flames won and it was an incredible spectacle....

I think we were about 10 degree warmer over here in Canmore AA - gorgeous day, but man this has been a cold, snowy winter & there's more to come - was in Inglewood on Saturday & we nearly froze solid!
  • Options
    Watched this on ESPN, great to see things like this, also liked the retro kits, the more spectacles we have in sport the better in my opinion, I would love to see NBA play outside on a nice day, maybe Miami Heat can put a court in the Dolphins Stadium or something? Obviously it's much easier to do with such a small playing surface, football could never really do anything like this, it would be the equivalent to putting up some stands on Hackney Marshes for a Spurs vs West Ham game
  • Options
    Football's already played outside ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Watched this on ESPN, great to see things like this, also liked the retro kits, the more spectacles we have in sport the better in my opinion, I would love to see NBA play outside on a nice day, maybe Miami Heat can put a court in the Dolphins Stadium or something?

That is a great idea.

I'm going to the 02 to see New Jersey Nets against Minnesota Timberwolves next month. Can't wait.
  • Options
    calgarys transformation has been incredible, all since they changed the coach. Vancouver are my tips this year.