Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NHL - Stanley Cup

13»

Comments

• Options
    Looks like I'm moving to Edmonton (Alberta - not London!) in May so I guess I'm going to have to start getting into this Hockey malarky, at least when the 11/12 season starts next Autumn. Are the Oilers any good?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Watched this on ESPN, great to see things like this, also liked the retro kits, the more spectacles we have in sport the better in my opinion, I would love to see NBA play outside on a nice day, maybe Miami Heat can put a court in the Dolphins Stadium or something?

Well they had the NBA All-Star Game in Cowboys Stadium last year with over 100,000 spectators, so I'm sure they could do something outdoor in Miami for a similar attendance.

As for the game yesterday, looked awesome on the box. Helped it was a better game than the Winter Classic, plus I personally think these sort of events belong in Canada rather than the US. Doing 2 games a season is about the maximum though, the novelty and 'event' would soon wear off if more.
  • Options
    Exiled, the Oilers are horrible this year (and last) but they have got some some exciting young players through the draft system and they may start to be more effective next year.

Good luck with the move, PM me if you have any questions I may be able to help you with.
  • Options
    Phoenix Coyotes ftw!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Oilers play a really good brand of hockey - they just don't have the players to do it - sound familiar? :o) If they draft well this year and bring some of their younger players through to complement Penner and Hemsky, they may well be very good next year. However, there are plenty of rumours that they're going to trade both of them to cup contenders (though the Penner rumour may have less in it now that my team (Pittsburgh) have picked up Neal from Dallas) - which will see them set back another couple of years. Still, the prospects or draft picks they could pick up in return will make them even deeper talent-wise.

Oilers fans are great - they had unparalleled success in the eighties (an absolute dynasty around Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Coffey) but times have been pretty lean since then, yet still they pack out their building (up until recently they sold out every home game in about 150 games)

As for the Heritage Classic, I'm disappointed it was a blowout (though it's always nice to see les habs get their arses handed to them), but outdoor hockey in general is awesome.

Oh and - PS: The Coyotes suck. The very definition of a broken sports franchise - they never should have left the 'peg.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Looks like I'm moving to Edmonton (Alberta - not London!) in May so I guess I'm going to have to start getting into this Hockey malarky, at least when the 11/12 season starts next Autumn. Are the Oilers any good?

I'm in Edmonton once a month, always get lost no matter how well prepared I am directions wise!! Whyte Avenue in the summer is very cool as well...........
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Great to see the Cannucks doing so well this year. Going to be back up in Vancouver for the play-offs... could be their year. Fingers crossed!!! Watched the heritage game down here in Mehico... looked feking cold.

PS Exiled. Good luck in Canada... loved my 4 years there... get down to Vancouver and then up to Whistler if you get the chance. Awesome places.