Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Unsung Charlton Heroes

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
Prompted somewhat by Mascot88's post in the greatest goal thread.

For me (I haven't been going that long), I'd say Graham Stuart.

Almost helped us stay up when we signed him in 98/99, and exactly the kind of player we needed in the season in div 1 and then premiership afterwards.

How we could do with a Graham Stuart now!

So who else has made a massive difference to Charlton teams of the past, without maybe getting the credit they deserved? Here's the place to give it to them!

Apologies if this has been done before, but I did use the famous search but didn't find anything!

Comments

• Options
    Keith Jones. Very underated but an integral part of the play off winning side.

Les Berry also never got the credit he deserved for playing for so long whilst being so shite
  • Options
    Good thread. Stuart was a great player for us.

I would go for A. Curbishley the player. Was an important part of the 85/6 promotion team but maybe his managerial success has glossed over what a good player he was.
  • Options
    Mark Bowen i always liked
  • Options
    Kish, 7 seasons service at the top level
  • Options
    I kid you not, on holiday a geordie couple asked me if Tavern was a footballer but the bloke couldnt remember his name... Tavern was sat in the corner a bit pissed getting chatted up by a 60 year old so thats probably why he thought he was... so i said yes Graham Stuart and they went over and took his picture to show their mates back home.

i did put them right before we left..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Kish, 7 seasons service at the top level

Of course, how could i forget
  • Options
    Jason Morgan

Have never met the guy, but get the impression he is not short of confidence. But there can be no doubting that our Community Scheme is probably the best asset this club has, is responsible for not just helping bring through waves of young Charlton fans, but also getting kids playing the sport in the first place. He's been there from the start and played an instrument role.

Roger Alwen

While Murray and Simons helped finish the job off of getting us back to The Valley, and spear-headed the upturn in club fortunes, it was Roger that really got the ball rolling.

Peter Cordwell

At the time when the Merc was a must read for Charlton fans, his editorial role really helped give the return home movement a bit of bite.

Rick Everitt (Airman Brown)

I don't think anyone can really doubt the importance the VOTV played in the return, particularly as a focal point to the Supoorters Club becoming a serious body, extending on to the Valley Party.
  • Options
    I agree with Len, Kish also.
  • Options
    Tricky's post: "So who else has made a massive difference to Charlton teams of the past, without maybe getting the credit they deserved? Here's the place to give it to them!"

Perhaps AFKA yours could have been another thread?
  • Options
    Deffo Kish - better player than most people gave him credit for - in fact it does make me wonder if some people actually know a decent player when they see one.

Mark Reid in the 80's a very fine left back and one of my all time favourite players.

Graham Stuart is a great shout though - came up with some bloody important goals playing for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shaun Bartlett - not the greatest striker we've had, but one of the most hard working. The season before we bought D Bent was when we first tried 4-5-1 to stop a run of bad results, and Bartlett found himself as the loan striker. I thought he worked his socks off in that role despite it not being one he preferred, and those performances kept us in the Prem for another year. Also came up with some important goals - against Man Utd and Liverpool in particular
  • Options
    Charlie Hall. I may be wrong but I cannot think of anyone who worked for the club for longer than him. Still find it difficult to understand how he did not get a minute silence last season.
  • Options
    Roger Alwyn certainly. Jason Morgan, Peter Cordwell and Rick are all great shouts. Charlie Hall is a legend end off.

Syd Cheeswright has been doing a thankless task for donkeys.

In terms of players - Mark Stuart certainly exceeded all expectations when he came up from the youths. He scored a lot of important goals, played at the top level and then had a great career down the divisions playing 100's of games and never stopped scoring goals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Roger Alwyn certainly. Jason Morgan, Peter Cordwell and Rick are all great shouts. Charlie Hall is a legend end off.

Syd Cheeswright has been doing a thankless task for donkeys.

In terms of players - Mark Stuart certainly exceeded all expectations when he came up from the youths. He scored a lot of important goals, played at the top level and then had a great career down the divisions playing 100's of games and never stopped scoring goals.

Agree on Mark Stuart. Robert Lee got all the cedit as they emerged at more or less the same time yet Stuart got something like 28 goals in just over 100 games from the wing/midfield.

We could do with that kind of return now!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Martin, Martin Robinson. Got overshadowed by Powell, Hales, Flanagan et al, but came up with a good few important goals for us.

(Just looked up his stats - 58 goals in 228 games.)
  • Options
    Probably not THAT unsung but Steve Gritt, Charlton through & through. Played in every position and scored a few crackers as well. QPR at Sellout and a night game at Port Vale spring to mind.
  • Options
    keith jones
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Martin, Martin Robinson. Got overshadowed by Powell, Hales, Flanagan et al, but came up with a good few important goals for us.

works in the City somewhere, have seen him about on a couple of occasions.
  • Options
    Brian Kinsey
    Matt Tees
    Phil Warman
    Peter Hunt
    Jim Melrose
    Peter Shirtliff
    Andy Peake
    Garry Nelson
    Sweaty Balmer
    Alan Pardew ........

Jeez, this list could be endless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Martin, Martin Robinson. Got overshadowed by Powell, Hales, Flanagan et al, but came up with a good few important goals for us.

works in the City somewhere, have seen him about on a couple of occasions.

Do say hello from me - I was the teenager forever asking for his autograph or to have my photo taken with him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2008

Another good shout.

Going back to the dark ages of the 60s Brian Tocknell. Bailey and Hinton were the other half backs and got all the publicity at the time.
  • Options
    Charlie Hall. Complete disgrace that he did not get a minute silence taking into account the amount of years he worked for the club.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: trickyrickycafc[/cite]Prompted somewhat by Mascot88's post in the greatest goal thread.

For me (I haven't been going that long), I'd say Graham Stuart.

Almost helped us stay up when we signed him in 98/99, and exactly the kind of player we needed in the season in div 1 and then premiership afterwards.

How we could do with a Graham Stuart now!

So who else has made a massive difference to Charlton teams of the past, without maybe getting the credit they deserved? Here's the place to give it to them!

Apologies if this has been done before, but I did use the famous search but didn't find anything![/quote]

Jim "allergic to grass" Melrose for me, always brings back memories of that 3-0 win at fulham midweek early 85, he scored a hat trick I think that night.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I kid you not, on holiday a geordie couple asked me if Tavern was a footballer but the bloke couldnt remember his name... Tavern was sat in the corner a bit pissed getting chatted up by a 60 year old so thats probably why he thought he was... so i said yes Graham Stuart and they went over and took his picture to show their mates back home.

i did put them right before we left..[/quote]

PMSL, shurely shum mistake
  • Options
    The VIP investors. That got CAFC back to The Valley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]The VIP investors. That got CAFC back to The Valley.

Careful, Pete, someone will say Valley Gold next...
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If we are talking about non players too then Bill Jenner must be worthy of mention.

An instigator of the old Charlton Development Fund, got involved with the supporters club and eventually became a director.
  • Options
    Chris Duffy ...... for scoring THAT goal - which means we've won the FA Cup more times than Millwall or Palace
  • Options
    Mickey Bennett and Paul Mortimer...two exceptional players and nice blokes to boot. Had the pleasure of meeting both of them back in the day. Harry Gregory is another....Ray Treacy and Matt Tees along with Peter Reeves too.
  • Options
    I always liked Graham Stuart, I always thought he looked a really good player who used his brain as he lacked real pace. Its funny, I was watching a few YouTube clips yesterday of old matches and special mention must go to Kish as others have said. The ammount of assists in big games the guy had was very very impressive and often doesn't get remembered.