Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Unsung Charlton Heroes

Comments

• Options
    Martin Robinson - yes, good shout. Great song in the days when we had player songs.

From an earlier generation I like Richie Bowman too.
  • Options
    Mark Aizelwood. Slated in first games but once he gave the fingers to the east terrace went from strength to strength
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]Mark Aizelwood. Slated in first games but once he gave the fingers to the east terrace went from strength to strength

were the fingers in a 2-4 reverse at home to the mighty shrewsbury
  • Options
    Kish for me - may not have always got it right but never stopped trying in a Charlton shirt
  • Options
    Mark Aizelwood. Slated in first games but once he gave the fingers to the east terrace went from strength to strength

"were the fingers in a 2-4 reverse at home to the mighty shrewsbury"

No, it was against Oldham. We won 2-1 and he did it after he scored the first goal.
  • Options
    cheers dm, i think he scored in the 2-4 loss against shrews then .....
    he was so so bad at the beginning and then became a decent player b4 running off to 'big bucks' at leeds but we still beat them in the play offs
  • Options
    Steve Mackenzie...rubbish in his first half season but got steadily better after that and scored a few vital goals including an equaliser at Highbury.

George Shipley - a good player in our promotion season, and to be fair out of is depth when we went up but never stopped running or competing.

Colin Walsh - scored some great goals and a cracking midfielder.
  • Options
    Mark Reid in the 80's a very fine left back and one of my all time favourite players.

Ive always loved mark reid... i used to try his little inside fake at school all the time.... to the distress of my coach
  • Options
    Kevin Lisbie ..........

For scoring winners against Spuds, Chelsea & Liverpool.

And that last match of the season when he played at Chelsea, having been out for ages with illness - what turned out to be a nose tumour - and playing alone up front, run himself into the ground for Charlton.
  • Options
    not a unsung hero as such, but i still dont think Jason Euell ever got the credit he deserved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agree with that roseandcrown.. was he top scorer for 3 consecutive seasons?? definitely kept us up in those years
  • Options
    Me
  • Options
    keith jones is a good shout

my step dad hated keith jones, was always moaning about how he didnt pass forward. but i always thought he did his job very well, never gave the ball away. always broke play down. good touch. very under rated
  • Options
    And that's what defines an 'Unsung Hero' ........

"did his job very well, never gave the ball away. always broke play down. good touch. very under rated"
  • Options
    meet keith jones a few times seemed a very nice bloke, also seem to remember reading somewhere that when we was trying to sign him from Southend he said i want thismove so just pay me what you think im worth and i will sign.
  • Options
    Players like Steve Gritt, Steve Brown, Keith Jones and Kish to name just 4 are the heartbeat of a club like charlton.
  • Options
    Funny isn't it - I think that Keith Jones is one of my least favourite CAFC players ever. Nothing personal just didn't think he was very good. He did have that one great game against Liverpool at home but could give Ray Wilkins a lesson in passing sideways. I always found myself frustrated by him and in my opinion Kinsella possibly made him look better than he was in that play-off year.

Terrific middle name though - Keith Aubrey Jones
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Low_Ears[/cite]Funny isn't it - I think that Keith Jones is one of my least favourite CAFC players ever. Nothing personal just didn't think he was very good. He did have that one great game against Liverpool at home but could give Ray Wilkins a lesson in passing sideways. I always found myself frustrated by him and in my opinion Kinsella possibly made him look better than he was in that play-off year.

Terrific middle name though - Keith Aubrey Jones

Agreed. If Keith Jones and Kish are the heartbeat of Charlton we're in more trouble than we think!
  • Options
    Keith Jones was a legend in my book he was what every club needed and he done his job fantastically well, he never moaned when dropped he never bragged when picked, I bought a couple of spurs pals to a game and they both backed him to score first i took the pee a bit then joined them winning a princly sum when he did score 1st goal at 33-1 backed him every week from then on

this thread is all about the keith Joneses of Charlton and i would give my right bollock to have a keith Jones playing now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Keith Jones was a legend in my book he was what every club needed and he done his job fantastically well, he never moaned when dropped he never bragged when picked, I bought a couple of spurs pals to a game and they both backed him to score first i took the pee a bit then joined them winning a princly sum when he did score 1st goal at 33-1 backed him every week from then on

this thread is all about the keith Joneses of Charlton and i would give my right bollock to have a keith Jones playing now

A midfielder at 33-1 to score the first goal? Says it all...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it is funny how fans can have such a different view on one player. on the train on thrusday 2 men were talking about how downing was man of the match when he came on for england.clearly they didnt watch the game ha. but seriously, alot of players should take a leaf out of jones' book, he did the simple things correctly which for made him a very good player.
  • Options
    his legs wernt built for shooting he was only little,

more of a nusience who didnt need or want the glory, was a cracking goal as well midweek i think about 18 -20 yrds out,

great player for us
  • Options
    You can get Claude Makalele at 66-1 to be first goalscorer at the weekend. That means Keith Jones is twice as good!
  • Options
    Jonesy was the first makalele

Heard on a whisper Makalele based his whole footballing ethos on Keith Jones

remember folks you heard it here first
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    I heard that Makalele was so impressed with Keith Jones' style of play that he got a:

"KJ is my hero"

tattoo on his left calf.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    haha
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]his legs wernt built for shooting he was only little,

more of a nusience who didnt need or want the glory, was a cracking goal as well midweek i think about 18 -20 yrds out,

great player for us[/quote]

I am quite happy to agree to disagree as he is one of those that split opinions but in relative terms we have had a few "great" players in recent years - Rufus, Kinsella and Mendonca for example. Keith Aubrey Jones does not come into this category.

And I would have left Southend for next to no money as well - I should know I live there!
  • Options
    Same size, same colour, same scoring frequency,

i bet you Jonsey changed his name and signed for Chelski as

Claude makalele
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChiAddick[/cite]haha
    Not sure why you are laughing.

Apparently, when Makalele saw Keith Jones ply his trade for Charlton for the first time he got a plaque made to put in his bathroom in France that said:

"Always keep up with the Joneses"