Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Unsung Charlton Heroes

13»

Comments

• Options
    Covered End - are you proposing Steve White or are you actually Steve White? Now he had good hair...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Same size, same colour, same scoring frequency,

i bet you Jonsey changed his name and signed for Chelski as

Claude makalele

Didn't Jones play for Chelski?
  • Options
    I think Keith Jones allowed Kinsella to be a great player for Charlton.

Kins would have been good in any side but with Jones behind him he could get forward and dictate the play knowing that Jones was always there to tidy up.

No Jones wasn't a great player and didn't score many goals but I'd have him in todays side like a shot. Great shout for unsung hero.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Keith Jones,Garry Nelson,Kish

all great at what they did true greats get all the plaudits and headlines i agree with the mendonca,rufus,kinsella as true greats for charlton.

but they couldnt do what Jonsey,Nelse,or kish could and that was the dirty messy parts of football that need doing so that Kinsella sooper clive and the rest could do the things they were good at

thats what makes them a great player maybe not the greatest
  • Options
    you beat me to it henners
  • Options
    I remember when both Keith Jones and Steve Jones were at Charlton together, the players used to refer to them as 'the Jones brothers'.

LOL
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    Keith Jones played for Chelsea between 83 and 87 and actually had a decent scoring record for them scoring 7 times in 52 appearances. 6 in 158 for us.

Much better than Makalele who has scored 2 goals in 140 appearances for Chelsea and NEVER scored for Real Madrid.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It is official then fact

Keith Jones is a better player than Claude makalele
  • Options
    was nla? i'd put a bet on that he still is
  • Options
    Was there a CharltonLife drinking session this afternoon that I didn't know about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No buddy just i think we have formed the keith jones is god apreciation society

i have seen the error of my ways and it now says is WSS
  • Options
    Backalong, when I was a mere lad - I remember Lawrie McMenemy, then the Southampton manager whose side had finished 2nd in the top flight Division 1.

Asked about his success of taking his grossly underdog side to such heady heights, he said:

"....... I always build my side around 9 virtuosoes and 2 road sweepers.......the virtuosoes are of course priceless - but they would achieve very little on their own without the roadsweepers..."

That taught me to appreciate the value to a team of a player that supporters often do not appreciate.
    And that these players are always picked by the manager who knows that his best players can't perform in the team without them.

And why players like Jonesy and Kish were always on Curbs' team sheet.
  • Options
    Bro have to totaly agree about the legend Keith Jones remember your little betting frenzy on him well
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Backalong, when I was a mere lad - I remember Lawrie McMenemy, then the Southampton manager whose side had finished 2nd in the top flight Division 1.

Asked about his success of taking his grossly underdog side to such heady heights, he said:

"....... I always build my side around 9 virtuosoes and 2 road sweepers.......the virtuosoes are of course priceless - but they would achieve very little on their own without the roadsweepers..."

That taught me to appreciate the value to a team of a player that supporters often do not appreciate.
    And that these players are always picked by the manager who knows that his best players can't perform in the team without them.

And why players like Jonesy and Kish were always on Curbs' team sheet.

We all know that a football team is made up of 11 players each with their own role - some to score goals, some to break down the oppositions play, one to stand between the white posts and use his hands. It's not brain surgery. It doesn't alter the fact that Aubrey wasn't in my opinion a "great" player or in fact anywhere near "great".

Fantastic thread - who would have thought that a bloke who hasn't played for us in 8 years would cause such a response.
  • Options
    Thats what makes footie great Low ears

on here i dont think you have any thread where everyone agrees some one even said once that Pardew is a shite manager couldnt believe it when i read that :-)
  • Options
    Now now NLA
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

some one even said once that Pardew is a shite manager couldnt believe it when i read that :-)

But as a player, the best quality silver haired penalty taker since Peter Reid. ;o)
  • Options
    Jon Fortune.

Quietly goes about his business and plays through the pain barrier in the name of Charlton.

In his 7th season near. A fine servant of the Club.
  • Options
    Oggy do you mean that pards was a silver fox Raveneli

A mercenry for money now that has been said on here too i cant believe it ;-)
  • Options
    Not really, NLA - perhaps you remember Pards was already prematurely grey before he signed for & skippered Charlton.
    Neat & tidy midfielder, good passer - and of course our penalty taker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many goals did Keith Jones ever score for us? I can remember only 2. The one against Liverpool at the Valley & a spectacular shot from 30+ yards to equalise at Oakwell on a bitterly cold Yorkshire day. I loved the guy & as Henry says I think Jonesy was fundamental in giving Kins the freedom to play as well as he did.
  • Options
    am I imagining it or has no-one mentioned Jon Hendrie for that last minute winner against the spanners?
  • Options
    Jim Melrose
    Frank Haydock
    John Humphrey
    Peter Shirtliff
    Arthur Horsfield
    Nicky Johns
    Graham Moore
    Matt Tees