Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How the Forum works.........How to Quote, do Links, and Whisper Properly

edited April 2008 in Troubleshooting
Quoting

Seems to be quite a lot of users unaware of how the quoting option works, where it transfers text neatly into a yellow box, so hopefully this will help.

Once you have pressed 'quote' on someone else's post, the text will then be transferred to the main comments box.

In simple terms, to get it shown in the yellow quote box, all you have to do is make sure that in the row beneath the main comments box,

'Format comments as',

you click in the option for BBCode before you press 'Add your comments'. From then on, BBCode will remain selected unless you manually change it. That's generally all there is to it. There is no real gain in having the text, or Html options selected.

If for some reason your quote does not look correct, words have gone into italics etc, then the most likely scenario is when editing the quote, you accidentally deleted part of the necessary code. The correct language you need to have in place is shown in this example:

[cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]....text123....

Note the quote and the cite at the beginning, then the [/cite] after the posters name, and then finally the [/quote] at the end of the post. The 'quote' sections are what puts it in the yellow box, the 'cite' sections are what seperates out the poster's name from the text. This is handy to do if you want to quote from a post that has already been quoted (the last thing anyone wants are long posts that are just continuation of quotes after quotes, as its repetitive, untidy and uses up unecessary space, so please seperate out the text you wish to highlight).

Please ask if anything is not clear, and feel free to use this thread to have a practice.

The board looks a lot more tidy, and easier to read posts, when people seperate out the quotes properly, so if you've not been sure on how it works, please give it a try. Thanks.

Links

There are two ways of posting links.

1. In the row above your comments box, there are a series of option boxes (bold, italic etc). The 2nd to last one should be a globe. Cick on that and it will ask you to paste in the link you wish to post. Click ok, and it will then ask you to add a link name (i normally enter as Click Here). Press ok again and the link will appear in your comments box. This is the best way as you keep the 'format comments as' ticked in BBCode, avoiding changing back and forth.
Sometimes when it is added, it can repeat any text you had wrote before the link was added. Simply delete that out to add repetition.

2. The other way is by copy and pasting the link address into the comments box, and then switching the 'Format comments as' over to 'Text'. This when published will show the full link and allow others to click on it. However its a bit untidy and you can forget to switch back to BBCode after.

Whisper

It is possible to send a private message to another user of the site. You can do this two ways.

1. Start a new discussion. Underneath the topic title there is a box headed 'Whisper your comments to (optional)'. In that box, type the User name of the intended recipient (predictive text will come up after a couple of letters). That discussion will only be seen by you and the person you are whispering. When you look at the main forum page, you will have [Private] in front of the title.

2. If you wish to whisper a comment to someone in the middle of an open thread, simply write their username in the Whisper your comments to (optional)' box above the text box.

Personally, i think the 2nd option is preferable. By doing the mid thread way, a notification will be highlighted at the top of the forum to your intended recipient, something that doesn't happen in the private discussion. If your recipient is not online for a while, and a number of new threads are started in the meantime, they may miss the discussion you sent them.

Note, to reply to a private message in either form, either type the username of who you want to reply to in the 'whisper box', or in the message they sent you there will be an option to 'whisper back'. Just click on that, and their name will be automatically transferred to the whisper box.

Feel free to use this thread for a play, and please ask any questions you're not sure about.

Heath Hero, see me after class........

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Seems to be quite a lot of users unaware of how the quoting option works, where it transfers text neatly into a yellow box, so hopefully this will help.

Once you have pressed 'quote' on someone else's post, the text will then be transferred to the main comments box.

In simple terms, to get it shown in the yellow quote box, all you have to do is make sure that in the row beneath the main comments box,

'Format comments as',

thanks AFKA, this is a test, sorry if it does not work

you click in the option for BBCode before you press 'Add your comments'. From then on, BBCode will remain selected unless you manually change it. That's generally all there is to it. There is no real gain in having the text, or Html options selected.

If for some reason your quote does not look correct, words have gone into italics etc, then the most likely scenario is when editing the quote, you accidentally deleted part of the necessary code. The correct language you need to have in place is shown in this example:

[cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite].text123.

Note the quote and the cite at the beginning, then the [/cite] after the posters name, and then finally the
    at the end of the post. The 'quote' sections are what puts it in the yellow box, the 'cite' sections are what seperates out the poster's name from the text. This is handy to do if you want to quote from a post that has already been quoted (the last thing anyone wants are long posts that are just continuation of quotes after quotes, as its repetitive, untidy and uses up unecessary space, so please seperate out the text you wish to highlight).

Please ask if anything is not clear, and feel free to use this thread to have a practice.

The board looks a lot more tidy, and easier to read posts, when people seperate out the quotes properly, so if you've not been sure on how it works, please give it a try. Thanks.[/quote]
  • Options
    Can I go to the toilet please sir?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Seems to be quite a lot of users unaware of how the quoting option works, where it transfers text neatly into a yellow box, so hopefully this will help.

'Format comments as',

see if this works
  • Options
    Excellent. thanks AFKA. Very helpful as i was one of those who didnt know how to quote. You should make this thread a Sticky.
  • Options
    Very difficult
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Can I go to the toilet please sir?

NO
  • Options

AFKA - would you repeat the instructions again
  • Options
    Can you tell me how to can get a quote from a previous page i.e after it clicks onto a second page.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Very difficult

NO

Can i quote?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bloodnut[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Very difficult

NO

Can i quote?!

Yes i can, nice one afka.
    But im not gunna use my quotes willy nilly..........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]Can you tell me how to can get a quote from a previous page i.e after it clicks onto a second page.

Very good question. I think that this is the main problem AFKA.

Apart from that, if there are no benefits to the options other than 'BBC Code' why not get rid of them? Then people wouldn't have to even think about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ['Can you tell me how to can get a quote from a previous page i.e after it clicks onto a second page.'

---------

Sorry mate, i did type this out the afternoon, but the site crashed and i lost it.

At present, if a thread is on Page Two then you can't automatically carry a quote over to the following page. What you can do though is recreate the quote in your comments box when you go to post. Its a bit fiddly, but if you follow the format takes seconds.

Copy the text that you wish to quote, then in you comments box write in the following:

[quote][cite]Posted By: whoever it was [/cite] Paste the text in here [/quote]

The important thing to remember is to have two quotes and two cites, and make sure to include a / in the last one of both. Failing that, you could quote from another post on page two, then edit the name of the poster and paste over the text of the post.

As said, a bit fiddly, but doesn't add too much time.
  • Options
    Its also worth adding that once you've pressed the Add Your Comments box, if when you view your post it doesn't look right, the quote has come out wrong, or not ticked in BBCode, you can always go back and edit it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Its also worth adding that once you've pressed the Add Your Comments box, if when you view your post it doesn't look right, the quote has come out wrong, or not ticked in BBCode, you can always go back and edit it.

fingers crossed
  • Options
    wey-hey i've done it for the first time!

life has purpose!! ;-p
  • Options
    You can conquer the world now Boggsy !!
  • Options
    Hallelujiah! :-D
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]Hallelujiah! :-D

Just checking
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]['Can you tell me how to can get a quote from a previous page i.e after it clicks onto a second page.'

Sorry mate, i did type this out the afternoon, but the site crashed and i lost it.

At present, if a thread is on Page Two then you can't automatically carry a quote over to the following page. What you can do though is recreate the quote in your comments box when you go to post. Its a bit fiddly, but if you follow the format takes seconds.

Copy the text that you wish to quote, then in you comments box write in the following:
    [cite]Posted By: whoever it was [/cite] Paste the text in here

The important thing to remember is to have two quotes and two cites, and make sure to include a / in the last one of both. Failing that, you could quote from another post on page two, then edit the name of the poster and paste over the text of the post.

As said, a bit fiddly, but doesn't add too much time.

I don't have those brackets on my keyboard so I'll use your other idea. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    tested and edited
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]tested and edited

cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Oi, leave your quote s willy out of this Bloodnut
  • Options
    bump for newbies
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Quoting

Seems to be quite a lot of users unaware of how the quoting option works, where it transfers text neatly into a yellow box, so hopefully this will help.

'Format comments as',

you click in the option forBBCodebefore you press 'Add your comments'. From then on, BBCode will remain selected unless you manually change it. That's generally all there is to it. There is no real gain in having the text, or Html options selected.

[cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]....text123....

Note the quote and the cite at the beginning, then the after the posters name, and then finally the at the end of the post. The 'quote' sections are what puts it in the yellow box, the 'cite' sections are what seperates out the poster's name from the text. This is handy to do if you want to quote from a post that has already been quoted (the last thing anyone wants are long posts that are just continuation of quotes after quotes, as its repetitive, untidy and uses up unecessary space, so please seperate out the text you wish to highlight).

The board looks a lot more tidy, and easier to read posts, when people seperate out the quotes properly, so if you've not been sure on how it works, please give it a try. Thanks.

Links

There are two ways of posting links.

1. In the row above your comments box, there are a series of option boxes (bold, italic etc). The 2nd to last one should be a globe. Cick on that and it will ask you to paste in the link you wish to post. Click ok, and it will then ask you to add a link name (i normally enter as Click Here). Press ok again and the link will appear in your comments box. This is the best way as you keep the 'format comments as' ticked in BBCode, avoiding changing back and forth.
    Sometimes when it is added, it can repeat any text you had wrote before the link was added. Simply delete that out to add repetition.

2. The other way is by copy and pasting the link address into the comments box, and then switching the 'Format comments as' over to 'Text'. This when published will show the full link and allow others to click on it. However its a bit untidy and you can forget to switch back to BBCode after.

Feel free to use this thread for a play, and please ask any questions you're not sure about.

Heath Hero, see me after class........

did that work?
  • Options
    Yeehaw as George bush might say!
  • Options
    yep,

what is 'good ettiquette' though is when you are quoting to just edit it down to the bits you want to highlight / comment on, rather than simply copy and quoting a whole post.

class over !
  • Options
    Question. When putting in a link how do you give it a name rather than just the full link www.jhaot00f]f.com bit?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Question. When putting in a link how do you give it a name rather than just the full link www.jhaot00f]f.com bit?

see point 1 under links above
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Question. When putting in a link how do you give it a name rather than just the full link www.jhaot00f]f.com bit?

see point 1 under links above

OK, got it (I think)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]bump for newbies

wonder if it really works tho ;)