Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How the Forum works.........How to Quote, do Links, and Whisper Properly

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: 2nd Division & Proud[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]bump for newbies

wonder if it really works tho ;)

apparently so - thanks :))
  • Options
    Can I just say... please can everyone think before they quote. There is no need to quote *everytime* you post. There are lots of cases where people are quoting the comment directly above. It gets messy and doesn't aid in reading. In fact it hinders clarity as everything is repeated. Just be mindful, and if in doubt, don't quote! I spend a hell of a lot of time editing posts with excessive quoting just for readibility's sake. Please, think of me and my sad life! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Can I just say... please can everyone think before they quote. There is no need to quote *everytime* you post. There are lots of cases where people are quoting the comment directly above. It gets messy and doesn't aid in reading. In fact it hinders clarity as everything is repeated. Just be mindful, and if in doubt, don't quote! I spend a hell of a lot of time editing posts with excessive quoting just for readibility's sake. Please, think of me and my sad life! ;-)

ok
    oops - sorry ;)
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited February 2009
    How do you post a link to open in a new tab or window?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Quoting

Seems to be quite a lot of users unaware of how the quoting option works, where it transfers text neatly into a yellow box, so hopefully this will help.

Once you have pressed 'quote' on someone else's post, the text will then be transferred to the main comments box.
    lets see if it works

by jove smudge your right
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Quoting

Seems to be quite a lot of users unaware of how the quoting option works, where it transfers text neatly into a yellow box, so hopefully this will help.

Once you have pressed 'quote' on someone else's post, the text will then be transferred to the main comments box.
    lets see if it works
    by jove smudge your right

Test.
  • Options
    Quoting doesnt seem to be working for me at the moment. I have BBCode selected but quoting (by anyone) isnt showing up in the yellow box anymore... it's just plain text with the quote tags around it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Quoting doesnt seem to be working for me at the moment. I have BBCode selected but quoting (by anyone) isnt showing up in the yellow box anymore... it's just plain text with the quote tags around it...

Just above the Who's Online bit on the left, is you Text Only Mode set to ON ? If it is, change it to OFF.

Is that it ?
  • Options
    or Medders, are you looking at it on your phone?

I know when I look on my phone the quote boxes don't appear.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Quoting doesnt seem to be working for me at the moment. I have BBCode selected but quoting (by anyone) isnt showing up in the yellow box anymore... it's just plain text with the quote tags around it...

Just above the Who's Online bit on the left, is you Text Only Mode set to ON ? If it is, change it to OFF.

Is that it ?

Beautiful... my little yellow boxes are back and all is good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]or Medders, are you looking at it on your phone?

I know when I look on my phone the quote boxes don't appear.

Thanks mate, you're a legend...
  • Options
    No probs
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]No probs

Oi shagger, leave it out!
  • Options
    I'm feeling suitably enlightened! CHEERS!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lost Soul[/cite]I'm feeling suitably enlightened! CHEERS!

Yes I can finally do this, cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]

It's like a party on Charlton life and every body is invited!

I also in recent weeks figured out BOLDING, ITALICS, LINKING, Even STRIKE THROUGHS

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]

It's like a party on Charlton life and every body is invited!

I also in recent weeks figured outBOLDING,ITALICS,LINKING, Even[strike]STRIKE THROUGHS[/strike]

hope thats right!

;o)
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
  • Options

ok i think thats right!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kakaka[/cite]

Yep easy stuff - BUT How Do you get links to open in new windows???
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kakaka[/cite]

Yep easy stuff -BUT[span]How[/span][span]Do[/span][span]you[/span][span]get[/span][span]links[/span][span]to[/span][span]open[/span][span]in[/span][span]new[/span][span]windows[/span]???
    No Idea, I just right click the link and open in new tab! - The colours dont work on mine :o( hence the [Span] crap above!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Right click on the link and choose 'Open in new window'
  • Options
    YES I KNOW THAT!!!!! But some swify smart arses on here can get there links to open in new windows/tabs without right clicking.

I'm Jealous!
  • Options
    Those are links made automatically by choosing Text mode and making sure to include the full "http://www"...
  • Options
    Okie Doke

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of

BTW - NSFW!
  • Options
    how do you do the strikethrough things then ??
    i need help desperatley ;0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pride_of_london[/cite]how do you do the strikethrough things then ??
    i need help desperatley ;0)
  • Options
    S

First, tick the BBC code box below in 'Format Comments'.

Second, highlight the word you want to strike through, then select the strike through symbol 'S' in the row of boxes above.
    And ........ et voila!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Leaving it in text mode for a minute to show you. Just put [s] before the bit you want to strike through and [/s] once you've finished. Most of the other formatting things work the same way:
    [b] Bold [/b]
    [i] Italic [/i]
    [u]Underline[/u]
    [s]strikethrough[/s]
    [quote] to get the yellow box for quoting [/quote]
    [cite] to explain who it is you are quoting [/cite]

You can just use the icons in BBCode, but it's useful to understand what the code actually looks like, for when you are quoting other people, so you don't end up with what you said wedged in the middle of someone else's text. The basic rule is for every set of square brackets you have, you need to have a closing one with a slash in it, else the formatting will carry on til the end of the comment.
  • Options
    Give me a break!!!