Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL Final: Man U or Chelski?

Comments

• Options
    People really seem to hate Lampard and Terry, Lampard in particular comes in for some really harsh comments, don't really know why people seem to hate him so much...oh wait it's because he didn't perform for England like the other 10 players on the pitch. Gerrard is far worse than Lampard imo and hardly gets criticised
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]People really seem to hate Lampard and Terry, Lampard in particular comes in for some really harsh comments, don't really know why people seem to hate him so much.

Largely jealousy BRE in my opinion. 99.9% of the people who 'hate' these individuals have never even had a conversation with them and base it largely on tabloid tat.

The low-end media has always delighted in knocking people down, and this has largely filtered through to the people.
  • Options
    I don't regularly read the tabloids. Do they "hate" Lampard and Terry? Perhaps I've not seen a representative sample of it, but I don't remember them getting set up by the media. In fact, I thought the press loved them (which might actually be part of the problem).
  • Options
    im not a fan of either jt or lampard but that also includes most players of the BIG FOUR because of their sheer arrogance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aylesfordaddick[/cite]im not a fan of either jt or lampard but that also includes most players of the BIG FOUR because of their sheer arrogance

Agree 100% aylesford. I have to say thoughthat if there were three players I wouldn't mind missing penalties , it would be the three that slipped up tonight.
  • Options
    I don't like Terry because he flat out LIED to everybody about what happened between him and Graham Poll in the Spurs - Chelsea game. There is no excuse for that and he has NEVER apologised for it. His general conduct towards officials is disgraceful. The 9/11 stuff was a long while ago and forgiveable because a lot of people do stupid things when they are young, especially after a few beers.
    As for Lampard, I don't have strong feelings either way towards him, if you hated every player that under-performed for England then you'd hate more than you liked.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Two things stand out for me. The comparison between Kenyon and Bobby Charlton on getting a medal. Why they were there in the first place i don't know, but Kenyon dipped like a sprinter to get the medal put round his neck, while Charlton point blank refused.

Well that sums up the two clubs for me. One led up by a 100% national hero, the other by........
  • Options
    On a more positive note I'm pleased for Ryan Giggs - it was his penalty that put Man U ahead and on the night that he broke the record for the most number of appearances for the club. I think that's his 20th medal - some achievement.

Those knocking Terry should remember that at least he stepped up to take one of the penalties.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    first 27 mins was a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz then game was Ok. Some one has to miss or the Pen saved. No real feelings one way or another re Terry.

Lampard always used to give it BillyBigBollox to the fans PRE him geting grief. Remember when he scored in last min at The Valley and run along the Covered End taking the piss ? The arm punching F**k U signs ? which he has done on many grounds. He might give it that he is geting stick but that boy gave it out and now his media buudies are asking "why poor Frank?". Sorry about the loss of his mum but many have to deal with sudden loss and they dont have the legions of support he has had.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]On a more positive note I'm pleased for Ryan Giggs - it was his penalty that put Man U ahead and on the night that he broke the record for the most number of appearances for the club. I think that's his 20th medal - some achievement.

Those knocking Terry should remember that at least he stepped up to take one of the penalties.

I agree, not Terry's greatest fan but felt a bit for him as you could see how much it meant to him.......now Ashley Cole on the other hand, surely I can't have been the only person willing him to miss !!

Giggs is absolute class.....enough said
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hate John Terry with a passion he;s everything what is wrong with modern day football. he's the worst example to have as a captain with his haranging of referees etc and for him to miss the penalty is poetic justice BUT can also feel sorry for himbecause you could see how much it meant to him

BUT I do make AFKA right when he plays he is a lion and would always have him in the team just wish he would cut out parts of his game. off the field he's got a lot lot better,

as for franky lampard I just can;t see why people don't like the bloke. 20 goals a season fro the past 4 seasons from midfield is fantastic.

Who the geezer on here who reckons Giggs is shit - 10 prem titles 2 european cup Man U's record attendance holder - a magnificent player for 17 years at the very top of his trade - even you must hold your hands up - who is it - MCS???
  • Options
    MCS classic that is - "Giggs is the most overrated player to ever play football" or something along those lines
  • Options
    Ask Ray Parlour, Nigel Winterburn, Lee dixon et al about THAT goal against the gooners...

Sheer class.

But as most rightly say, it's how much he's done that makes him one of the best players to grace the premiership..

Re last night- if anyone deserves a bit of pee taking regarding a penalty miss then Anelka surely because, as far as it seems to me, and before someone says it, no i don't know him (but he has had more clubs than the average rubbish golfer) he has no allegience to any club unless they are paying squillions for his wages
  • Options
    I think Terry's on field persona is part of the player he is - white-line fever and all that. Roy Keane was the same, down to veins bulging in the neck and believing that every dodgy refereeing decision was a sign of incompetence or conspiracy, managers like Ferguson and Mourhino trade on that kind of spirit and develop a siege mentality amongst their squad, I guess that's the only way you can really motivate players who earn millions every year. These are players we love to hate, while wishing that they played for our team.

And yes it is Olly/MCS that doesn't rate Giggs.
  • Options
    as for franky lampard I just can;t see why people don't like the bloke. 20 goals a season fro the past 4 seasons from midfield is fantastic.

Agreed, he's been one of the best midfielders in European football for the last few years, just look at the clubs who want to sign him if/wjen he moves on from Chelsea. I presume the dislike is down to two things - that he earns squillions and his club performances are invariably better than his performances for his country. As he stepped up to take the pen I remembered the last time I saw him in a spot kick shoot-out - For England vs Portugal in the last WC, then he looked nervous and duly missed, last night he buried his lick with ease, coincidence?

Chelsea play to his strengths and shore up his weaknesses, something the England set-up didn't do, so I can see why a lot of non-Chelsea fans are less than overwhelmed by him when he isn't playing for his club.
  • Options
    Surprised to see the anti-Terry stuff on here

what wouldn't we give for a captain, let alone a defender, like him

thought he was magnificent last night

held Chelsea together when they could have crumbled first half and obviously gave the half-time talk to end all half-time talks (am making the obvious assumption that Grant would not have been capable of doing that)

really wanted him to slot home the winning penalty

he's English and proud - what more do you want...
  • Options
    JOHN TEARY.

I think AFKA people get rather peeved at players like frank lampard turning down a125,000k a week might be a touch of jealousy as most people would be happy with that sort of dosh.

And sorry if this sounds really harsh but frank you've made your point... you need to give up the pointing to heaven bit now when you score a goal. Im sure i wasnt the only one who cringed at that and him mouthing those words.
  • Options
    I have to say i thought the game itself was superb played at the right pace and showed the rest of the world what a great game the English game can be!!

I thought some of the passing close and long distance wassuperb and rooneys cross field ball to ronaldo for tevez chance was something else.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]off the field he's got a lot lot better

I live quite near their training ground in Cobham and so we often see a few of them driving around. Terry has got a large Escalade or similar with a personalised number plate "JT1". There was a photo of it in the local rag not two long ago when he was parked outside Pizza Express in a disabled parking space for two hours while they all had lunch...
  • Options
    I'm with BFR, had the Ronaldo miss cost them I would have pissed myself laughing.

Detestable little shit!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]I'm with BFR, had the Ronaldo miss cost them I would have pissed myself laughing.

Detestable little shit!

He may be detestable but feck my old boots the bloke can play. Some of his tricks to get past Essien, one of the best tacklers around (albeit not a natural full-back) were unreal. I thought they should have played him on the right where he would have minced Cashley something rotten.
  • Options
    people mention (rightly so) giggs, but i can't help feeling pleased for scholes last night, after he missed out in 1999.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]people mention (rightly so) giggs, but i can't help feeling pleased for scholes last night, after he missed out in 1999.

there was no way he was leaving the field after 20 mins that's for sure...
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I thought they should have played him on the right where he would have minced Cashley something rotten.

as Ferguson did in the FA Cup Final he deliberately played Ronaldo on the left as a ploy to AVOID Ashley Cole... who has shown himself for Club and Country to be capable of smothering Ronaldo and keeping him quiet

instead, Chelsea were playing one of the world's best gut-busting midfielders (Essien) at RB to accommodate Makalele into the team (who showed himself to be a little shit!)... personally with Makalele ageing i think Essien can match him defensively and far outstrip him in an attacking sense

just shows... all that money (£15m on Ferreira and £3m on Belletti) and they could'nt manage a half-decent RB as Abramovich refused to shell out the dosh for Alves! Wonder how £16m on Bosingwa will help next season...
  • Options
    What about Gigg`s shot from inside his own half at The Valley in the 3 v 3 game?I wish it would have gone straight in rather than hiting the cross bar and Sloska puting the rebound in. That would have had to be the greatest goal i have seen for or against us.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't care what Ollie says (for once), as a football fan I love Giggsy and am pleased to have seen his whole illustrious career in full.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I thought they should have played him on the right where he would have minced Cashley something rotten.[/quote]

just shows... all that money (£15m on Ferreira and £3m on Belletti) and they could'nt manage a half-decent RB as Abramovich refused to shell out the dosh for Alves! Wonder how £16m on Bosingwa will help next season...[/quote]

Bosingwa is meant to be quite good. Will be good to see Essien playing in his natural position as he is one of the best in the world. Actually seems a likable bloke as well compared to most of the Chelsea team.

Don't know whether Grant will stay but Chelsea aren't really that far behind Man Utd, if they had Drogba fit and motivated for most of the season they would've won the title imo.
  • Options
    BRE Drogba is clearly class but in the same way as Eto'o i wouldn't want him anywhere near my 'team'
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think if Ronaldo had scored his penalty, the ref would have made him re-take it. A stuttering run up is allowed, stopping totally, as he did, is not.

I don't understand the vitriol towards Terry, although he does moan too much, but then most of the "top" players seem to. Lampard did himself no favours with his "poor little me" attitude in his book, or by falling over outside the penalty area when we played them in the last game of the season a few years back...

Very happy to see that money grabbing mercenary Anelka miss. He is a great example of what is wrong with football, no loyalty or pride, just goes where the biggest pay cheque is.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Football fans have long memories and the 9/11 stuff offended a lot of people.

Also, as pointed out by Goonerhater, the reaction of these players to opposition fans in the past is hardly calculated to win friends and influence people. Those of us old enough to remember Chelsea before Moneybags arrived also used to see them as London rivals of Charlton which makes their defeat that bit sweeter.