Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL Final: Man U or Chelski?

124»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]people mention (rightly so) giggs, but i can't help feeling pleased for scholes last night, after he missed out in 1999.

Scholes is a proper footballer. The only thing he can be criticised for in my opinion is not singing the National Anthem.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Perhaps he is a republican?

What's the 9/11 reference Len?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Perhaps he is a republican?

What's the 9/11 reference Len?[/quote]

The day of September 11 Chelsea were at Heathrow catching a flight somewhere to play in a European tie the next day. All flights were cancelled, Terry, along with Eidur Gudjohnson and Jody Morris then went into a bar, got drunk and then offended a bunch of American tourists. (There are variations on this story, all involve John Terry and he was subsequently fined by the club). Plus there have been enough stories of fights in night-clubs on drinking sprees etc.
  • Options
    Scholes may or may not be a republican, Phil Neville refuses to sing the NA before internationals and cites that as his reason.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Scholes may or may not be a republican, Phil Neville refuses to sing the NA before internationals and cites that as his reason.

Fair enough. Personally I wouldn't sing it because it is a truely awful song!
  • Options
    This article has a bit about the 9/11 stuff which involved both Lampard and Terry.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article3867299.ece
  • Options
    We all mistakes and have done things which in hindsight were foolish or even downright stupid, I'd give Lampard and Terry some credit for knuckling down and turning themselves into great footballers. Note that Jody Morris who participated in that drinking incident on Sept 11 went from Premiership to the Championship and is now playing in Scotland. He didn't mature or move-on.
  • Options
    maybe scholes dont want to see a song that centres on one person ,land and hope and im sure scholes might sing it,neville was the same and gazza.bleeding germans!
  • Options
    I think that Scholes is actually mute.
  • Options
    dont say much does he.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as Ferguson did in the FA Cup Final he deliberately played Ronaldo on the left as a ploy to AVOID Ashley Cole... who has shown himself for Club and Country to be capable of smothering Ronaldo and keeping him quiet
    [/quote]

I think you are being a bit generous there ISLS, sure, Ronaldo had a quiet game in the 2007 FACF but that was a very tight, sterile game and nobody stood out. He may not have had brilliant games against England either in the EC04 or WC06 but I think its a stretch to say Cole smothered him.
    I just think on current form with 41 goals and all the momentum that goes with it he should have been let loose at Cole because that's his natural side of the field and he did not seem as comfortable on the left and it does not seem to make sense to play your best player out of position.
    I do not rate Cole as a defender and I think he only gets his England spot because his rivals (Bridge and Shorey) are worse than he is. He is good on the ball, that's for sure, but his defensive positioning and instincts are a million miles from real top class left backs like Pearce or Winterburn who could both defend.
  • Options
    Defensively Shorey, Cole and Bridge are much of a muchness, Cole looks better going forward and has a bit more pace than the others.
  • Options
    not that I rate Cole Ormiston, but just think he has had the Indian sign over Ronaldo in all their big head to heads and Fergie seemingly knew it...