Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Urge club to offer kit choice?

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
I don't know if this has already been discussed but having just got back off holiday and seen the new kits, is there something we can do to get them changed?

I remember that happened with Le Coq Sportif a few seasons back when there was a backlash at the the original design and the club offered 5or6 alternatves that we could vote on. The end result was one of the best kits we've had in years.
If you look at the Joma webiste, there's at least 2 shirts that have a far better design than the one we're lumbered with.
(Personally I think the 'Extremo' design from page 8 of the 'teamwear catalogue' is the best:http://www.jomauk.com/teamwear_catalogue.asp)

http://www.soccernetstore.com/departments-teamwear-other-brand-jerseys-joma-extremo-soccer-kit--red-blk-.html

I wonder if this is something Henry could put to the club?

Comments

• Options
    I like that too............Henry????

Mind you........I won't buy it, but thats not the point ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This would be a much better home (with white shorts) and away option, IMO - and wouldn't waste time on a big redesign. Surely we could push for these designs??

Come on Henry - can you ask the club?
  • Options
    Simple, if you don't like them, don't buy them. The club will get the message pretty soon.
  • Options
    I just reckon the kits they've released are bloody woeful.
    What's that saying: 'Dress for the job you want, not the one you have'
    If we run out in the shirts modelled by Hudson and Wagstaff then we'll be dressing for League 1.

Besides that, Charlton has always been a club that listens to supporters. This is another opportunity for them to back up that claim.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If you want to start a petition or a campaign to get the shirts changed then go ahead. I'll pass any views on or you can contact the club direct via the OS but I won't support it and for a number of reasons.

Firstly it's just a shirt. I don't buy them for myself as I don't think adults wearing them looks that clever but it's an optional buy, you don't have to have one to get behind the team or be a fan so buy or don't.

You may like some of the other Joma kits but others will dislike those as much as they like these ones so the problem then starts all over again. Organising a vote in the close season is going to be very time consuming as well.

Secondly what you saw was used to promote the new sponsor. It wasn't the new kit launch which is still to come.

I've seen the new kits close up and they look OK (to me but I don't wear replica kits) and they have a few added details that wouldn't have been picked up in the pictures that were shown and a few changes such as the badge size on the away shirt. Pardew has seen the kits and likes them. OK that won't be a selling point for a lot of you but just remember it's the players who actually have to wear them to work so the managers view is significant.

Last but not least a new kit or kits is a big income generator for the club and campaigning to get it scrapped isn't going to do the cash flow any favours. As I understand it the kits have already been made up for some time and have been sitting in a factory somewhere waiting for the sponsors name to be added. Scrapping the kit now would be very expensive and time consuming and mean that any new shirt wouldn't be in the shops for months.

If you want a vote when the next new kit is launched then contact the club around December before the launch as that is when the production line has to be booked to fit into the factory's schudules. Personally I can't see a manufactuer allowing possible designs to be seen in advance for commercial reasons. We did it but quite a few years ago. Also I don't remember that being as a result of any backlash to an original shirt.

The alternative is to take existing designs out of the catalogue but that means that Charlton will not have a unique kit. People have already been complaining that the kit is "championship" whatever that means but taking it from a catalouge would put us on the level of a park side which buys an addidas or nike kit out of a book to look like Chelsea or Man U. Is that what we want?
  • Options
    I don't know what the problem is with the new kits. It's a bit like marmite you either love 'em or hate 'em.

I think both kits are good and I agree with Henry that no matter what a new kit is like some will like it and some will hate it.

The answer is simple, like it you might buy it, don't like it you won't.
  • Options
    what henry said about a teamwear kit, the home is actually a teamwear kit, from last season's catalouge, as was our white joma away and our black away from last year is now in this seasons teamwear catalouge
  • Options
    Last years unsold replica shirts the club have returned ....?

;o)
  • Options
    I was going to buy both my boys them but am giving them a swerve. I'm not paying £100 for a kit that *looks* like a Championship kit.

Championship kit = cheap looking, designed by an 4 year old, crappy looking sponsors logo.

Plus isn't this sponsor only for a year anyway?

Brilliant.
  • Options
    Hmmm...some good points Henry and if a change in design is going to cause the club problems, then I wouldn't want that.
    Perhaps in future it might be innovative to let supporters choose, in December, from a sample of say 4 designs.
    Just an idea tho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I was going to buy both my boys them but am giving them a swerve. I'm not paying £100 for a kit that *looks* like a Championship kit.

Championship kit = cheap looking, designed by an 4 year old, crappy looking sponsors logo.

Plus isn't this sponsor only for a year anyway?

Brilliant.

That's fine.

All I would say is wait until the kit is launched and people have had a chance to see it close up before deciding if it is cheap looking. If people still don't like it then all well and good, don't buy it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Hmmm...some good points Henry and if a change in design is going to cause the club problems, then I wouldn't want that.
    Perhaps in future it might be innovative to let supporters choose, in December, from a sample of say 4 designs.
    Just an idea tho.

Write to Michael.rea@cafc.co.uk and suggest it but I think there will be other commercial considerations that make it difficult.
  • Options
    OK, will do.
    Cheers
  • Options
    You're right Henry, but in the past I have spent £100+ only to find the tops not manufactured properly and then the sponsors logos peeling off etc etc It's just a never ending Zzzzz when it comes to our kits and has been going on for sooo long. . . . . . (We even sold a snidey yellow thing for the Forest away game once!! I mean really come on!!!)

It makes me wonder how much time is spent on this??, considering it does earn the club a few quid.

I'm all for being ripped off when it comes to kits!

I dont mind!!, but put some bloody effort into ripping me off!! lol
  • Options
    That was my point falconwood_1.

What do you think of the two kits I posted above? Personally I think they look far better and they're just catalogue kits. The designer who knocked out our latest shirts must have been on crack or something. They're so over designed and weird.
    I'll stick my neck out here but I reckon most, if not all, supporters would prefer the kit above - regardless of it being from the Joma catalgoue - to what we've been given.
  • Options
    I like the new kits. Can't see the club changing them.

Didn't like the black kit glad to see it go.
  • Options
    Grown adults worrying about what the kit is like...

They could play in full bondage gear next season for all I care as long as they get in the top 6.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to buy a bondage replica kit, although it depended what the trim looked like :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]That was my point falconwood_1.

What do you think of the two kits I posted above? Personally I think they look far better and they're just catalogue kits. The designer who knocked out our latest shirts must have been on crack or something. They're so over designed and weird.
    I'll stick my neck out here but I reckon most, if not all, supporters would prefer the kit above - regardless of it being from the Joma catalgoue - to what we've been given.

But the same issues that Falconwood 1 describes would apply regardless of which kit you picked from the catalogue.

The sponsors name came off my son's kit and the shop replaced it no question's asked and they did the same for plenty of others as well.
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Grown adults worrying about what the kit is like...

They could play in full bondage gear next season for all I care as long as they get in the top 6.

I'm with you Southend although for commercial reasons I say buy, buy, buy. : -)

The seahawk and denim shirt was hated by many on here at least but it flew off the shelves. I hated the centenary kits but that sold as well.

[cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]I wouldn't want to buy a bondage replica kit, although it depended what the trim looked like :-)

Would you prefer leather or rubber? : - )
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me lol - but apart from the mid-90's white/black away kit and a similar one for Curbs' last season,
    I thought the seahawk/denim was the most attractive away strip we'd had since Lennie's days.

Evidently so did others if it flew off the shelves.

Would be happy if it was the 2nd strip this season. Many good away wins in that kit last year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I liked the seahwak/denim kit too and of course there'll always be someone who dislikes the kit whatever choice we make. Perhaps the club rather than foisting a design on us, could offer a choice of two/three different designs...
  • Options
    It was because of the seahawk and denim kit that I did my whole house in seahawk blue. I mean who had ever heard of seahawk before Joma brought it to the world??? ;-0

I like the new kits, and I like Joma. I like all the kits they've done and I like that they are produced by a family business in Spain. More power to them.
  • Options
    And don't forget the Seahawk & Denim was 'inspired' by the strip Charlton wore in the 20's for a season, when they played at Catford.

So based on Charlton history, at least.
  • Options
    They were actually Catford Southend's colours and part of an attempt to extinguish Charlton's identity altogether.

Incidentally, what does "fastest selling" mean in terms of kits. Who cares how fast they sell? It's the aggregate sale that matters.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]It was because of the seahawk and denim kit that I did my whole house in seahawk blue. I mean who had ever heard of seahawk before Joma brought it to the world??? ;-0

I like the new kits, and I like Joma. I like all the kits they've done and I like that they are produced by a family business in Spain. More power to them.
    The Charlton kit is made in China.
  • Options
    I like the new kits as well. I won't be buying one though, at least for a season or two as I finally bought my first ever shirt on the last game of the season - a) there was one my size and b) they were selling them off cheap.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to getting my first Charlton shirt. I think they look good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Grown adults worrying about what the kit is like...

I think this should be suggested to paul Mortimer and his charges
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

I think this should be suggested to paul Mortimer and his charges

please God no !!!!!
  • Options
    From a commercial point of view I think demoting the Seahawk blue and denim kit to third choice was a big mistake....I think its our best away shirt ever despite the historical attachment. I will certainly buy another one this season assuming we have another batch made with the new sponsors name. They sold out of adult sizes before the Southampton game. Not keen on the new kits, especially the white one, but will wait and see them close up before I decide if I want to buy or not.