Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Urge club to offer kit choice?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]The Charlton kit is made in China.

Don't ruin the illusion!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]That was my point falconwood_1.

What do you think of the two kits I posted above? Personally I think they look far better and they're just catalogue kits. The designer who knocked out our latest shirts must have been on crack or something. They're so over designed and weird.
    I'll stick my neck out here but I reckon most, if not all, supporters would prefer the kit above - regardless of it being from the Joma catalgoue - to what we've been given.

I for one disagree with you. I really like the new kits. Nevertheless, even not liking the kit is no reason for so much fuss. As long as the team plays well does it really matter?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If you want to start a petition or a campaign to get the shirts changed then go ahead. I'll pass any views on or you can contact the club direct via the OS but I won't support it and for a number of reasons.

Firstly it's just a shirt. I don't buy them for myself as I don't think adults wearing them looks that clever but it's an optional buy, you don't have to have one to get behind the team or be a fan so buy or don't.

You may like some of the other Joma kits but others will dislike those as much as they like these ones so the problem then starts all over again. Organising a vote in the close season is going to be very time consuming as well.

Secondly what you saw was used to promote the new sponsor. It wasn't the new kit launch which is still to come.

I've seen the new kits close up and they look OK (to me but I don't wear replica kits) and they have a few added details that wouldn't have been picked up in the pictures that were shown and a few changes such as the badge size on the away shirt. Pardew has seen the kits and likes them. OK that won't be a selling point for a lot of you but just remember it's the players who actually have to wear them to work so the managers view is significant.

Last but not least a new kit or kits is a big income generator for the club and campaigning to get it scrapped isn't going to do the cash flow any favours. As I understand it the kits have already been made up for some time and have been sitting in a factory somewhere waiting for the sponsors name to be added. Scrapping the kit now would be very expensive and time consuming and mean that any new shirt wouldn't be in the shops for months.

If you want a vote when the next new kit is launched then contact the club around December before the launch as that is when the production line has to be booked to fit into the factory's schudules. Personally I can't see a manufactuer allowing possible designs to be seen in advance for commercial reasons. We did it but quite a few years ago. Also I don't remember that being as a result of any backlash to an original shirt.

The alternative is to take existing designs out of the catalogue but that means that Charlton will not have a unique kit. People have already been complaining that the kit is "championship" whatever that means but taking it from a catalouge would put us on the level of a park side which buys an addidas or nike kit out of a book to look like Chelsea or Man U. Is that what we want?

Well said that man. This hits the proverbial nail right on the head. Whatever the club did they're not going to be able to keep everyone happy and whilst I'm not exactly a fan of the new kits I'll still end up getting one to support my team. It's too late to change things now but if people feel that strongly then as Ben suggests put it to them for next time. With the sponsorship deal that has been signed and if we get promoted, we'll probably end up with new new kits the season after next anyway! So get your feedback and you never know. ;-)) The club is generally quite good at listening to us lot so they will take the comments on board. Just remember to be constructive with the criticism.
  • Options
    I've just checked the poll on the new kits and nearly 70% of people liked one or both of the kits, so I don't think the club have done too bad. Majority of people on this small pole seemed to be happy and as Ben has said the new kits close up have a few added details that wouldn't have been picked up in the pictures. In other words wait until you've seen 'em up close before you pass judgement.

In any case....they could be growers! Bit like my missus. ;-)
  • Options
    Whatever we individually think of the new kits we are stuck with them. However there might be lessons that can be learned. As previously said, Charlton are generally good at listening and perhaps they now have the time to arrange for the fans involvement in the design of the next kit in I guess two years time. I personally favour a return to a predominantly red home shirt and likewise predominatly white way kit. A return of the White with red shoulders would be welcomed by many, in any case I think we should have more say in the kit than some guy in a design studio in Spain.
  • Options
    Quote"The sponsors name came off my son's kit and the shop replaced it no question's asked and they did the same for plenty of others as well".

The proplem is that us oversea fans who buy the kits cant just take back down to the club shop when things peel off as it cost so much in postage. So what do we do. My son is proud to wear the shirts, but a lot of the time it looks cheap when this seasons shirt is peeling.
  • Options
    It's only a kit mate, what real difference does it make?
    I don't care if they wore 1920's style as long as they win in it!

Get a grip man the new kit looks OK
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcinperth[/cite]Quote"The sponsors name came off my son's kit and the shop replaced it no question's asked and they did the same for plenty of others as well".

The proplem is that us oversea fans who buy the kits cant just take back down to the club shop when things peel off as it cost so much in postage. So what do we do. My son is proud to wear the shirts, but a lot of the time it looks cheap when this seasons shirt is peeling.

I haven't got an answer for that. Try michael.rea@cafc.co.uk and see if he can offer you something.

I thought it was just one bad batch where the sponsor peeled badly rather then every shirt. Certainly the one my son has now seem OK
  • Options
    Southendaddick CommentTime1 day ago permalinkquote
    Grown adults worrying about what the kit is like...

They could play in full bondage gear next season for all I care as long as they get in the top 6.

You'd moan your bollocks off too mate if you'd spent out £100+ to find the kids couldnt get their heads through the bloody tops because they were manufactured wrongly.

Half this lot played like they were in straight jackets anyhow. . . .

Can't we get a 3rd green and white hoops top for DFT?
  • Options
    The away kit should be black with an orange sash.......bowler hat optional..;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've clearly misjudged the general view on the kits then....haha

Personaly, I think they're bunk but it seems we're stuck with them now. I like ShootersHilGuru's suggestion of 'fans involvement in the design of the next kit' and while not everyone will agree, if 70% vote for one design over another, say 3, then that would be a democratic way of choosing the design.

Can you suggest this to the club Henry?
  • Options
    Valley11, i know moaning about kits is an anal thing to do, but i'm with you 100%. The kit designer should put 2-4 prototypes together, and these wshould be liaised with club and fans alike, either but a big vote or even just from some form of focus group to pick up a consensus.

It would only be to the benefit of the club, which should always be the goal.
  • Options
    You're right AFKA and it's not about moaning for the sake of it either.

The club should make a lot of cash out of these kits but there always seems to make some kind of mistake and the PR from it is bad.

It's not anal to a young kid who is under peer pressure to support Chelsea, Arsenal et al.

I shall be passing the hat around The Oak at the 1st game for donations towards buying the wretched things!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Kit looks a bit better here (sponsor in white)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I've clearly misjudged the general view on the kits then....haha

Personaly, I think they're bunk but it seems we're stuck with them now. I like ShootersHilGuru's suggestion of 'fans involvement in the design of the next kit' and while not everyone will agree, if 70% vote for one design over another, say 3, then that would be a democratic way of choosing the design.

Ipswich Town do this before releasing their new kits and have done so for the past 7/8 years. The only reason I know is my step Dad is a huge fan and told me the other evening.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I've clearly misjudged the general view on the kits then....haha

email Mike Rea and/or Steve Sutherland with a constructive suggestion and they will consider it although personally I think there may be other commercial and confidentiality considerations which may make the idea of a vote difficult if not impossible.

Ipswich used to produce their own kits but I didn't know they voted on them. From memory this hasn't stopped them having some shockers in recent years but as I've said I don't like replica shirt full stop.

As for the picture's looking better I did say higher up that the kit hasn't been launched yet and people should perhaps wait until they have seen the kits before making a final decision.
  • Options
    "As for the picture's looking better I did say higher up that the kit hasn't been launched yet and people should perhaps wait until they have seen the kits before making a final decision."

If that's the case Ben, then why didn't they wait 'til they had the 'final' kit to show supporters. You said Joma have had the kits made up for some time and have been sitting in a factory somewhere waiting for the sponsors name to be added.
    On the OS it clearly says: 'The announcement was made on Friday morning as the two new kits that the Addicks will wear during the 2008/09 Championship campaign were unveiled.'

Surely these are the final kits then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]"As for the picture's looking better I did say higher up that the kit hasn't been launched yet and people should perhaps wait until they have seen the kits before making a final decision."

If that's the case Ben, then why didn't they wait 'til they had the 'final' kit to show supporters. You said Joma have had the kits made up for some time and have been sitting in a factory somewhere waiting for the sponsors name to be added.
    On the OS it clearly says: 'The announcement was made on Friday morning as the two new kits that the Addicks will wear during the 2008/09 Championship campaign were unveiled.'

Surely these are the final kits then?

The photoshoot's primary function was to announce the new SPONSORS.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think a lot of us are enthusiastic as fans about the club and just about everything it does and sometimes this can come across as moaning about the club - so I'd just like to say to anyone who's reading that enthusiasm is what I think motivates a lot of views on here.

Not everyone is going to like the kit each year, but there are two things I'd like to say about this

Some years back the club were committed (rightly in my view) to not overwhelming fans pockets by producing a new home kit each year. We are now in a position where kit indeed kits change at least once a year. There are probably financial reasons for this I just think its a shame we are no longer able to do this.

We all understand the clubs requirement to be commercial and 'exploit' revenue streams, so it is puzzling we no longer do (publicised) market research on shirts. This was a many edged sword in my view, it marketed the shirts, got some idea of fans choices, and gave fans ownership, it was also a good PR exercise for a listening club - the result surely being to optimise sales.

R
  • Options
    Razil - exactly my point. I'm not having a moan or criticising anyone on here. I just think it'd make sense to have some kind of dialogue with supporters about the kit design.
    Many people have given the argument 'I don't buy the kits but...' and I should imagine Steve Waggott and Richard Murray don't wear the shirt to games but many of us do.
    I just think getting a consensus on a preferred design would be a good idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing to consider tho, is that, like the Valley Flags for instance, people are encouraged to get involved, choices are offered up and about 3 people vote on them. Once they are produced, however, everybody and their uncle has an opinion!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think if the voting procedure was made simple enough on the OS then plenty of people would vote on a new kit design.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I think if the voting procedure was made simple enough on the OS then plenty of people would vote on a new kit design.[/quote]

We did this once before, and it proved very popular.

What kit was it for, anyone remember ???

May of been the Mesh ones
  • Options
    I think the big problem is the sponsor and not the shirt. If you chucked Sony or Vodaphone on the front they'd look fine. We're a Championship club with a Championship sponsor. Our kit is going to look a bit Championship, get over it.

I don't think it's a nice kit myself and I won't buy it. As others have said there's no more effective way of getting your views over. The sad fact is that there are plenty folk who'll hand over their fifty quid AND whine which does nobody any good.
  • Options
    I don't think not buying the shirt will make any difference - enough will be sold as many people like the new design. As it happens, I won't be as I think it's rubbish, but the best way to get a change in the way we chose the kit in future must be to have constructive dialgoue with the club.

I'm going to email them now as I reckon there's enough feeling abuot this for it to be a worthy point.
  • Options
    AFKA I think it was the 2000-02 home shirt?
  • Options
    Think it was the 2002-03 kit. Best kit we've had in years.
  • Options
    was this one

7662_1.JPG

as i remember it there were 4 choices but this wasn't even a choice, it was made up of bits from a couple of them
  • Options
    I think the other 3 were so bad, that there was only going to be one winner.
  • Options
    I think it's fairly obvious what most fans want from a kit - simplicity.

We basically want a plain-ish red shirt with white shorts (perhaps some red trim) and reds socks.

It's all the naff collars (that rubbish 'vicar' collar a couple of seasons back), swishes and asymmetric lines that balls it up!