Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pictures of Rooney smoking

Comments

• Options
    Typical woman, not bothered about the other comments, just the age one..lol
  • Options
    making me 10 yrs older than i am, is not good. the fact she is skinny is good though!
  • Options
    Its taken me some 20 minutes to decide if to post this for fear of offending someone, (AFKA, please remove if it starts a row)

As an ex smoker who managed to pack it in some 25 ish years ago and when I started it was almost encouraged, but although the reality is you feel you wont be the unlucky one the one you read about "smokes 30 a day, drinks like a fish" and is still going in their 90s! they I feel are the exception,
    My mother who "still smokes" said something along those lines, the difference being she was only in her early 60s, in august this year she will be 70, she has not left her house for the last 6 and half years and is permantly attached to oxygen, (as seen in the tv advert) some 5 years ago we visited with her first ever g/Grandson after 2 minutes she was exhausted, she now has 5 g/Grandchildren, other than photos will almost certainly never see them for fear that their exubrance (sp) will induce another heart attack, she has no life, sometimes you find yourself wishing the worse, and you hate yourself for it but the reality the choice is hers, my mum laughingly suggest`s that I turn her oxygen up when I leave so she can have a cigerette, its a horrible feeling watching someone you love dying, something I feel I could not put my children though, last year my exploits to get to some sort of fitness level to play in the charity match were at first described as a "midlife crisis" this year they admitted to their Mum, they were "chuffed" at what I`m trying to achieve, the truth is I dont want their children to see Grandad, sitting in a chair unable to do anything for his self. For their sakes "pack it in" please.
  • Options
    Its a very good point well made TCE.

I must say I lost someone close to me through skin cancer, and if anyone ever mentions to me about sunbeds or going on holiday with factor 8, and it being ok to burn and go red as it always turns brown. Tan Schman! I'd rather be pasty with milk bottle legs, than suffer.
    I do bleat on about how its bad, and the person who gets my lecture always says "oh only 3 minutes won't hurt - it was only 50p!", but they didn't see her in hospital, suffering, everyone thinks i'm moany when i telll them to wear sun cream even when its cloudy. I don't expect others to believe me and feel the way I feel as they haven't seen it.
    Its really hard to make people understand, and I do sympathise with your situation, but sadly too many of us think "it won't happen to me" which is so wrong.
  • Options
    People who use sunbeds are morons.

I could not care less about Wayne Rooney smoking, was a bit annoyed at Luke Young getting pissed at the boxing chewing on a bennie, but that was more the fact that he was out full stop after the twattenham vermin beating us in the way they did.

I think someone else saw him as I saw a article on news now at work not long afterwards.

Puff away young Wayne, puff away
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pettswoodaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]SHG - What evidence do you have that it effects him in anyway? Plenty of atheletes smoke and drink and it has little or no effect on them.
    Smoking will effect your health. It actually says that on the box. Some athletes may smoke and it does have a few effects, that is why people smoke. Long/short term the effects are rather well documented.

I havent got problem with smokers, its your choice not mine so please keep it in your lungs not mine.

You are right of course PWA, but not because successive oppressive governments tell us so. Car fumes are bad for us, but they don't put warnings on high emmission cars do they? They just hoik up the price of the tax so their rich mates can carry on driving around in them, satisfied that their sins are atoned because they are paying for it. And it's a neat way of raising a few more bob to pay for their salary increases/illegal wars/pension funds etc.
  • Options
    If Rooney gives up the fags, he will start putting on weight. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]People who use sunbeds are morons.

I could not care less about Wayne Rooney smoking, was a bit annoyed at Luke Young getting pissed at the boxing chewing on a bennie, but that was more the fact that he was out full stop after the twattenham vermin beating us in the way they did.

I think someone else saw him as I saw a article on news now at work not long afterwards.

Puff away young Wayne, puff away

Agree with you on the first bit I lost my father to Melenoma 4 years ago.

Smoking though, he's a prat.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]SHG - What evidence do you have that it effects him in anyway? Plenty of atheletes smoke and drink and it has little or no effect on them.
    Smoking will effect your health. It actually says that on the box. Some athletes may smoke and it does have a few effects, that is why people smoke. Long/short term the effects are rather well documented.

I havent got problem with smokers, its your choice not mine so please keep it in your lungs not mine.

You are right of course PWA, but not because successive oppressive governments tell us so. Car fumes are bad for us, but they don't put warnings on high emmission cars do they? They just hoik up the price of the tax so their rich mates can carry on driving around in them, satisfied that their sins are atoned because they are paying for it. And it's a neat way of raising a few more bob to pay for their salary increases/illegal wars/pension funds etc.

I think I'm right in say it was a goverment of this country that introduced warnings on packaging it certainly was not the tobaco companies.
    As for taxes goverments have to get the money from somewhere they know no other way. The next lot will the same as the last, do away with one tax while introducing a new one.
  • Options
    Lets think about this for a second

The boy was brought up on a shameless-esque estate

Have you seen the photographs of his family?

His name is Wayne

As a young up and coming star he was found to be indulging in sex sessions with an array of stunners in a Liverpool brothel.

One of them was labelled the 'auld schlapper'.

Is anyone shocked?

On the prostitute bit can you imagine him bursting into a boudoire swaying from too many turbo shandies, member erect in hand, cheeks rosy red.

He then looks at the 65 year old laying on the bed and excitedly yells

'Get reedie fer Rooney yer fookin ol schlapper'

And jumps on board the mothership.

Ring any bells Stu?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL
  • Options
    As a professional sportsman there might be a clause in his contract forbidding it; if so he's out of order. Given that no-one here knows what's in his contract (at least I presume you don't) we aren't really in a position to say that though. For all we know Alex Fergusson may have given his consent for him to have the odd fag during the close season, he might have taken a managerial decision that the price paid in terms of Rooney's fitness is worth paying to have him as a contented team member, rather than one who feels restricted by "petty" rules.

In smoking Rooney has done something pretty stupid, but I don't see without full recourse to the facts that we have any right to slate him for it. After all, we all do some silly things, don't we?
  • Options
    Can I just add that loads off top level footballers smoke. Maybe not in the sense of 20/30 a day but they do.

A lot of the Chelsea players do, certainly when they are out of an evening.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Its taken me some 20 minutes to decide if to post this for fear of offending someone, (AFKA, please remove if it starts a row)

As an ex smoker who managed to pack it in some 25 ish years ago and when I started it was almost encouraged, but although the reality is you feel you wont be the unlucky one the one you read about "smokes 30 a day, drinks like a fish" and is still going in their 90s! they I feel are the exception,
    My mother who "still smokes" said something along those lines, the difference being she was only in her early 60s, in august this year she will be 70, she has not left her house for the last 6 and half years and is permantly attached to oxygen, (as seen in the tv advert) some 5 years ago we visited with her first ever g/Grandson after 2 minutes she was exhausted, she now has 5 g/Grandchildren, other than photos will almost certainly never see them for fear that their exubrance (sp) will induce another heart attack, she has no life, sometimes you find yourself wishing the worse, and you hate yourself for it but the reality the choice is hers, my mum laughingly suggest`s that I turn her oxygen up when I leave so she can have a cigerette, its a horrible feeling watching someone you love dying, something I feel I could not put my children though, last year my exploits to get to some sort of fitness level to play in the charity match were at first described as a "midlife crisis" this year they admitted to their Mum, they were "chuffed" at what I`m trying to achieve, the truth is I dont want their children to see Grandad, sitting in a chair unable to do anything for his self. For their sakes "pack it in" please.

I feel for you TCE. I lost my Dad about 15 years ago to the evil weed. It's always pained me that because of that stupid habit he never got to see his grandchildren. Of course the saddest thing is that it's not just you or me that go through this, with the death rate as it is there can hardly be a person in the country who hasn't lost a friend or relative to fags. And yet people still do it. It's a mad old world that we live in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

I think I'm right in say it was a goverment of this country that introduced warnings on packaging it certainly was not the tobaco companies.
    As for taxes goverments have to get the money from somewhere they know no other way. The next lot will the same as the last, do away with one tax while introducing a new one.

The point I was making was that I don't believe a word the government tells us PWA. Whichever rosette they may be wearing.
  • Options
    I do think some people are taking this far too seriously.

We can drum home the 'professional athlete' bit till the cows come home, but at the end of the day what you are talking about are lads 20-24 years old having to be professional athletes 48-49 weeks a year. They get a three week window to let their hair down and be normal 20-24 year olds. In that three week window, the geezer has also got married. If having a pint and a fag in a private swimming pool on his honeymoon is his way of having a little rebellion, so be it.

Ricky Hatton has carved out a decent career, despite being wholly unprofessional for large chunks of the year. If Rooney was in the papers every week coming out of nightclubs drunk, with a fag in his hand, then that's a different matter altogether, but letting himself let off steam on his honeymoon is a complete non-issue for me, particularly coming from the background he has.

Having said that, i would absolutely wet myself if after all this fuss it turned out it was his lookalike brother !
  • Options
    Point taken.
    Politicians are renowned for being economic with the truth. It’s a job to them; any ideals they may have or had seem to go if it looks like they are getting kicked off the gravy train.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]As a professional sportsman there might be a clause in his contract forbidding it

Anyone know the details of Marcus's contract?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I do think some people are taking this far too seriously.

We can drum home the 'professional athlete' bit till the cows come home, but at the end of the day what you are talking about are lads 20-24 years old having to be professional athletes 48-49 weeks a year. They get a three week window to let their hair down and be normal 20-24 year olds. In that three week window, the geezer has also got married. If having a pint and a fag in a private swimming pool on his honeymoon is his way of having a little rebellion, so be it.

Ricky Hatton has carved out a decent career, despite being wholly unprofessional for large chunks of the year. If Rooney was in the papers every week coming out of nightclubs drunk, with a fag in his hand, then that's a different matter altogether, but letting himself let off steam on his honeymoon is a complete non-issue for me, particularly coming from the background he has.

Having said that, i would absolutely wet myself if after all this fuss it turned out it was his lookalike brother !

Its a rare smoker who only 1 or 2. Its an addicktive drug.
    One of the problems of being 20-24 is that you never think 40-44 is going to happen. Does anyone know if Chris Powell smokes? (i bet he dont) He's got 14 years on Rooney and still plays all because he looked after his body.
  • Options

Thanks for explaining that to me PWA.................

Im well aware, as a smoker, of the dangers and potential health implications, however the point I was making was what evidence do we have that it effects (his performance) in anyway?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's a question you know the answer to but you also know it is not possible for anyone on a forum to prove or dis-prove.

To answer your question with answer you want;
    No evidence what so ever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pettswoodaddick[/cite]That's a question you know the answer to but you also know it is not possible for anyone on a forum to prove or dis-prove.

To answer your question with answer you want;
    No evidence what so ever.

Its not the answer I "want", its simply the answer. Without evidence all it is is conjecture.

Its rather drawing a line in the sand and assuming that asthmatics cannot be sportsmen and women, rather than reviewing it on a case by case basis. Naive at best.
  • Options
    Yes Dan you are right.
  • Options
    Nice to see an adult reaction from you..
  • Options
    Charlton Dan - SHG - What evidence do you have that it effects him in anyway? Plenty of atheletes smoke and drink and it has little or no effect on them

Well I of course don`t have any proof. I suspect the weight of medical evidence suggesting smoking might be a tad bad for your lungs and other bits and pieces (All of which are fairly important to a " professional athlete") is going to be so heavy that I feel confident enough to say he should have more respect for his profession and his employers and yes it does have a detrimental effect on his performance. Not that this is of very much importance to the argument but I work at the Kent Oncology Centre and plan the radiotherapy treatment for all types of cancer patient including those terminally ill as a consequence of smoking.
  • Options
    Dan, what did you want me to say? Sorry my retort was not adult enough for you, it was 12.25 on a Friday, dinner time.

You know, I know, the whole bloody world knows, even the tobacco companies know cigarettes are not performance aids.
    It would be “naïve at best” to assume otherwise.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Charlton Dan - SHG - What evidence do you have that it effects him in anyway? Plenty of atheletes smoke and drink and it has little or no effect on them

Well I of course don`t have any proof. I suspect the weight of medical evidence suggesting smoking might be a tad bad for your lungs and other bits and pieces (All of which are fairly important to a " professional athlete") is going to be so heavy that I feel confident enough to say he should have more respect for his profession and his employers and yes it does have a detrimental effect on his performance. Not that this is of very much importance to the argument but I work at the Kent Oncology Centre and plan the radiotherapy treatment for all types of cancer patient including those terminally ill as a consequence of smoking.

I work at UCL, one of my colleges is a surgeon. His words not mine, "Moderate your alcohol intake and if you smoke your stupid"
    Only his opinion and he didn’t provide me evidence to back this statement up.
  • Options
    Do you not think that ManUtd have run checks on his lung capacity, stamina etc and are happy with it? If they viewed it as something that had an adverse affect on his ability to do what he does for a living, then wouldnt they be pushing for him to give up, just as they would do when running checks and monitoring their players diets?

Does he smoke regularily or is he a social smoker? Does being an asthmatic, something that also has an impact on lung capacity, stop people becoming professional footballers at the top level?

The point Im trying to make is not that its harmful to him, that we all know, but whether it effects his performance. None of us know the full details and therefore to make judgements based on nothing more than utter conjecture is, IMHO, daft.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    Does he smoke regularily or is he a social smoker? Does being an asthmatic, something that also has an impact on lung capacity, stop people becoming professional footballers at the top level?

The point Im trying to make is not that its harmful to him, that we all know, but whether it effects his performance. None of us know the full details and therefore to make judgements based on nothing more than utter conjecture is, IMHO, daft.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, being asthmatic is something you can't do a great deal about - although the number of registered asthmatics in athletics is rather high, but then that might be because there are steroids, which coincidentally are performance enhancing, that can be legally used to combat asthma.

The link between cancer and smoking (not to mention a host of other lung diseases) is well established and doesn't need to be proven here. Just look around you and see how many old smokers there are - or if you prefer something like 90+% of all lung cancer sufferers are also smokers.

If nothing else cigarette smoke includes carbon monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas produced as a result of incomplete burning of carbon that is found in tobacco. Carbon monoxide sticks to red blood cells in place of oxygen and lowers the ability of the blood to transport oxygen around the body, something which is important in an athletic sport, so CO is not much use in respiration. Tobacco smoke also contains a variety of other dangerous poisons including hydrogen cyanide, nitrogen oxides and ammonia. Many of these chemicals can contribute (in sufficient doses) to heart disease, or diseases of the lungs and airways. Some of these chemicals - including CO - kill the cilia in our lungs and therefore reduce our ability to clear away toxins from our lungs again reducing lung capcity.

I don't doubt that having the odd cigarette is ok, but it certainly isn't helping his respiration and therefore by definition it isn't helping his ability to play football.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Please read my previous post to understand the point I was making.

i.e. Does having reduced lung capacity, due to asthma, stop being people atheletes? And if it doesnt, why should smoking do the same, something Im assuming that ManU will run checks on?