Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pictures of Rooney smoking

124»

Comments

• Options
    i.e. Does having reduced lung capacity, due to asthma, stop being people atheletes?

Yes it does...but just as smoking reduces lung capacity it doesn't stop everyone who suffers from it from becoming an athlete. Nevertheless any respiratory disorder such as asthma will hinder athletic performance.

The effects of smoking, even in moderate amounts are very well documented. Smoking alters blood chemistry, cardiac and lung function and consequently will impair both the levels of performance and endurance in athletes and non-athletes alike. And the more you smoke the worse the consequences...so the choice is Rooney's, although I doubt that smoking will harm his game by enough to stop him being a good footballer. Even if you smoke a moderate number of cigarettes a day the chances of lung cancer/athsma/other lung disorders increase and by definition they inhibit pulmonary exchange - the process by which the lungs inhale O2 and exhale CO2. In essence smokers who think that smoking won't effect their athletic ability are deluding themselves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]i.e. Does having reduced lung capacity, due to asthma, stop being people atheletes?

Yes it does...but just as smoking reduces lung capacity it doesn't stop everyone who suffers from it from becoming an athlete.

...so the choice is Rooney's, although I doubt that smoking will harm his game by enough to stop him being a good footballer.

Bingo!!!

Hidden away amongst the lecture on the evils of smoking we unearth the points I was getting at.....

1) It probably doesnt reduce his ability to play football
    2) Its his choice
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    But that misquotes BFR He said "not enough to stop him being a good footballer" not "it doesn't reduce his ability" and those are quite different statements.

If smoking reduces his ability by 1% he will still be a very good footballer and have a successful career. But that 1% could mean the difference in stamina to be able to successfully take a penalty in the world cup final penalty shoot out in South Africa.

At the level we all played and most of us work 1% less or even 10% won't make a huge difference. To an athlete playing at the very top of his game 1% could be the difference between winning and losing.

I bet Michael Ballack smokes : - )

It's a silly and dangerous habit as we have sadly read above. If tobacco was discovered now it would be banned without a murmur. We all know that so why defend the indefensible.

Should Rooney be crucified for smoking? No.

Should the British press be less intrusive and purulent? yes

Should people stop smoking for their own health? That's a decision only they can make foolish as they would be to continue IMHO.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's a silly and dangerous habit as we have sadly read above. If tobacco was discovered now it would be banned without a murmur. .

And the contraceptive pill would never be approved today either.
  • Options
    Funking hell lads, chillax

See the lighter side of it
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Camel adverts

Tried to put a picture in but failed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's a silly and dangerous habit as we have sadly read above. If tobacco was discovered now it would be banned without a murmur. .

And the contraceptive pill would never be approved today either.

Never smoked one of those