Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP: Iwelumo set for Addicks exit

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/sport.cfm?id=10818

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2008
    shame to see him go, but he's the only one i can see going. bouazza bid failed as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Excellent

From the looks of that quote, Iwelumo is leaving because of his wages. Don't understand why we would have offered him so much in the first place, he surely wasn't on a big wage at Colchester?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Excellent

From the looks of that quote, Iwelumo is leaving because of his wages. Don't understand why we would have offered him so much in the first place, he surely wasn't on a big wage at Colchester?

But he came on a free so i'd imagine he could have a bigger wage because of that. Plus I think he means we can't financially afford 11 strikers!
  • Options
    thank god for that , 6'4 16 stone cant win any thing in the air and gets knocked off the ball , oh and trips over his own feet , c'mon lets be honest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: spooner[/cite]thank god for that , 6'4 16 stone cant win any thing in the air and gets knocked off the ball , oh and trips over his own feet , c'mon lets be honest.

Top scorer
  • Options
    Appeared in every game though and is a striker so should be top scorer
  • Options
    always on the cards since grays arrival I guess. all this chopping and changing can't do much for a settled team. can't say I'm impressed no arial presence in the team now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Appeared in every game though and is a striker so should be top scorer

No he didnt....
  • Options
    yeah why are we paying so much??
  • Options
    He was a free agent last season was in a position to negotiate a decent deal for himself - something thats often overlooked when players are signed on a "free".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]yeah why are we paying so much??

We're not. Just Scoham totally misreading the original report. Sorry S but you have.

It's not about Big Chris's individual wages, which certainly aren''t anywhere the highest at the club, but the overall budget for wages (for all the players/coaches/etc), other costs (such as travel/hotels etc) and transfers fees. There's an overall figure and everything has to fit into that. So an amount saved here can be spent somewhere else.

Personally I'd be sad to see him go if it turns out to be true. Always gave 100%, scored vital match and points winning goals (sheff Wed, Bristol City, Soton etc), did what was asked of him and for some reason was blamed for the full back pumping 60 yard balls to him when he was on his own and the centre half had 5 seconds to watch the ball come down.

When a striker was running beyond him (see toddy's goal at Palace) his flicks and touches were dangerous.
  • Options
    Cheers for that

no news on Faye
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Cheers for that

no news on Faye

No, I just checked the OS and no news on Faye.
  • Options
    dam

no shock really ,who would really want him

Heard Thamesmead Town gave him a trail sent him packing after day one ;-)
  • Options
    My interpretation of the SLP report is that the squad size will have to be trimmed and let's face it we already have enough attacking options not to miss Iwelumo. If we can sell on a player who arrived on a free and who isn't central to our plans this season then it's good business and good for the player too - at least he'll be getting regular football at Wolves (or wherever he ends up) rather than starting matches on the bench/playing for the reserves.
  • Options
    Judging by Pardews comments surrounding the Bent and Iwelumo transfers they are purely for financial reasons and not footballing. It leaves you to wonder just how bad is the clubs financial situation really is??
  • Options
    i think its just more polite to say we need the money, rather than "these two are hopeless, dont fancy either of them and would like the cash to spend elsewhere"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Gallagher[/cite]Judging by Pardews comments surrounding the Bent and Iwelumo transfers they are purely for financial reasons and not footballing. It leaves you to wonder just how bad is the clubs financial situation really is??

There are not many Championship Clubs who will pay a player £1.3 million a year, Cardiff obviously can. It will be interesting to see if they can get bent to play for a whole season.

Our wage bill pre bents transfer is around £11m which is apparently high for this league and we will need to cut deeper if we don't get promotion.

Faye is another £1.3 m, I wonder if he will be on the plane to Spain tomorrow.

Be sorry to see Iwelumo go as he may miss the skill that bent possesses but has the heart that Bent lacks. My recollection of Gray for Burnley against us is that he was pretty mean in the air so maybe we will see more of that from him next season.

The big plus though is that if we can use the Bent money, maybe that Central Midfielder is only round the corner.
  • Options
    i think gray can do just fine in the air. he is a big lad and looks twice the player chris is. i know the goals didnt flow last season but im sure they will come. i cant wait to see the back the back of Bent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Gallagher[/cite]Judging by Pardews comments surrounding the Bent and Iwelumo transfers they are purely for financial reasons and not footballing. It leaves you to wonder just how bad is the clubs financial situation really is??

Been thinking along these lines for a while

If we dont go up this season what state will the club be in next season?

so Far since the end of the seson 10 either gone or going sure ive missed somenot including loanees that returned to there clubs

McCarthy
    Powell
    Bent due any moment
    Big Chris looks likely
    Faye lets hope so
    Paulo Monteiro
    Dorian Smith
    Osei Sankofa
    Jmes Walker
    Fortune maybe offloaded

Thats a hell of a lot of wages saved and we have or will get a fee for
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mark Robson....

if we dont go up next season we will also say goodbye to Ambrose and Thomas etc. like them or not they are up there with the best in this league and must be on v big wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick from saffend[/cite]Mark Robson....

if we dont go up next season we will also say goodbye to Ambrose and Thomas etc. like them or not they are up there with the best in this league and must be on v big wages.

Addick from Saffend

You said you were going to Braintree yesterday. Did you go? If so can you start a thread on the game to give us a bit of info on who played, scored etc as I haven't seen anything on the OS yet.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    sorry must have me confused with someone else mate. didnt go. was sitting on sofa drinking beer watching the cricket all day.

maybe you are getting me mixed up with southend addick?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick from saffend[/cite]sorry must have me confused with someone else mate. didnt go. was sitting on sofa drinking beer watching the cricket all day.

Sorry. I've just found the thread it was Essex Al.

So I'll try again. Essex Al if your reading this info from Braintree please.
  • Options
    with big chris our top scorer and ever present in the leagur? then gray,varney and todorov we have 4 first team strikers - the latter cd be very close to the end of his career. then u have little chris, mcleod and fleetwood who lets be honest are speculative transfers from lower if not non league which so far haven't paid off. we would be mad to sell iwelumo in my view, but then buying gray at the expense its seems of reid was similarly puzzling to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: addick from saffend[/cite]sorry must have me confused with someone else mate. didnt go. was sitting on sofa drinking beer watching the cricket all day.

Sorry. I've just found the thread it was Essex Al.

So I'll try again. Essex Al if your reading this info from Braintree please.

Apparently Holland and Sam were in the team
  • Options
    apperently signing for Wolves for £900k tomorrow.

great business....
  • Options
    expect it to be only £400k up front though
  • Options
    With roughly 2mill coming in and a high earner going we might see a bit of action on the buying front. It might even be the midfielder that most are looking for. Watson from Palarse maybe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]With roughly 2mill coming in and a high earner going we might see a bit of action on the buying front. It might even be the midfielder that most are looking for. Watson from Palarse maybe.

Funnily enough Pards suggested that defence was more of a priority and although midfield is an issue, i tend to agree with him.