Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Promotion this season.... Yes / No

Comments

• Options
    Got to be a YES! As others have said, if you can't believe we've got every chance, then what's the point? We will have learnt from last season and won't fall away in the second half of the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]yes, otherwise what's the point of going?

We was never going to win the Prem, still went.

At the moment, no.

With a decent midfielder in, yes.

Whats the point of going if you haven't got a bit of hope for the season, in the Premiership the hopes where different
  • Options
    We have been close before with worse squads!
  • Options
    There really should be a vote for 'don't know' as that is surely the truth of the matter, I've voted yes out of loyalty and optimism but it really should have been a 'don't know' vote.I think given the choice, most voters would have gone for that.
  • Options
    only one way to vote, it's a sunny day, we just wiped the floor with some non-leaguers so I voted yes.
  • Options
    Don't think thrashing non-league teams is enough for me. Nowhere near enough quality in depth in the squad. At the moment we look over-reliant on Shelvey: unrealistic to expect a 16 year old to run the midfield match after match for 50 odd games, especially once the opposition suss him out and start to target him.

Now prove me wrong, please, Charlton!
  • Options
    At least the poll shows there is a fairly even mix of the 'rose-tinted specs' brigade and the 'doom-merchants'.

There is only one way to find out who is right....

FIIIIIGHHHHTTTT!!!!!
  • Options
    If Bougy goes and no one else comes in for defence or midfield then NO.

However Pards says he is trying to get players in and if he does I hope to change my No to a YES
  • Options
    You go because you hope that we will go up.
    You go for the day out
    You go for your mates
    You go out of habit
    You go because where else would you go ?
    You go to forget work/Gordon Brown/petrol Prices/the row with the wife etc
    You go because its part of u

You dont go every season thinking that we will do something , this is CAFC FFS !
  • Options
    I've gone for yes, but if we don't then so be it, won't stop me returning next year. Could be quite an exciting season, squad not as strong as we might like, but a few of the kids should get a chance, and have a lot to prove. At least expectations are not so high this year which may help the payers relax more and not be put-off by the boo merchants.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done for repeating what I said in your first line GH
  • Options
    I've gone for a no, I'd be surprised if we scraped into the play offs at this point, just not enough cash about to compete with top clubs/relegated prem teams.
  • Options
    just can't see it myself unless the Bent money is used on a creative midfielders and Thomas, Varney and Gray play to their full ability week-in, week-out rather than in flashes
  • Options
    as the song goes- we're going up as f****** champions
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Well done for repeating what I said in your first line GH

Hope and want are to different things.

I'd love CAFC to go up, without a decent midfield general I don't think we will. I'll still be going as I love watching CAFC.
  • Options
    I also thought some people wouldn't want us to go up, as that would mean we'd be back in the Boring Old Premiership rather than the Really Exciting Championship? ;-)
  • Options
    If we give Marcus Bent a decent run in the side then who knows?
  • Options
    We lack quality in too many key areas, I fear another season of mediocrity awaits. To be honest though I would be happy playing decent football & not going up.
  • Options
    If Varney can step up this season then Gray/Varney/Todorov should be a good quality strike force.

Central midfield we need someone better than MH but have three good youngsters who we will hopefully see a lot of this season - one or more of them could have a storming season or the could all fail to make a breakthrough.... so it's promising but we'll win nothing with youngsters! Mullins seems like a distinct possibility to beef us up - and Ambrose and ZZ give us vital quality in attack.

Despite a decent keeper, we are looking very weak at the back if Bougy goes, but a signing or two and the outlook could be better.
  • Options
    I went for "no" - not that I'm really bothered either way if I'm honest. As long as we don't go bust if we don't go up then I can live with it either way.

And for certain people - Rothko, hold your head in shame - to suggest that we have to think "yes, otherwise what's the pouint in going?" means they don't get what going to football is all about. Or at least, what it USED to be all about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I voted yes because that what I hope for. I just couldn't bring myself to vote no. I can see why some say whats the point in going if you vote no as you have to go into each season with a bit of optimism. I've been supporting Charlton long enough to know that opimism regarding Charlton is sometimes mis-placed. Think back to when we were promoted when we had to play at shithurst and who would have thought we would win a play-off final.

Theres a fine line between optimism and pessimism(sp) so I'll start of the optimistic side of the line.
  • Options
    yes, yes, yes, yes, oh god, yessssssssssss!!!!!

well, maybe.

As long as we arent midtable all season and stay up playng decent football at least in patches, with some kids coming through, I'll be happy.

Luke's year this year, I hope.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    no , i'm just hoping this season lives up to last seasons excitement and as weegie says who wants to see us in the boring premiership , what's the point of deco and his mates stuffing us 4-0 when real players like hoolihan and his ex team mates can put 5 past us, real players , real crowds, real stadiums, real football ...... can't wait
  • Options
    I adopt the opposite approach to Rothko.

More years than I care to remember of second division cr** and the sale of our best players taught me that if you expect the worst with Charlton you might just occasionally have a pleasant surprise. If not well you are no worse off because you didn't expect anything from them anyway!

I've spent 45 years reading league tables from the bottom up rather than the top down and I bet I'm not the only one to do that!?
  • Options
    I agree with Rothko to a point here - IMO you've got to hope we go up; I also hope we win the FA cup and the milk cup but realism sets in and thus do I actually think we'll win either cup this season? No, and I don't think we're good enough to go up this season either. We are lacking in the middle of the park, however it's a funny old division so there is no harm in hoping as it may well happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I adopt the opposite approach to Rothko.

More years than I care to remember of second division cr** and the sale of our best players taught me that if you expect the worst with Charlton you might just occasionally have a pleasant surprise. If not well you are no worse off because you didn't expect anything from them anyway!

I've spent 45 years reading league tables from the bottom up rather than the top down and I bet I'm not the only one to do that!?

Len that is my philosophy I love Charlton so much that if I fear the worst and it happens it doesn't hurt so much and the high's are so much better I agree with you 100%
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ditto len and nss, we all HOPE we go up and then win the premiership, fa cup, league cup and then the champions league(although i suspect some weirdos might not want that cos of the money involved and newbie fans) but in the real world i think most of us know deep down we wont go up , other wise we'd be lumping on us to get promoted at just under 6-1 with betfair
  • Options
    I've said yes, but via the play offs. A lot will depend on players from last season and the youngsters. I just can't include any new signings as we have no money to spend big, there are no great players really available and historicly going abroad we always fail.

Most people go on about centre mid, Holland will go on another year, I personally realy like the look of racon, and just maybe Ambrose should be put there, then of course our jewll ZZ, who I think is very underestimated by a lot of fans.

Up front we appear OK, I've watched Varney a lot and spoke with him at Plymouth away when he was a sub, his attitude is spot on IMO. Gray looked the part last year without scoring, toddy is due back and the new boys have a point to prove.

What worries me the most is at the back. Weaver didn't cost us any games last year, but there was not many brilliant saves either, not like when Carson or DK were between the sticks. Think we should have kept thatcher as well, he is hard and steady again didn't do a lot wrong.

The one thing we need is a spark, a player that can do something from nothing, like Santa & Reid used to. Maybe that will come from Jonjo, but I'd rather not rush him. Pity we got rid of Diawara, he was solid and would have settled in now for this coming season.
  • Options
    of course we are going to finish top 2, no question :-)
  • Options
    Len, NSS, Oohaah - my philosophy too, just in case you hadn't guessed!!