Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Promotion this season.... Yes / No

13»

Comments

• Options
    I seem to have gained the reputation on here as the eternal optimist ....so no point singing from a different hymn sheet now.

My philosophy is simple ..... when Charlton play, I hope we win and of course, as disappointed as everyone else, when we don't.

But like others on here with decades of experience of the trials, tribulations and occasionally joy of watching Charlton, we've seen it all before - and so it comes around again and again.

But even if we lose, the next match is only a week or a few days away - and a fresh chance to claim a decent result.

The one thing I’ve learned about football – it’s played in the head as much as it’s played on the park.

Hope can be a funny thing - for players it's a confidence thing, if you believe you can you've always got a chance.
    If you believe you can't, you're dead, no chance. You've given up. Quit.

I also look around the other results and realise that even the best teams can't win all the time, that it's a 46 game season, usually there's plenty of time and our chances of success are still there until the League table says it's mathematically impossible.

Can we get promoted?
    At this stage of the season, why not?

I'm sure Stoke City, Hull City and Bristol City were just hoping for a good top half of the table finish last season - and for the lucky 2, beyond their wildest dreams to actually win promotion.

So it can be done - and without a technically brilliant team that sweeps all before them.
    You just need to be reasonably decent, a bit of belief - and sometimes the all essential ingredient, that little bit of luck.
  • Options
    This time last season would Stoke or Hull really be believing that they would be playing in the Premiership? All we need is to string a good run of results together, which we couldn't seem to do last season and we'll be right up there.

The youngsters seem to be enjoying there football in the pre-season games, if they can take that into this season and Pards give them the chance they deserve I think we might be able to do it. Who said you can't win anything with kids!?
  • Options
    My point exactly, Plaaater.

How come you managed to say in 4 lines what I managed to say in 40?

:o)
  • Options
    I think it's because I had a drink at lunchtime!
  • Options
    Yes cos Racon is playing a lot pre-season and he is the surprise package that will make all the difference.
  • Options
    Head says no. I don't beleive that the analogy of Stoke and Hull holds good. Two of the relegated clubs from last year - Reading and Birmingham are significantly stronger (at the moment) than anything in the league last year. We'd need a wildcard to step up - something like Racon or Shelvey or Dickson turning out to be a real best-in-divison type, to compete on that scale. Remote possibility, no more, at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Yes cos Racon is playing a lot pre-season and he is the surprise package that will make all the difference.

Will Racon be Player of the Year this season, Henry - like Cory Gibbs was last season?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Head says no. I don't beleive that the analogy of Stoke and Hull holds good. Two of the relegated clubs from last year - Reading and Birmingham are significantly stronger (at the moment) than anything in the league last year.

At the moment, as you say, might be right ........ as Reading now look likely to lose a number of their best players.
    While Birmingam say they've yet to reduce the wage bill.

In the next weeks, some of their best players may be picked off by the more effluent clubs, long loaned or victims of budget cuts.

This time last year, Charlton had returned Scotty Carson, El Kak & the Herminator had terminated and Benty had just signed for Spudz.

The legendary Bryan Hughes wanted to stay but we only offered him a 1 year contract.
    Luke Young was still with us, as were Rommedahl, Diawara, Reid, Faye & MC Bender.

Only one of that last group is still with us now - and even so, nobody can find him .........

;o)
  • Options
    i think no tbh,to me just watching charlton and the day out is a big buzz to me!of course i want us to go up however i cant see us doing it this season
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Head says no. I don't beleive that the analogy of Stoke and Hull holds good. Two of the relegated clubs from last year - Reading and Birmingham are significantly stronger (at the moment) than anything in the league last year.
    [/quote]

At the moment, as you say, might be right ........ as Reading now look likely to lose a number of their best players.
    While Birmingam say they've yet to reduce the wage bill.

In the next weeks, some of their best players may be picked off by the more effluent clubs, long loaned or victims of budget cuts.

This time last year, Charlton had returned Scotty Carson, El Kak & the Herminator had terminated and Benty had just signed for Spudz.

The legendary Bryan Hughes wanted to stay but we only offered him a 1 year contract.
    Luke Young was still with us, as were Rommedahl, Diawara, Reid, Faye & MC Bender.

Only one of that last group is still with us now - and even so, nobody can find him .........

;o)[/quote]

The 'legendary' Brian Hughes...you're having a laugh of course!
    Well there are some odd folk in Greenwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Picked off by the more effluent clubs? Ha ha. i think you're talking shit :-) :-) :-)
  • Options
    If we can stay clear of injuries and Pardew finds a team he is happy with and sticks with it, then there is no reason why we should not be close by the finish. If we can find a partnership out of the fowards we have then we will have a chance. Still need at least a centre mid, left mid and a centre half (if Bouga goes) before the start of the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    I'm sure Stoke City, Hull City and Bristol City were just hoping for a good top half of the table finish last season - and for the lucky 2, beyond their wildest dreams to actually win promotion.

i'm sure leicester were hoping for the playoffs last season, a bit like us;-)
  • Options
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Couldn't find it in me to vote no though. I don't think its clear cut by any stretch, but I'd be depressed if i didn't think we had a chance.