Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Transfer Talk

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
I'm not going to jump on the 'why have we not signed anyone yet' but it does worry me that I read this board and there is more talk of music and personel topics than football. Don't get me wrong, most of it is a good read but I can't help thinking that in the past few years at this time of year we are all buzzing with excitment at new signings, possible signings and those on our wish list.

Looking at most other teams in the championship they do have this feel about them were as we don't. They all appear to have specculation surrounding them but all we have is news about former players moving about.

I understand we are skint, but at least this time last year we could get excitited (or not) about year long loans and targets. We come across as a club to be content with the hand we already have.

Comments

• Options
    Most prem clubs won't know until nearer the end of the window who they want to farm out on loan as yet, so we can rule that one out.

I think the reason for the lack of transfer talk is purely because there are very few rumours to work off. I don't see it as being content with the hand we have got, just that we are having to be narrower with our searches, keeping cards close to chest, and still needing to offload rather than bring in.

As a seperate point, your right there is a lot of music and other stuff of late, at times probably a bit too much. Most of us don't mind the contrast but if there is anyone reading that wants to strip out all the non-Charlton related stuff, you can do so by changing Categories in the top-left from 'all categories unblocked' to 'General Charlton'
  • Options
    I think this season and perhaps many more to come, is an opportunity for our younger players to break through - in every problem there is an opportunity they say don't they. This is something which didn't happen before to a large extent so perhaps its a blessing.
  • Options
    One point I would like to ask about is why do we have these links in Italy & Africa, plus a few others I can't remeber, yet we never seam to get anything from them? I know the African link is relitavly new, but some of the others have been in place for a number of yers, or have they been dropped?

AFK I would slightly dissagree with the loans from prem clubs, most are well into there pre season and there are a lot of players who have not travelled, even some senior pros who will be moving on for fees. So I would say that the Prem clubs are as close as they could be in knowing who will be shipped out on loan.

I agree razil that it will be possibly a year for youngsters to come through, but worry that A) it could be to early for some of them and B) we get shafted like Palace did.

I would be over the moon if the likes of Thomas & Ambrose showed there prem class and took the division by storm, but if this does not happen the attendences will slowly drop, fans will get less patient, the youngsters will be affected, the better ones are sure to leave.

We need to stop the rot now or it will takes years to recover, if at all. Look at the likes of Leeds, Leicster, Sheff Wed, even Wimbledon to name but a few.

I didn't start this thread to be dom and glom, but the more I thought about answering the points the worse it has got!

Cheer me up someone!!
  • Options
    Can I just say that I don't mind the music stuff, it gives a nice bit of colour to the site
  • Options
    I think it was made fairly clear at the City Addicks meeting that the loanees last season didnt work and that we wouldnt be going down that route this year. So I think that leaves us with putting up with our lot....so to speak. Its obvious that we dont have the money to splash around anymore, and maybe thats a godsend in some ways as we wont be taking punts on the Faye's/Traore/Bent's and many other like them. If we can offload Faye and free up a bit of cash, then it will benefit the club longer term. Same with Bougherra, who I personally dont want to see leave, but if it makes the club more stable, then so be it. The last I heard was that we were in for a couple of defenders, but Im guessing when I say maybe that was dependent on Bougy leaving? I cant see Ambrose or Thomas setting anything alight other than themselves accidentally....both are comfortable....talented yet unlikely to show it consistently. Youth is the way forward and we just have to be patient....it aint going to happen overnight, and we have to keep our expectations in perspective....unlike last season when we all felt let down.

The music topics amongst others just help thing tick along...nothing much happening on the footie front, so to keep the interest on the site going I dont think its necessarily a bad thing...just an opinion, not meaning to dig anyone out.
  • Options
    I would be happy to see more signings, Bougherra staying, & the departure of Faye before the season kicks off. But if we do take a punt with the youth, & not sign many/any more, then I'll be happy with that too. It'll Be nice to see some players with some fight, passion & the will to do well in a red shirt, after witnessing some pretty uninspired performances over the past few years, with journeymen & ageing pro's filling the ranks.

I for one am excited about the new season, whatever happens in the next few weeks. Its a blank page & new chapter in my book. Too much negativity at times(not pointing any fingers here) & not enough optimism(though I know its not easy).

It'd be awful if fans started booing after the first 20 minutes of the Swansea match, if the team doesn't start as well as we want it to. It'd set a terrible precedent for the season, & may make our players a bit wary of playing at home, especially the young 'uns!

On the music front, its nice that people can discuss their music tastes with other fans. I don't see a problem if its actually in a 'not sports related' category. What I don't get is why people put it in the 'General Charlton' category. Can't a moderator move a topic to another category? In they same way a topic is sunk if it is a duplicate of another, longer serving thread, or locked? That way, all the CAFC stuff will remain CAFC stuff, & if people want to find music topics, or other non-CAFC or football related subjects, then they can look for it.

Just a thought......;-)
  • Options
    It'd be awful if fans started booing after the first 20 minutes of the Swansea match, if the team doesn't start as well as we want it to. It'd set a terrible precedent for the season, & may make our players a bit wary of playing at home, especially the young 'uns!

unpalatable as it is that scenario wouldn't surprise me at all. About 10% of our fans use messageboards like this and debate the issues and even if they don't agree can see the arguements for and against. The other 90% are going around asking each other what's going on, why havn't we signed so-and-so, why are we selling and not buying, where's the money gone etc etc and then they'll turn up and after 20 minutes and we're losing then they will start booing. In a way the Board needs to fess up and maybe dampen down expectations and tell it as it really is. For my part I'll try and keep Golfie under control but it ain't easy !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]
    On the music front, its nice that people can discuss their music tastes with other fans. I don't see a problem if its actually in a 'not sports related' category. What I don't get is why people put it in the 'General Charlton' category. Can't a moderator move a topic to another category? In they same way a topic is sunk if it is a duplicate of another, longer serving thread, or locked? That way, all the CAFC stuff will remain CAFC stuff, & if people want to find music topics, or other non-CAFC or football related subjects, then they can look for it.

Just a thought......;-)

I do every day Stefo, though obviously some slip through the net. Though it winds me up i have to spend time doing it at all, as i see it largely as posters being lazy and not bothering to change the category field. Some new posters don't realise there are different categories, so i try and let them know.

If you have started a post and realise its in the wrong category, you can still go back at any stage by pressing edit, and changing it to the right one.
  • Options
    I put something in the wrong category. Suddenly it hit me, I went back to change it only to find that somebody (AFKA presumably) had put it right.
  • Options
    I'm excited for the new season and not that bothered if we don't sign anyone else. We'll be there or thereabouts next season and if pardew can get us playing as a team like Bristol City did last year, we've got far better players than they and look how close they came! Was dissapointed that things went downhill so quickly last year when we were in a good position, think poor loan signings and a lot of messing about did it but it's not easy to pinpoint. I think a slimmer squad and some good young prospects that hopefully will produce at least one strong player particularly in midfield will be crucial, and maybe one of Fortune, Ambrose or Thomas finally living up to their potential, blimey if all 3 did we'd be flying. Think Gray, varney, Todorov will be strong this year, Hudson seems like a solid, steady player which we need. Overall I am quite positive and think the fact that no-one has any expectations for us this year will be to our advantage. Just lose Faye please and lets start fresh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's a good post, Nug.
  • Options
    Sorry,
    i don't agree with oggy or Nug.

Until we sort out the midfield we will be f**ked.Currently our centre midfield consists of

Holland - an aging battler who's legs are going and can only pass 5 yaerd sideways.
    Shelvey - a 16 year old star who everyone is pinning their hopes on who has played just 2 legues games and who (so we have been told by our reliable management) will not play everygame.
    Sinclair - who was loaned out for most of last season and the games he did play for us looked completely lost,
    Racon - hardly played last season so jury's out but hardly a midfield dynamo.
    Wagstaff - 18 year old with 2 games under his belt

If anyone would like to disagree, then please do. But I have no faith in this current maangement team until they do what they said they wee going to do in May - steal a march on the oppostion & sign players in departments that need strengthening. So far we have replaced a centre half (Hudson for MCCarthy) and brought in another non-league striker.

And you wonder why I moan........jeez.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]sign players in departments that need strengthening

You paying for it then?
  • Options
    It all shows that this club was not as solidly built as was 1st thought

House of Cards

No-one is signing anyone at the moment until the Premier League clubs starts the cash flowing.

Darius 'Barn Door' Henderson for £2mill??

Anthony Gardner for 2.5!!!!

No wonder football's losing it's appeal if these types of *very* average players are being valued like that.

Anyway it's about time youngsters where given a genuine chance at this club
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sorry Falcon, do not agree with your ''House of Cards'' comment. I think we are extremely lucky to have a board that have the long term future of the club at heart. We must be in a position to survive next season if promotion is not achieved. I believe we have a tremendous crop of youngsters coming through, whether this season is too soon for them, I don't know. I still have faith in Pards to bring them through. We all know he is aware of the mistakes that he and the club made last season, let's all hope he puts them right this time around. In Golfie's post he omitted Josh Wright from his selections. I have seen this lad play a couple of times now and think he is a tremendous talent, he also has had the benefit of getting toughened up at Barnet last season.

What I do agree with you about, is the fees some clubs are starting to pay for very average players. Watford have done very well for themselves to get £2m for Henderson, who I believe is a much lesser player than a certain Marcus Bent. Personally, I would rather see our club bringing the youngsters through rather than waste huge amounts of money on journeyman players. We have already seen what effect that has had on us!
  • Options
    Trust Golfie to pick on the only major weakness in the team and dress it up like the club is doomed.

If all our supporters are aware of this issue, you can be damned sure the management team are also.

Sure it'd be great to go out and sign that missing link - the all action, swashbuckling box to box midfielder, with the crunching tackle, perfect passing and venomous shot, 10 goals a season.

So who is it, is he available and can we afford him?
    Because let's face it, if he's that good, he's already playing in the Prem.

Other than that, we have to see who's shortly surplus to Prem requirements or we have to grow our own.

As I see it, Golfie - we are one player away from being a very good team, not plummetting to disaster.
    And in the meantime, still reasonably equipped to have a decent season.
  • Options
    Problem is Oggy - one player is all it takes (Parker / jensen/ Di canio /Reidy)

with Reid last year we were top 6 material - he left and we became mid table.

I said it then & I'm saying it now - if we don't get in a similar player to replace Reid we will not get into the play-offs.

Joss Wright *& Johnjo Shelvey are good , young players - but even Pards says that they aren't going to play every game - and what happens if one gets injured early on in the season - say Sept when the transfer window is shut ?
  • Options
    It's asking too much anyway of Shelvey to lead the team to promotion.

Golfie for once does have a point - that we need a strong ball-palying midfielder who can create a few chances here and there. Mostly what we need is a stronger collective spirit in the team. Hopefully having had a season together last year they'll come on as a unit this year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Sorry,
    And you wonder why I moan........jeez.

I wonder why you bother......
  • Options
    Fair enough, Golfie ........ but I am agreeing with you that we need that player to complete the team.
    But where do we find him, can we afford him - and would he want to sign for Charlton?

If the right player is not available or beyond our budget, then what?

We've still got the nucleus of a good team - and no reason why we can't be there or thereabouts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we have got a player who is 90% there in ZZ. He is a battler, gets up and down, creative and gets a few goals. maybe could do with being a bit stronger.

My personal opinion is that we need the proper warhorse holding player:

Holland - not got what it takes any more
    Semedo - Simply not good enough

whether Josh wright/Jonjo can play any part in that remains to be seen
  • Options
    I must admit I find myself agreeing with Golfaddick for once. With Bougherra possibly staying I think we have a solid back 5 for this division. I think we have quality up front in Varney, Gray, Todorov with a couple of Wild cards (Dickson, Fleetwood) plenty of goals & options in there. Then there is Midfield....oh good God we have appeared to have learnt nothing from last season. I am hugely concerned that our lack of creativity is gonna be the difference between mid-table nothingness & play off challengers. We appear to be pinning our hopes on a 16 year old to be our main man in the middle of the park with two 90 minute Pro games behind him. As for the rest Sam (Does not create/shoot), Holland (Does not create/shoot), Faye (Where do I start), Thomas (Does not create/ Shoot or Score) anyone else see a pattern emerging ?
  • Options
    I think we have got a player who is 90% there in ZZ. He is a battler, gets up and down, creative and gets a few goals. maybe could do with being a bit stronger.

• Options
    yes, of course we are lacking in a centre mid creative player but I agree with Oggy that if he isn't out there or is but is beyond our price range fee or wages wise what do we do ? Do we buy someone who isn't really up to the job or do we rely on what we have got hoping Shelvey and Wright between them can do the job and if we don't this season at least it will make them better players for a crack next season. Personally I'm happy with that but if others perform as they should the play-offs are not beyond us. Pushing the Club into further debt isn't an option. The problem is that our wide players don't really deliver whether that is Sam, Thomas or Ambrose. If they did then their creative efforts might make the midfield lack of creativity less of an issue.

BTW, all wish me luck for my trip to Brighton in Golfie's car. It'll be more entertaining than the game I reckon !!
  • Options
    Golfie is right in that we need a ball winning midfielder. We haven't had one since Parker left and I know we can't afford a player of Parker's ability but we do need someone who can win the ball at this level and then create an attack through ZZ/Thomas/Shelvey/Sam/Wright or whoever, but until we have that player all the forwards in the division won't help us win matches.
    There are times when a calculated gamble has to be made and now is time, whether the money comes from the Directors, who I acknowledge have already shelled out a lot or from the Bank we need to spend £3-4m to get that type of player so we can have a chance of promotion because without it we don't stand a chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cafc #1[/cite]I think we have got a player who is 90% there in ZZ. He is a battler, gets up and down, creative and gets a few goals. maybe could do with being a bit stronger.

I totally disagree with your assessment of Semedo. Until he was dropped to make way for Holland, Semedo was putting in some excellent performances.
  • Options
    Sorry I forgot we've also got Ambrose - somewhere?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]There are times when a calculated gamble has to be made and now is time, whether the money comes from the Directors, who I acknowledge have already shelled out a lot or from the Bank we need to spend £3-4m to get that type of player so we can have a chance of promotion because without it we don't stand a chance.

Agree we need to spend around 2-3m BUT it's more likely to be 300/400 thousand imo
  • Options
    There are obviously very good financial and other reasons for getting Faye off the books.

However if, as is appearing increasingly likely, we are lumbered with him then we should play him. At CHAMPIONSHIP level he is capable of the ballwinning job and I think it would work playing him alongside ZZ/Ambrose/Shelvey/Wright.

If he does play and does half well it also puts him in the shop window.

*Ducks for cover:-)*
  • Options
    There's no doubt we need a Kinsella type player in the middle but i don't think it would be the end of the world if we didn't/couldn't get one.

Of far greater concern to me is Pardew's tactics this season. If we play football then we are on paper, as good as anyone in the division. If he goes with the long ball tactics that he favored last season then mid table is probably the best we can expect.