Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Transfer Talk

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]There are obviously very good financial and other reasons for getting Faye off the books.

However if, as is appearing increasingly likely, we are lumbered with him then we should play him. At CHAMPIONSHIP level he is capable of the ballwinning job and I think it would work playing him alongside ZZ/Ambrose/Shelvey/Wright.

If he does play and does half well it also puts him in the shop window.

*Ducks for cover:-)*

I agree. I don't think that he was ever as bad as some make out and at this level could do a job for us.
  • Options
    I don't got one second believe we haven't been after someone during the summer, we might still get them in, but best to start the panic now
  • Options
    Well, no doubt the club have been wanting to unload Faye for the same reasons as Marcus Bunt - Prem wages.

He's not been mentioned at all pre-season - except for some reference on the OS that he was on a week's trial at Stoke.
    I don't suppose anybody knows if he's still there, on trial elsewhere or back at Charlton?

Okay, if the club are hopeful of moving him on for financial reasons, then Pards won't play him (like Boogie).
    But should he be staying, will he soon figure in our remaining pre-season friendlies?

It seems daft to have a player otherwise sitting idle - and paying him what is probably now the highest player wages at the club. And, if his attitude is right - and barring prison sentence - as others have suggested, surely he could do a reasonable job at this level.
  • Options
    Yes it is to much to ask for JonJo to lead us to promotion. Anyone care to remember last year with MotoKill ? two games and he was the best fall back ever in the UK then he was out for ages and people were talking like he was Renaldo !!

JonJo may be the best thing since Parker MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE. God give the boy space and time FFS.

as for the midfield general. I have been banging on about it for years (as have most) but does this type of players exist in our price range ? ( free car wash and 2 vouchers to Tesco). I dont think Curbs could see it at the end and i think Dowie thought faye was it ( no dont laugh -- cry). Does Pardew see it i dont know. If this player exists then who is it and where is he?
  • Options
    If the supporters can see it, GH ...... then you can bet the management see it too.

But it's no good just knee jerk panic buying to get someone in no better than we'e already got.

And just because there's no back page gossipy rumours about - we're not in the Prem now - then that doesn't mean the club are not busy trying to pull in the right man. Anyway, they are I hope savvy enough not to tell the world their transfer targets. And that includes telling us what they are hoping to do, if it should compromise any dealings.

We've got to be patient too, I guess. 5 weeks of the window left, 5 weeks to pick up a frustrated angry Prem player not included as part of his manager's squad ;o)
  • Options
    I totally disagree with your assessment of Semedo. Until he was dropped to make way for Holland, Semedo was putting in some excellent performances.

Well i would say he is a better right back replacement than centre mid. Not saying he is not good enough at all, but i wouldnt include him in the starting 11.
  • Options
    I totally disagree with your assessment of Semedo. Until he was dropped to make way for Holland, Semedo was putting in some excellent performances.

Well i would say he is a better right back replacement than centre mid. Not saying he is not good enough at all, but i wouldnt include him in the starting 11.
  • Options
    P.S How do i qoute properly?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cafc #1[/cite]P.S How do i qoute properly?

Click BBCode button and then click quote and then post under the last [/quote]
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cafc #1[/cite]I totally disagree with your assessment of Semedo. Until he was dropped to make way for Holland, Semedo was putting in some excellent performances.

Fair enough, but I stick to the view that his early season performances show otherwise and I would certainly have him as the holding player in my starting 11.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Semedo was okay in the holding role, but I wouldn't ever call him 'ball-winning'. I think we could do a lot better in the DM department.

As it stands, however, people should remember that we have three prospects who play in central midfielder Shelvey, Arter, Wright, along with Racon who looked good in the glimpses we saw last year. Perhaps Pardew is thinking one or more of these is really going to crack on.
  • Options
    Hopefully Racon, but I dont think Pardew rates him....talk of him going out on loan. Wright is my tip for the future....the lad has vision.
  • Options
    I forgot Sinclair as well. So with Semedo and Holland that's seven central midfielders we have.
  • Options
    and Sinclair is pants.....
  • Options
    and at 34 Holland's role has to be as role model and mentor for youngsters like Jonjo and Josh Wright.

I sincerely hope Pardew hasn't got it in his head to play Matty as a first choice.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]and at 34 Holland's role has to be as role model and mentor for youngsters like Jonjo and Josh Wright.

I sincerely hope Pardew hasn't got it in his head to play Matty as a first choice.

If we wanted a role model and mentor then we should have kept Chrissy Powell.

A proper Charlton player that gave his all for the club.
  • Options
    Chrissy powell the best centre midfielder charlton never had, shda put him in there..
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Chrissy powell the best centre midfielder charlton never had, shda put him in there..

My point is that if you are going to have someone at the club to act as a role model rather than a first team player, it should at least be someone who has performed for that club rather than one who's best days were at Ipswich.
  • Options
    Just to go back to City Addicks the board and Pardew recognise that the priorities are a centralmidfielder and a centre back (maybe after Bougie that one may have changed).. There is still a big shake out to come from the transfer market. Portsmouth are looking to offload 5-6 players, Moyes is trying to get in six new players, West ham have only brought in one palyer (although he is utility so that means from Curbs point of view six players) not a lot of business has been done. Whislt we would love the team ins and outs to be settled before the end of the the close season but it may well goto the end of the window.
  • Options
    There you are, folks ........ the Kaptain, the voice of reason. ;o)
    And, of course, that seems to be more or less the reality of it.

Good post Kap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't see us coming any higher than 10th without the strong midfielder. If we manage to get that player then great. If we can't afford that player that's fine too, but people need to be realistic and stop saying we have a chance of the play offs. Golfie will get criticism because he is a negative poster generally but on this occasion he is right.

I guarantee you as soon as Holland is fit he will be straight back in the centre of midfield. We need to try something new!
  • Options
    I think we all know that we like to see a quality box to box ball winning midfielder but Golfie, how typical that in your list of midfielders you forgot ZZ, possibly our best midfielder, Semedo who played the holding role well until Pards changed things, Basey, who played on the left side in a Gareth Barry type role and looked good, or Ambrose who is capable of playing in a creative midfield role.

For me though, the biggest failings last season were

1. the lack of pace in the full backs and/or their ability to get forward to support attacks. Far too often we were pinned down in our own half with the opposition pushing up onto our full backs. Therefore, although they need a bit of polish, I'd like to see us start with Moo2 and Youga as first picks.

2. The inability of all our defenders to seek, hold and pass the ball to Charlton players. Too often there only instinct was to hoof it out. The best example of playing the ball well out of defence came against Palarse at home where Magic, Paddy, Halford and Youga virtually never failed to find a red shirt when they were in possession. This gave a great platform and not surprisingly we bossed the game. So I hope we keep Magic although I suspect he'll go somewhere if not to Betis.

Football is a team game and the opposition cannot dictate play when they don't have the ball. I hope we have spent a huge amount of time practicing keeping the ball and also to get as many players into advanced positions to attack. In midfield I'd play Basey orThomas , ZZ, Holland and Sam or Ambrose, and Semedo to come in if we need a more defensive line up. I'd keep a basic 4-4-2 but when we've got the ball allow the full backs range to get forward as much as possible.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    "Sorry Falcon, do not agree with your ''House of Cards'' comment. I think we are extremely lucky to have a board that have the long term future of the club at heart. We must be in a position to survive next season if promotion is not achieved. I believe we have a tremendous crop of youngsters coming through, whether this season is too soon for them, I don't know. I still have faith in Pards to bring them through. We all know he is aware of the mistakes that he and the club made last season, let's all hope he puts them right this time around. In Golfie's post he omitted Josh Wright from his selections. I have seen this lad play a couple of times now and think he is a tremendous talent, he also has had the benefit of getting toughened up at Barnet last season."

I don't think signing players like Faye & Traore had the long term future of the club at heart to be honest and the lack of youth being bloodied was a problem during Curbs reign too. Our reletaive success went to far too many peoples heads are we are now in the stage where we have as much chance of being relegated as promoted.

I think Shelvey is a genuine find and appears to have the ability to go onto the Premiership however it's a bit bloody rich to rely on youth when you've wasted a barreload of money on mercenaries whilst not given youth a chance . . . .

Nothing Pardew has done gives me any hope that he can turn it around. If anyone has genuine reasons I'd love to hear them.

Lee Cook anyone?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Nothing Pardew has done gives me any hope that he can turn it around. If anyone has genuine reasons I'd make love to him.

Odd!

Seriously though, if people could go back and check what they've written and make appropriate edits, things would make a lot more sense and be a lot more readable.
  • Options
    I'd make great love to Pardew if he got us, erm, up.

Seriously though.
  • Options
    maybe the club should have told the fans there intentions before asking them to renew there season tickets. We haven't invested in the team one bit and to pin your hopes on a bunch of kids is not fair on them and potentially could ruin there careers
  • Options
    I agree with that.

You win nothing with kids.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree with Alan Hansen
  • Options
    I think this is a bit of an exageration.

Weaver, Hudson, Bougherra, Fortune, Semedo, Holland, Zhi, Ambrose, Thomas, Sam, Gray, Varney, Dickson, Todorov, Fleetwood, Sinclair, Moutaouakil have a lot of games behind them. Albeit not all at Championship level, but that is a fair quota with 7-8 having had top flight experience.

We've a long while until the transfer window closes and there may be some deals in place subject to contract already. In order to keep that wage bill as lean as possible, our loanees and I reckon we'll get at least two from the Prem will come in very close to the big kick off. I'm sure we'll spend on at least one player in the next 10 days too, but with the mob mentioned and some real talent in Basey, Youga, Shelvey, Elliott and Racon coming through possibly at the right time and lets face it we've had a few lean years, I'm looking forward to it.

Much prefer this position, rather than going and watching the likes of Bent (M), Faye add nothing or McCarthy and Halford giving what they could, but prone to silliness in far too many games.

Shelvey looks the real deal, Basey will be very useful and I think Racon is underestimated. A Brighton supporting pal of mine said he was head and shoulders the rest in the games he saw at the Withdean last year. Nothing spectacular in terms of creativity, but break up play and the simple pass is what he can offer.
  • Options
    After Pardews comments last week in Spain that it was time to freshen things up and bring someone in, what has actually happened ? I wonder if we are not actually going to buy anyone else now and are waiting for the Prem sides to get their squads sorted and then join the scrabble to get the players surplus to requirements on season loan. Not totally opposed to this strategy if correct but seems a bit risky if the positions you are looking to strengthen are not available or the loan doesn`t come off. We might not see any movement on that front until near the end of the window ?