Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bougy to Baggies?

Comments

• Options
    I dont mind him going as i am not one of his biggest fans although i do think last season he did become a more composed player and therefore we should be getting at least 2.5 for him.

I know it was talked about on another topic but i do hope we go and get sodje now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]It looks 99% certain he is going.

Lets wait and see who has been lined up to replace him before get too excited.

If he goes, expect a replacement to be announced very quickly.

Is that code for you know something mate?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]It looks 99% certain he is going.

Lets wait and see who has been lined up to replace him before get too excited.

If he goes, expect a replacement to be announced very quickly.

Is that code for you know something mate?

I thought that. Your baying public demand to know!!
  • Options
    I reckon it'll be one of Sodje or Cranie.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]This rally is getting silly now. I understand that we need to balance the books and i understand that but we should at least be getting what we paid for him back. In a deal worth over 2million will be with bloody add ons.

That's likely to be the deal we signed him on.

I'm not sure what I'd read into a deal worth over £2m anyway, sounds like made-up journalism - i.e. think of an approximate value and publish that. Despite our need to sell to balance the books we aren't running a fire-sale and as he has to be replaced (preferably like with like) I can see us getting up to £2.5m and then spending most of that on a replacement(s).
  • Options
    No chnace it will be like for like. Pardew will be lucky to get £500,000. Its Sodje or f**k all.

So no midfield general or play maker and a weeker defence than last season. Which ever way peeps try to spin it and there is lots of logic in the "balancing books" arguement, its depressing.
  • Options
    This is depressing and shows a lack of ambition, are the board happy for charlton to be a mid table championship side ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite]This is depressing and shows a lack of ambition, are the board happy for charlton to be a mid table championship side ?

Or happy to keep us out of real doodo of Administration
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite]This is depressing and shows a lack of ambition, are the board happy for charlton to be a mid table championship side ?

Probably not but they will be happy if we don't end up like Leeds, Coventry, Sheff Weds.........
  • Options
    Looked what happened when we werent happy to be a mid-premiership club and spent loads of money to try and push on...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AFKA / Lookout can we have a sticky of 'Always look on the bright side of life' to cheer some of our members up as i'm worried the Samaritans won't be able to cope!
  • Options
    I guess your right... but it a bit bloomin frustrating. Lets hope some of the youngsters can really do their stuff and somewhere we find a new kinsella or Robinson.
  • Options
    I think 2m if true is robbery considering all the cash sploshing around in the Prem
  • Options
    i have to agree, all this talk about all the teams in for him and he is going for 2m.

As i said previously i dont think his loss will really effect the team as i dont rate him that highly but i do think he imroved last yr and this should be reflected in his price tag
  • Options
    O FFS we finish mid table in Chumps league YES mid table last season
    We aint trying to "push on" are we if (1) we aint brought anyone. (2) we are selling anyone we get get a bob for.

We took a huge gamble when Parker went.
    We took a huge gamble to give Dowie the big money
    We are taking a huge gamble in this fire sale

Lets hope is third time lucky.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]I dont mind him going as i am not one of his biggest fans although i do think last season he did become a more composed player and therefore we should be getting at least 2.5 for him.

Why? He is up for sale, presumably we have had a number of enquiries and presumably we have accepted the best offer on the table? We just have to live with players real value which is what somebody is prepared pay - end of.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I can understand selling some of these high earners and value players, with Boughera going perhaps cos we can't get Faye off the books, but still a bit puzzled why they sold big chris
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I can understand selling some of these high earners and value players but still a bit puzzled why they sold big chris

I assume it was because they got £400k up front. If that was the "undisclosed fee" of course:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I reckon it'll be one of Sodje or Cranie.

With only 2 centre backs left, i'd say we need both of them not just one.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I reckon it'll be one of Sodje or Cranie.

With only 2 centre backs left, i'd say we need both of them not just one.

Isn't Aswad Thomas meant to be a centre back?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shoot me down if way of the mark here, but somthing about this summer does not add up. it almost feels as if the board are trying to balance the books and get the club looking healthy money wise, with a view to a takeover? murray has hardly said a word this pre season. i just wonder if the end of the murray era is comming. get the books balanced then look to see what or who is interested. maybe i didnt get enough sleep last night due to those damm urban foxes but somthing dosnt smell right down in se7 at the moment and it aint got anything to the valley cafe... in the words of sir david frost "the Clues are There..." fire sale of players, no real money spent on replacements, targeted players going elswhere, the sponser debacle, low league english friendlies, boradroom silence, robson, £30 tickets.
  • Options
    you've forgotten the cardigan debacle..
  • Options
    as i said bing i think he improved as a player, and therfore should demand a higher transfer fee as he is a better player than he was 18 months ago
  • Options
    How's he worth more than about £2m? I remember him looking like a deer in the headlights in the Prem, totally out of his depth. He was decent last season had a few composed games not a bad player but I would say he's still a relative gamble for any team in the Prem. He's good on the ball but let's be honest we weren't exactly solid at the back with or without him. Hopefully Hudson will marshall a decent defence this year.
  • Options
    have to agree with adamtheaddick.........why the panic to have no debt ??

most, if not all championship clubs are in debt - some like The Saints are close to the edge but other like Ipswich are coping.

why the sudden seas change?? nEw owners looking at the books in a few months time willbe pleased - they wont in 6 months when we are scrapping against relegation.

where's Corporal Jones when you need him........."don't panic"
  • Options
    it's well known that the Club have been looking for outside investment for a while. It's surely much easier to attract that investment if your finances are in good shape. I'm not saying this is the case here or that anyone is close to making an offer but it's a possibility I suppose. More likely is that our Bank wants the debt reduced and you either do that by player sales or Directors dipping into their own pockets (again). Why should they do this ? Ok, they have got a few bob but they are hardly Abramovich's and at the end of the day they can't keep doing it. I suggest if anyone knows of someone with a few spare million laying around to get in contact with the Club. Until then get real. I really don't understand some of you. You'd rather we gambled and end up where Leeds are than be prudent and maybe drift in this division for a year or two. Ok, things don't look too bright but they could be far, far worse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]have to agree with adamtheaddick.........why the panic to have no debt ??
    For a myriad of reasson including 1) Cos if we're looking to bring in outside investment then little or no debt makes us more attractive 2) Its better to pay off debt when you have a larger income (i.e. parachute payments, players wanted etc) as it means youre not running at a loss that your income wont cover 3) The club, like most other organisations, could be viewing the current credit market and not be confident of having access to cheap credit.
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    most, if not all championship clubs are in debt - some like The Saints are close to the edge but other like Ipswich are coping.
    Most if not all teams that have been relegated have had huge financial problems. Ipswich are only now coping cos they have a rich backer. Previously struggled big time. QPR, Leicester, Forest, Leeds, Bradford, Southampton, Sheff Utd, Watford, Palace, Barnsley, Sheff Wed etc all have had or still have major financial problems.
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]why the sudden seas change?? nEw owners looking at the books in a few months time willbe pleased - they wont in 6 months when we are scrapping against relegation.
    This is naive (at best). Any new backer will want the club to financially viable first as its a platform to build on. They will not generally invest their money in a cash blackhole. Whose to say that the reported investors of 6mths ago looked at our books and said "No. Thanks. But come back to us if you can show X, Y & Z"?
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]where's Corporal Jones when you need him........."don't panic"

Most of us arent Golfie. We'll leave that to you.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Until then get real. I really don't understand some of you. You'd rather we gambled and end up where Leeds are than be prudent and maybe drift in this division for a year or two. Ok, things don't look too bright but they could be far, far worse.

Fully agreed
  • Options
    What Dan and Large said.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]have to agree with adamtheaddick.........why the panic to have no debt ??

why the sudden seas change?? nEw owners looking at the books in a few months time willbe pleased - they wont in 6 months when we are scrapping against relegation.

where's Corporal Jones when you need him........."don't panic"

Golfie, you are an intelligent bloke, and you work in the financial services sector: what advice would you give to customer who's personal expediture is too high, are living beyond their means, borrowing money at penal rates on their credit card and who approaches you wanting to borrow more money to finance a extra asset purchase? These factors make anybody a very high risk and since we were relegated, this is what Charlton have become without remedial action. Let me guess what your advice might be:

1. Cut our unnecessary spending on consumerables - CAFC equivalent = getting rid of the Ladies Team and non essential staff
    2. Sell some of your assets (if you are asset rich) to reduce your expensive credit card debts - CAFC equivalent = Player sales
    3. Reschedule your debts by paying off expensive credit card debt by affordable long-term debt - CAFC equivalent = rights issue enabling short term costly debt to be converted to long term affordable debt

Once these things are done, the customer may then be "fit enough" to borrow some additional money to fund additional asset purchases - CAFC Equivalent = new players once debt reduced to affordable levels.

In summary a householder has to live within it's means, so has the club. A householder who has control of it's costs and living within it's means is a better risk for a lender. Thats what the club is doing. The natural corollary to this is that a club financially sound is a better target for purchase.

If the existing shareholders have exhausted their means to move the club forward financially then attracting a potential purchaser, whilst worrying, maybe the best chance of this club regaining it's former status.